• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew suits

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the quality? Comparable to Brooks mainline suits?

I like the fact that they are 3 roll 2.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
in no way comparable to anything brooks produces

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting, I thought they had gotten better?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
they have gotten better in the sense they are better than other mall brand suits (H&M, BR, etc), but the price has gone up

you buy them if they fit you well and you can get them on sale (you usually can). they rarely will offer premium made-in-italy models that will retail for $900ish, even these are meh quality and at that price you can get much better.

they're a good starter brand for students and the fit will be MUCH better than anything brooks offers, other than 1818 and black fleece

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good points Doc.

I guess I'm still trying to find the best "beginner suits" in terms of price point & value. BB Fitzgerald is the best I've come across so far. I think I would rather do Blue Label but finding a solid navy and solid charcoal on sale is an impossible task.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
another advantage is that pants and jackets are sold as seperates. watch the sales online, watch coupons, and check in stores. your student discount will stack with all sales, so you can get some pretty good deals at the end of the season, although they've passed for now and you'll be waiting another month.

people here like j crew because of the styling and fit, not because of the quality.

if you want a TRUE starter suit just buy two or three H&M suits on a sale day. fit will be very nice, quality good enough for your needs.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I will add that I think people on this board put too much emphasis on intagibles like 'quality', when for most people who rarely wear a suit, things like the quality of the construction really don't mean as much.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Good points Doc.

I guess I'm still trying to find the best "beginner suits" in terms of price point & value. BB Fitzgerald is the best I've come across so far. I think I would rather do Blue Label but finding a solid navy and solid charcoal on sale is an impossible task.

Dude you ******* live on this forum. Check B&S, I'm sure you'll find something way better and way cheaper than BB or Jcrew

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Good points Doc.

Conne, had you sticked to your diet and exercise plan like you kept telling us you would, you'd look good in Purple Label or, hell, even Black Label right now and can just wait for the next great Woodbury sale.

Get on it boy.
smile.gif

Median

Reaction score
I actually have the Aldridge in navy with slim cut pants. The jacket cut is quite trim (not boxy, not overly fashion-forward, but not stuffy either); it's half-canvassed. The lapels are narrow-medium, giving it overall a young look. The shoulders have light padding so follow your natural line quite well. Do some minor alterations and it's a good beater suit.

In no way is it as good a bargain as a full-canvassed RLBL or whatever on discount, but it's a pretty nice interview suit or somesuch if you need to order something safe but much nicer than anything you'd get in the average mall.

Material not at all comparable to Brooks Fitz/Regent, but neither is the price, and the silhouette is still youthful (think mid-late 20s rather than 30s)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Dude you ******* live on this forum. Check B&S, I'm sure you'll find something way better and way cheaper than BB or Jcrew

+1, Conne. But the Fitzgerald is a nice suit, as long as you're can carry that fit well.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal

+1. Conne, in all this time, have you actually paid any attention at all? Wow, like seriously, wow.

Why not get a TaT suit?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a wool suit from J Crew, but I am considering one of their cotton suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads