1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

EG has infinitely better materials and construction. There are other better heritage/workwear brands as well. J. Crew's marketing is genius (same with RRL). It's a mall brand trying to present itself as something more.

Four Pins actually wrote something kinda funny about it, although I'd argue that a majority of RRL is not worth it unless you're picking up at massive discount:

"What The Lookbook Projects: You really want to wear brands like Nanamica and Sophnet and RRL and Engineered Garments, but you're too poor.

What Wearing The Brand Is Actually Like: You really want to wear brands like Nanamica and Sophnet and RRL and Engineered Garments, but you're too poor. "

If you just want budget basics, Uniqlo makes more sense. If you want quality basics, there are plenty of other brands that I'd rather pay a little more for like Epaulet/WvG whatever.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. wj4

wj4 Senior member

That's interesting. I only started buying J. Crew in the tail end of 2008 when I was nearing the end of my undergrad career. 2 of my favorite pieces, regardless of brand or price, are J. Crew sweaters. Both were bought around 2008-2009 and have held up fine after numerous wears and washes.

I think J. Crew's quality is even on par with some of the more expensive brands, ie Vince, and Jack Spade. If anything, I think Jack Spade is one of the most overrated brands. I ended up returning everything of theirs, even though pieces were bought on deep discount.

3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Jack Spade is awful.

2 people like this.
  4. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

Do you know where the fabrics from EG are sourced? Are you familiar with the factories that produce each garment, and the individuals who do so?

I don't trust information from people on "materials and construction" who are not experienced tailors (or those who work in the textile industry). Frankly, everyone else has no idea what they're talking about.

5. applky

applky Senior member

Agreed 100%, especially to those bolded sections. I've never found Uniqlo to work for me except for underwear, but I'm in the minority on that one, for sure. Especially now that they have ecommerce... wonder why that took so long.

Maybe we're saying the same thing, but I think the quality of J Crew is on par with Jack Spade in that they're both poor to mediocre. My J Crew sweaters have all stretched like crazy, more than most knits. Sold a few earlier this winter, and had to put in the ad that they stretch. It's just a you-get-what-you-pay-for situation. If you buy a cashmere sweater on sale for $100-ish, then you (read: I) can't expect it to be like a William Lockie or John Smedley.

But their swim trunks are pretty great! Though the flap coin pocket this season was a mistake, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  6. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

I bought one of the heathered cotton shirts during the Christmas sale ($45 or so including shipping) and I thought the quality was fantastic for the price. Sure there are brands I would rather wear, but for an everyday shirt to wear to work (I have a fairly casual office) or a last second item to throw on before heading to the bar, it works great. I have no complaints. I wouldn't buy their chinos or cords, since I expect more out of a pair of pants. But I think for shirts they are fine. I probably wouldn't buy them for purely casual wear though.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  7. Robert

Robert Senior member

This.

Even over the past couple of years, I've seen a decline.

But also, in my view, it's not only been a decline in materials and workmanship. It's also been a decline in aesthetics. There stuff is coming to look more and more generic. Granted, they have never been as innovative as brands like EG, et al, but even a few years ago, they offered things that were a bit distinctive, e.g., the fireman's jacket, even the fatigue jacket.

Now, if you want something that's a bit above the fray, you have to look beyond their main line and pay more for their "other" line, i.e., Wallace and whatever it is.

I've been disappointed with their line for at least a year now. It's prompted me to look in other places I might not have checked before. I'm surprised, actually, to find things I like in line-ups from Orvis and LL Bean.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

They have a good amount of new things im interested in. There seems to be an indigo theme going with the new indigo dyed sweats, indigo cpo shirt, japanese denim sport coat etc... They carry SO much product its hard not to see some as generic. But if you really look they have some really unique pieces as great prices.

9. toshin

toshin Member

Does anyone else find alot of their pictures way too bright/processed?

Im trying to decide which of the pumpkin or dark flannel lightweight chinos I should get...and I honestly can't tell.
    Are they so light/bright in real life?
    Strangely, its hard to find other pics on google images etc.

Also the nato straps are interesting. Wonder how itd be just as a wrist band. No normal bands fit my skinny wrists, only straps.
    https://www.jcrew.com/browse/popup_.../13837_SP0665?$pdp_fs418$&isFeatureColor=true

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  10. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

if anyone is a size SMALL and would like a dark blue selvedge j.crew button up FREE, pls shoot me a PM. i've grown out of it and doubt it would get much on eBay, so if you see yourself putting it to use i'd rather just give it away (provided you pay for shipping).

2 people like this.
  11. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Super kind gesture. I'd take you up but I'll let someone who will wear it more often have a chance.

Kudos to you, friend!

12. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

thanks man, i've responded back to the first person to message me. waiting to hear back.

13. arcturuz

arcturuz Well-Known Member

I have 3 Ludlow dress shirts of the same size, all 3 of them fit very differently from very tight to loose.

for such quality, I amazed at the amount they price the Ludlow shirts

14. 3 Prague Winters

3 Prague Winters Senior member

[​IMG]

anyone have this sweater? is it good?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I have been shifting some spending from J Crew to brands like Epaulet and back to RL recently. For example, I've tossed my J Crew OCBD in favor of Epaulet and Brooks Brothers. However, for stuff like the cashmere sweaters, chinos, collaborations, and the Ludlow line, I maintain J Crew is pretty good. I know it is much maligned on this thread, but Ludlow suiting fits me great in 42/34 off the rack, and the suits continually get compliments. Same with the cashmere v-neck and crew neck sweaters; I basically get one or two per season. Wearing "heather oceanfront" and the "heather ruby" along with the grey this spring and getting tons of compliments. For a 30 year old professional guy in a city, the fit and styling tends to be spot on, IMO, at good prices during the 25%-30% sales for cardmembers.

16. Robert

Robert Senior member

I agree, A. I have Ludlow jackets and suits, and they fit me perfectly and I feel they are somewhat timeless.

And I agree about the sweaters and collabs. There is still good stuff there, and I still shop there. Just seems like I am finding less there that interests me these days.

17. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Not sure that most people would agree that the skinny lapels of the Ludlow suit are "timeless." And I say that as the owner of a navy Ludlow suit. I like it, and it fits me well. But I think the skinny lapels will date it soon.

18. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

Yea I agree the skinny lapels are the only thing holding me back from buying more suits since they fit me so well off the rack. The skinny lapels are indeed very fashion forward compared to other mall brands like club monaco whose lapels are more traditional even with a slim fit. At this point I only buy the sport coats at steep discount for work purposes but I can't see myself buying anymore suits since they rarely go on sale.

19. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Skinny lapel is nothing new. Mods and skinheads have been doing it for decades, along with skinny ties and pants with no break. It just caught fire in the last several years among the general public.

I'm a relatively lean guy and I prefer notch lapel at 2.5 to 3". I will continue to rock this when the trend shifts.

2 people like this.
  20. wj4

wj4 Senior member

The Ludlow shirts are absolutely overpriced. Even on sale I don't bother.

I do like their washed shirts and buy at $40 or less. That said, I bought 4 of them last week. 3 fit great as I expected. One of them fits pretty wide. Will need to have my tailor take the width in now. Lol. All are size small in slim cut too. I agree with you in variation.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014