J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

As Robert said, definitely the Harris Tweed. I've tried all three. The brown herringbone is the worst of the (not necessarily bad mind you). Had some fuzz already off it. The navy is nice, but the shoulders went out too far on the side. The Harris Tweed is great, but I'm just not sold on the length. I was told it looked fine by people I trust, but I'm just holding off for now. The rest of the jacket is great though.

2. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

BTW, anyone remember what Black Friday was for them last year?

3. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

i 3rd the Harris Tweed choice.

4. flyry

flyry Member

this. anyone have any inkling what it will be this year? I got my eye on a few shirts, but i don't want to feel dumb for not waiting a week.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I decided to go with this Harris Tweed suit:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~07182/07182.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/N.../07183.jsp?isSaleItem=false&isFromSearch=true

Unfortunately, I got a size too big in the pants (I am between sizes). Now, my size is out of stock and the pants won't be restocked again. The pants I have now are workable, but will be needed to taken in at the waist, and tapered from knee to ankle. I have three options here

1) Get paints tailored and attempt to make suit work
    2) Return pants and just use jacket as a blazer (the wool is very thick and substantial)
    3) Return both pants and jacket and get the brown herringbone tweed, which has been restocked after being sold out

6. Robert

Robert Senior member

A bit off topic but since I bought the item in question at J. Crew, I thought I'd drop this in here!

For a while now, since losing a little weight, I've been obsessing over whether my Baracuta jacket fits too big. My main concern is the length. I have a 44 and I really should be wearing at least a 42. My fit is like the guys in this video in the red and blue jackets as opposed to the guy in the tan jacket--and as opposed to J. Crew models and other models I see with the jacket. I dunno,maybe the bigger fit is more of an old guy fit, which would be appropriate for me!

Anyway, what do you think?

7. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Senior member

It would be cool if you had dance moves like that guy. Those jackets are kind of effing great, and can often be found @ Salvation Army stores for approximately $1.99

8. masshi

masshi Senior member

9. Arnold Grape

My advice on this is that the non-oxford washed shirts tend to fit a bit larger than the oxford shirts. However, whether because of quality control or the specific fabric used, all of these shirts may fit slightly different, even in the same size. (e.g. I recently tried on three of the same blue oxford shirt in slim fit in medium, and each shirt seemed to fit a bit differently.) Therefore, if you have access to a J. Crew store I would highly recommend going in to try these on. Also, if you're looking for slim fitting oxford and have a bit more money, I would highly recommend United shirts, which have a superior cut and construction. That being said, at a sale price of $60 or less, the J. Crew shirts are a deal.

10. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

How would you say United Stock's cut compares to J.Crew's slim fit? Been curious about them for a while.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

11. Arnold Grape

I am a size medium in J. Crew slim/ regular and a large in the United Stock Dry Goods Oxford Shirts. The arms on the United shirts are definitely slimmer than the J. Crew Slim Fit shirts, and taper more toward the hem. (The arms are also cut longer.) Meanwhile, the body of the United shirts are possibly the same, if not a bit slimmer on average and possibly a hair shorter than some of the J. Crew Oxford Shirts that I have tried. That being said: depending on the particular J. Crew Oxford (since they all seem to be cut differently in my experience, due in part to quality control issues and the particular fabric used), some of those shirts also run fairly slim through the body and may possibly shrink in the wash. The neck on the J. Crew Slim-Fit shirts is also a bit smaller than the United Oxfords.

12. jstrath406

jstrath406 Senior member

Anyone own the Wallace & Barnes Skiff Jacket? It's wool and doesn't look like a bad option at 25% off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. sholom

sholom Senior member

14. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Awesome jacket. I really like it a lot. Was thinking of picking up one myself. They're pretty true to size.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

15. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

Thanks for the info!