J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Typically yes, as long as they can recognize the merchandise. You'll also get whatever the going rate for the item is currently which could mean a sale price if it's currently marked down.

2. Robert

Robert Senior member

Specifics? What was the shirt, was it sale or regular price, etc.? Just curious, since the only time I've had anything cancelled was during a final sale around the holidays when things were flying out the door there. Which is understandable.

3. Golf54

Golf54 Senior member

Can you get a barbour jacket on discount via J Crew right now or any time soon? Or should I look else where?

4. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

The order that was cancelled was for one of the Irish linen shirts on final sale. Understandable that they ran out, I was mostly just annoyed that they didn't send out an automatic email saying it was cancelled and that the size/colour I ordered was still listed as "in stock" on the site for a couple weeks afterwards. This is the one that keeps getting delayed (so far Oct 14 > Oct 29 > Nov 5 > Jan 1).

</entitled whining>

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

5. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

oops, wrong thread...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

6. Robert

Robert Senior member

Weird. That slim white shirt is a very good shirt. I own one. But it's not like its a hot cakes item.

The thing about the automatic reply, or not getting one, etc.--I understand the frustration. At the same time, what I've learned in my short time as a web content developer is that computers are basically stupid. It's hard to get them to automatically do anything and get it consistently right. So... And of course it would take incredible staff resources to send a personal note about it.

7. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

Nice, glad to hear you like the shirt. I think I'll just stay on the waiting list for it, since apparently some items have been shipping way before the listed back-order dates.

8. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

I have one in sz S. NWOT if anyone interested

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

9. Robert

Robert Senior member

Just grabbed the Barn Jacket at 40 percent off final sale and $25 customer appreciation card. Been hankering after this one a while.

10. shadykay sf

shadykay sf Senior member

40% off in-store?

11. Porchester

Porchester New Member

Yes, definitely a little stretch, as long as you're not talking about their "raw" denim. Am wearing them as I type.

12. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Senior member

It's probably moot, but I have to disagree. I ended up buying the aforementioned 484 Slim-Fit Jean in the Selvedge Crinkle Wash and was not as impressed as with the 484 "garment dyed jean" (or whatever they're called). I'm not as into denim as others, but I have owned Wings + Horns; APC; United, etc. I found the J. Crew denim to be cut fairly well, but the finishing was poor and the denim just did not seem on par with the competition, at least for the price. The inseam on the jeans is left unfinished and the details were bad and/ or annoying. (e.g. chambray inlay on the button fly) Additionally, they did not seem to be willing to stretch much beyond a fraction of an inch, the way the 484 Garment Dyed Jeans do. That being said, I was happy enough with the initial fit, which in my size is a lot like the APC Petit Standard with more rise, that I did end up ordering the 484's in the Raw at the sale price, with the hope that they will be superior/ contain a fraction more stretch. Which is, part and parcel, of finding the perfect jean. Did you have a different experience w/ the J Crew Raws, Porchester ?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

13. Porchester

Porchester New Member

I was responding specifically to the question about stretch, and I've found that mine do indeed have a nice stretch both in the waist (compared to the same 484 fit in cords) and in the jean itself when squatting, bending, etc.

In terms of quality, these are actually my first experience with J. Crew denim. Prior to purchasing these, I've been wearing nothing but Nudie and Edwin selvedge for several years, and I agree that the J. Crew jeans are not on par. But I wouldn't really expect them to be, as they are significantly less expensive and from a chain store. I am happy with them so far, taking them for what they are (and perhaps more importantly, so is the missus).

14. Robert

Robert Senior member