• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew suits

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I wouldn't buy a wool suit from J Crew, but I am considering one of their cotton suits.
+1
Originally Posted by apropos
MTM over the internet is a crapshoot?
Not if you can get your measurements taken by el jefe.
wink.gif

Mr T

Reaction score
I think the best value in starter suits right now are the Valentinos offered by affiliate ehaberdasher.com. While they last they are only $299.

Quatsch

Reaction score
I recently got the "Aldridge Italian Slim" suit in med/dark grey flannel from last fall, because I had need of a suit quickly and didn't have a ton of money to spend. Overall, I'm very pleased. I paid something like $240+shipping, its fit and apparent quality are much better than I had expected. Still, not great, but I'm pleasantly surprised - for how often I need to wear a suit, its fine.

eponymous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
I think the best value in starter suits right now are the Valentinos offered by affiliate ehaberdasher.com. While they last they are only $299.

What's the quality like on those? Are they half/full canvassed?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a J. Crew Navy Blazer after Lent ends. It seems like the best price for something with soft shoulders and narrow lapels. Are there any better options? RLBL shoulders are too strong, RLPL lapels seem too wide. And it's rare to find those on sale, anyways.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eponymous
What's the quality like on those? Are they half/full canvassed?

The Valentino suits are half canvassed - great quality for the price. Slimmer fit - especially the trousers so bear that in mind. Ideal for a drop 7 guy. If you're looking for full canvas and want high quality/value and not break the bank - try a Benjamin suit - free return shipping on Benjamins also.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
I'm thinking about getting a J. Crew Navy Blazer after Lent ends. It seems like the best price for something with soft shoulders and narrow lapels. Are there any better options? RLBL shoulders are too strong, RLPL lapels seem too wide. And it's rare to find those on sale, anyways.

I think you should hold out for something better. A navy blazer is such a staple and you will wear it so often that it should be one of the better pieces in your closet. You should be able to snag an RL Polo in the upcoming F&F sale for at least 30% +15% off, possibly more if November's was any indication. Even a BB regent blazer would be a decent alternative- it has narrow lapels, and they have a 3 button model with 3 patch pockets, though the shoulders aren't completely natural. Unless the J. Crew is very, very inexpensive, it will be a waste of money you should otherwise put towards a better piece.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, wouldn't someone with 18,000 less posts than the OP get immediately flamed for asking if J. Crew suits were comparable to Brooks mainline? Furthermore, shouldn't anyone who has posted so much on a forum like this should be able to distinguish between the two immediately upon inspection?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a valid question. J. Crew has been making claims that they are canvassing suits and the degree to which this is actually happening is a fair question (see the clickable diagram halfway down the page in which they distinguish their suits from "cheap" brands that fuse their suits.

Given that J. Crew's marketing department is probably not as sophisticated as the average SF member and that J. Crew's marketing has a track record of making some dubious claims (like their calfskin/cordovan penny loafers: "extra-durable Cordovan leather with a classic oxblood finish" item # 14635), it's fair to question the validity of the statements they make regarding their new line of suits.

It's easy to pick on Conne, but I'm also curious if anyone has any experience with the new J. Crew suits.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I will add that I think people on this board put too much emphasis on intagibles like 'quality', when for most people who rarely wear a suit, things like the quality of the construction really don't mean as much.

Unfortunately, poor quality fabric tends to look like poor quality fabric.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
I think it's a valid question. J. Crew has been making claims that they are canvassing suits and the degree to which this is actually happening is a fair question (see the clickable diagram halfway down the page in which they distinguish their suits from "cheap" brands that fuse their suits. Given that J. Crew's marketing department is probably not as sophisticated as the average SF member and that J. Crew's marketing has a track record of making some dubious claims (like their calfskin/cordovan penny loafers: "extra-durable Cordovan leather with a classic oxblood finish" item # 14635), it's fair to question the validity of the statements they make regarding their new line of suits. It's easy to pick on Conne, but I'm also curious if anyone has any experience with the new J. Crew suits.
True, but that particular line of suits was discussed here, and the verdict was half-canvassed: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=76709&page=2 Also, I thought the OP was simply referring to the regular line of J. Crew suits (not the new one mentioned above), the quality of which is a topic that has come up often. If we're talking about the new higher-end suits, I'd be curious as well.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Dude you ******* live on this forum. Check B&S, I'm sure you'll find something way better and way cheaper than BB or Jcrew

Is B&S Ben Silver?

Beta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eHaberdasher
The Valentino suits are half canvassed - great quality for the price. Slimmer fit - especially the trousers so bear that in mind. Ideal for a drop 7 guy. If you're looking for full canvas and want high quality/value and not break the bank - try a Benjamin suit - free return shipping on Benjamins also.

are the Benjamins slim fit as well?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beta
are the Benjamins slim fit as well?

The Lucente suit is pretty slim - drop 7. The Maestro model is slimmer with a higher armhole, but not as slim as the Lucente.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads