• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew suits

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I just bought a J.Crew suit, and here are my thoughts:

Pros.
Sold Separately, so I got the slimmer classic fit pants.
Shoulders aren't so stiff - no huge shoulder pads here.
I actually like the fabric. It's the year-round solid charcoal suit, and the color is sufficiently dark for my liking. The fabric itself doesn't feel cheap to my inexperienced senses.

Cons.
Fits weird in the chest. I'm a slim dude (chest is a solid 39-40, waist is 34) and the chest seems to bow out on the 40R.
The pants have no extra fabric for the cuff to be adjusted (in other words, it's a 1.5" cuff. No going bigger).
Made in Mexico.

Overall I'm pleased with it considering the price I paid. I was happy because I got the vest with it as well, fulfilling a dream of mine to have a 3-piece suit.

As for other stores, I've never seen an H&M suit in my local store that isn't ridiculously slim/short. If they exist, I would go for one of those since they're so cheap. Probably similar quality.

From now on, though, J.Crew will strictly be a casual pants, shirts, polos, etc. shop for me. For nicer things, I'll be scouring B&S and looking for higher quality suits online.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
I really tried to like my jcrew suit (intended as a beater), but ended up returning it. I just couldn't deal with the polyester lining and sketchy lapel stitching.

smoothie

Reaction score
Damn i really wanna pull the trigger on this suit!

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smoothie
Damn i really wanna pull the trigger on this suit!

Don't do it, man.

That is, unless, you've tried on J.Crew's jackets before.

On me, at least, they fit weird in the chest. The lapels bow out. It's difficult to determine the cause.

But unless you have tried on one of their jackets and are extremely happy with how it fits you, don't do it. It will only lead to disappointment and regret. Believe you me. I just bought a J.Crew suit and have decided to return it. Just be patient and find something better either here on B&S or eBay or thrift stores or consignment shops.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
+1. Conne, in all this time, have you actually paid any attention at all? Wow, like seriously, wow.

Why not get a TaT suit?

He may be mildly marsupialed.

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
Don't do it, man.

That is, unless, you've tried on J.Crew's jackets before.

On me, at least, they fit weird in the chest. The lapels bow out. It's difficult to determine the cause.

But unless you have tried on one of their jackets and are extremely happy with how it fits you, don't do it. It will only lead to disappointment and regret. Believe you me. I just bought a J.Crew suit and have decided to return it. Just be patient and find something better either here on B&S or eBay or thrift stores or consignment shops.

Yeah, I have quite a few J Crew jackets some are tight as hell some fit pretty good. It's really a hit or miss. Most of the jackets i have purchased on ebay for relatively low prices then what they go for on retail or what they go on as sale.

I really don't have alot of suits, only 2 black ones, and we all know the consensus on that.
I rarely wear suits, so even as a beater suit, it will last me a long time if i stay same weight haha.

But thanks for looking out!

u352

Reaction score
i just recieved my Ludlow two button suit. It feels really light weight. Kinda cheap but that was the first impression. As I took it off the hanger to put it on I then noticed it was made in China. Im having trouble getting by that. Honestly.

The total package suit and slacks was $675. My typical bespoke suits start at $1000 and feel like there is fabric there not to mention they fit me perfect.

T

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads