1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. netseeker09

netseeker09 Well-Known Member

jealous... I liked this. I found it particularly nice on the model[​IMG]

2. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

I got it a couple of weeks ago. I'm usually a medium (6'/190) in most shirts, but I size down to a small for outerwear. This was no exception.

I actually found the fit a bit larger than their other outerwear - it was a bit boxy, and I had to take it to my tailor to get it taken in at the sides (I also may have to get the sleeves slimmed a bit in the future). Although it's 100% wool, the wool is a bit of lighter weight than more traditional toggle coats (it's also fully unlined) I've worn, so it may not suffice as a pure, heavy-duty winter coat on the coldest of cold days. I think the detailing is fine, but I also wear the jacket casually, and find the length just a bit too long, although I definitely prefer a shorter jacket. Also, a very minor gripe (and I recognize this is an untraditional detail), but I am sometimes frustrated that there are no pockets to put my hands in while walking. There are two front flap pockets (which I actually prefer to the classic patch pocket), but an additional set of pockets would have been helpful for me in terms of keeping my hands warm. Overall, the color is beautiful, the detailing is great (my tailor commented on the jacket's quality, at least), and aside from a bit of a boxy cut and length issues, I'd recommend it, especially at its current sale price.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. shadykay sf

shadykay sf Senior member

How do those sample sales work? Only Mediums and 32s?

I walked by the sample sale from work but didn't go in.

4. ChasingBobby

ChasingBobby Senior member

All sizes...
    From XS to XL

Pants sizes from 30 to 36.

apparently its a Jcrew/Madewell Sample sale...but I didn't see much madewell..

Def. pick up the sweaters...I scored a few wool Shawls and wool cardigans for $35/ea. and they all from this current season.

Blazers/sportcoats from $80-$120
    Winter outerwears is $150
    Spring/fall jackets is $60-$120
    Shoes are $100.
    Shirts from $25-$50
    Hoodys $35

it will last till end of the week. Best to get there the first day for all the good stuff.

its located @ 225 and 5th avenue which is Mens Sample Sale. Ladies are @ 260 5th avenue.

5. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Jealous of you bastards from New York scoring all the sample sales.

6. shadykay sf

Damn! I should swing by after work....but by that time there's always a long line.

7. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

saw this over the wkd, looks much better in person than the stock photo. good layering piece. it's a darker navy. havent seen the military olive one yet though.

[​IMG]

8. ChasingBobby

I suggest you to attend when they open....or around 11:30...hr or 1/2hr before lunch....

9. ChasingBobby

Looks like the one I purchase last season from RL (2012 Fall)...great shirt jacket!

[​IMG]

10. shadykay sf

I mean, I would but I can't just skip out on work, even on my lunch.

11. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

It's that time of year when I start receiving jcrew gift cards from distant relatives. Yay.

Haven't checked their site in a while but evidently the Wallace and Barnes line has unsanforized denim now. Anybody seen it?

12. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Senior member

I have not tried the WB Unsanforized, but have recently gotten a pair of the 484 Selvedge in Raw and can report that these are totally legit and match any of the denim that I have previously tried at similar price points, including APC; wings + horns; United, etc. You should wait for a sale if you're going to spring for the WB, however, because it's getting into high end territory at that price. (Additionally, need a degree in mathematics to figure out the sizing, re: size up two to allow for shrinking, then additional stretching later. Wut??)

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

How do the 484 raws stretch? The ability to buy a pair with a 30 inch inseam may be too much to pass up.

14. Arnold Grape

Bought the J. Crew Raws in the 30 x 34, and they have stretched to approximately 34" at the waist. (Probably started out at a vanity size of 32") Would def recommend these if you can get them at a sale price. Nice hand feel and details, as well as cut.

15. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Thanks for input. I'm not planning on getting them but I agree their description needs some help or they just fucked up the sizing because of the wash or not wash thing. I.e. should have just made the tagged size whatever it will be after a wash rather than say a 33 should buy a 35 if they're gonna wash it or a 33 if no plan to wash. I can't see someone NEVER washing their denim. It's gonna hit water at some point....

16. althanis

althanis Senior member

17. masshi

masshi Senior member

Damn, so my package arrived and I tried an XS slim oxford on (5'8 125 lbs small dude) and the fit was pretty spot-on and not overly tight as all.

I remember a long time ago, though, trying on a XS slim washed shirt and it being tight, but maybe I was wrong? Or maybe it was due to the poor quality control mentioned earlier (or was that another thread) and it really was too tight?

Anyway, all of my other shirts are an XS regular and now I don't feel like wearing them. Actually feel like re-ordering some of the same exact shirts in a slim now, though that feels obsessive and dumb and a waste of money. :uhoh:

edit: BTW, do J.Crew shirts shrink a lot in the wash? I've never washed any of my J.Crew shirts before (but it's not that gross since I don't wear them often).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  18. onoudidntgf

onoudidntgf Senior member

Damn that's a bummer. Mine should be coming in today and I only sized down by one (Normally a 30, I got a 29.)

19. shadykay sf

Any in-store sales going on thats better than the current 30% off?

20. Arnold Grape

Depending on the fit you prefer, I would suggest returning those for a smaller size, because they definitely stretch quite a bit. (After about a week of wear they seem to loosen up in the waist and probably a touch in the thigh, too-doesn't seem like they will at first.) Hope this helps.