1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. onoudidntgf

onoudidntgf Senior member

Do you have any of the other 484s to compare the stretching with? I'm asking because I have the garment dyed ones and those fit well.

2. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Senior member

Actually, I do have the Garment Dyed Jeans in the 484, and the fit is virtually the same. (The Raw Denim may stretch a hair more than the garment dyed ones.) Could be a matter of preference in terms of the fit and size you want. For me the Garment Dyed in 30 x 34 also has stretched to a 34" actual waist.

3. onoudidntgf

onoudidntgf Senior member

Damn that's crazy it stretched that much. I'll measure mine when I get home and see how much it has stretched. I don't think it was too much but the 29 was super tight when I first got it.

4. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

Definitely possible that the sizing inconsistencies are due to (lack of) quality control, although my slim shirts from the past few seasons have been surprisingly consistent.

You've probably already thought about this, but you could always get your regular shirts tailored; I think the only major difference between the slim and regular fits are the chest/waist measurements, so it shouldn't cost much for a tailor to slim them down.

FWIW, I wash all my J.Crew shirts in cold water and hang-dry, and they haven't shrunk at all.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  5. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

anyone interested in the wallace & barnes bomber?

[​IMG]

6. shadykay sf

shadykay sf Senior member

Excellent jacket, I'm afraid I have too many bombers though....or do I????

7. masshi

masshi Senior member

thanks, j

and haha no, I never thought to get them tailored (I'm kinda on the slow side; never been to a tailor either)

and just a dumb question to throw out there - what's the difference between an oxford shirt and a "regular" shirt (like a secret wash shirt)?

8. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Senior member

Quote:Oxford shirts are made from heavier oxford cloth, while the 'Secret Wash Shirt' is made from a thinner material, better worn in warmer weather. Also, tailoring J. Crew shirts doesn't seem to make sense to me, specifically in reference to the cost it would take, when you might just buy another (J. Crew) shirt altogether.

1 person likes this.
  9. shadykay sf

10. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

I regularly buy J Crew shirts on sale for $20. No way I'd pay to have one of their shirts tailored.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

FWIW, J Crew dress shirting (both the their own Ludlow and the Thomas Mason) are good deals right now. In store I got the Ludlow dress shirts for about $40 each. I picked up two Thomas Mason shirts as well. I needed workhorse shirts for the week and got a bunch (two white, two blue pattern, one pink). I may pick up more. I prefer the main J Crew line shirts to stuff like Brooks Brothers's non OCBD offerings as they fit a bit slimmer and are not non-iron. The Thomas Mason shirts are a good deal at about $100; they are better shirts than Thomas Pink IMO. The Thomas Mason royal oxford in pink is one of the best pink dress shirts I have owned.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  12. shadykay sf

Thanks for the info.

Not a fan of how the Ludlows fit, need to try Thomas Masons...but at $100 a pop, I'm better off sticking to ESF BB.

13. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I have BB ESF, Jcrew regular, Jcrew TM and Kamakura.

Jcrew TM uses pretty nice fabric but it's definitely not worth anywhere close $100. I paid $75 for it and even at that price, I rather go with BB ESF shrits or Kamakura shirts. The collars are way too small for my taste. From my own experienece, I say BB ESF shirts and Kamakura shirts are a better deal from the price range between $50 to $100.

Not to mention, the TM shirts do not offer any neck sizes or sleeve sizes and simply use XS to XL.

14. Robert

Robert Senior member

I unfortunately bought a few ludlow shirts last year. I think they're terrible. The collar is odd, too small, and the fit is either too big in a large or too small in a medium. I found a much better alternative in JC Penney dress shirts, believe it or not.

But I love the "washed" shirts. Can't get enough of those. And no, don't tailor those. They're casual shirts, don't overthink the fit.

15. thonez

thonez Senior member

I tried one of those ludlow shirts when I saw them heavily discounted in store. It was too short, too wide, and the collars didn't come close to touching down.... not sure how J. Crew came up with that fit...

16. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

JC fans. How is the Nylon Snorkel Parka? What's your thought on it? It's around $350 right now, but can be had for $260 at the current sale.

Is it worth it at this price or is it better to save up and buy the ubquitous Canda Goose.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/nylon/PRDOVR~05671/05671.jsp

EDIT: I'm not sure why Jcrew keeps on linking me to the wrong jacket. But if it doesn't link you to the snorkel, it's called the Snorkel constructed in Nylon with only the navy colorway available.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  17. Robert

Robert Senior member

Yep, I've been looking at this one, too (the snorkel parka). I'm not sure. I haven't seen it real life. Looks good here, but I'd be interested in hearing what others who've seen it have to say.

And yeah, there's something oddly wrong with the link.

This one, right?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  18. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

that's the one.

19. Robert

Robert Senior member

I do like it quite a bit from the photos. But yeah, is it worth $250 or so (and that's with the 30 percent)? I dunno.

20. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Lol, everything I like at J Crew always gets bad reviews on this thread... At $40 or so it's hard to beat the regular Ludlow, IMO. The collar width works for me, and they take ties very well. The J Crew (either ludlow or TM) fit me pretty perfectly OTR (I wear them tucked in with trousers or suits). I wore my white one today. BB ESF oxfords are great, but I can't really buy the rest as they are non-iron (which I don't wear). So for spread collar shirts I've gone with J Crew for a variety of patterns and colors (stripe, gingham, blue, white and pink).