1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Robert

Robert Senior member

Weird. That slim white shirt is a very good shirt. I own one. But it's not like its a hot cakes item.

The thing about the automatic reply, or not getting one, etc.--I understand the frustration. At the same time, what I've learned in my short time as a web content developer is that computers are basically stupid. It's hard to get them to automatically do anything and get it consistently right. So... And of course it would take incredible staff resources to send a personal note about it.

2. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

Nice, glad to hear you like the shirt. I think I'll just stay on the waiting list for it, since apparently some items have been shipping way before the listed back-order dates.

3. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

I have one in sz S. NWOT if anyone interested

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  4. Robert

Robert Senior member

Just grabbed the Barn Jacket at 40 percent off final sale and $25 customer appreciation card. Been hankering after this one a while.

5. shadykay sf

shadykay sf Senior member

40% off in-store?

6. Porchester

Porchester New Member

Yes, definitely a little stretch, as long as you're not talking about their "raw" denim. Am wearing them as I type.

7. Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape Senior member

It's probably moot, but I have to disagree. I ended up buying the aforementioned 484 Slim-Fit Jean in the Selvedge Crinkle Wash and was not as impressed as with the 484 "garment dyed jean" (or whatever they're called). I'm not as into denim as others, but I have owned Wings + Horns; APC; United, etc. I found the J. Crew denim to be cut fairly well, but the finishing was poor and the denim just did not seem on par with the competition, at least for the price. The inseam on the jeans is left unfinished and the details were bad and/ or annoying. (e.g. chambray inlay on the button fly) Additionally, they did not seem to be willing to stretch much beyond a fraction of an inch, the way the 484 Garment Dyed Jeans do. That being said, I was happy enough with the initial fit, which in my size is a lot like the APC Petit Standard with more rise, that I did end up ordering the 484's in the Raw at the sale price, with the hope that they will be superior/ contain a fraction more stretch. Which is, part and parcel, of finding the perfect jean. Did you have a different experience w/ the J Crew Raws, Porchester ?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  8. Porchester

Porchester New Member

I was responding specifically to the question about stretch, and I've found that mine do indeed have a nice stretch both in the waist (compared to the same 484 fit in cords) and in the jean itself when squatting, bending, etc.

In terms of quality, these are actually my first experience with J. Crew denim. Prior to purchasing these, I've been wearing nothing but Nudie and Edwin selvedge for several years, and I agree that the J. Crew jeans are not on par. But I wouldn't really expect them to be, as they are significantly less expensive and from a chain store. I am happy with them so far, taking them for what they are (and perhaps more importantly, so is the missus).

9. Robert

Robert Senior member

10. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

As Robert said, definitely the Harris Tweed. I've tried all three. The brown herringbone is the worst of the (not necessarily bad mind you). Had some fuzz already off it. The navy is nice, but the shoulders went out too far on the side. The Harris Tweed is great, but I'm just not sold on the length. I was told it looked fine by people I trust, but I'm just holding off for now. The rest of the jacket is great though.

11. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

BTW, anyone remember what Black Friday was for them last year?

12. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

i 3rd the Harris Tweed choice.

13. flyry

flyry Member

this. anyone have any inkling what it will be this year? I got my eye on a few shirts, but i don't want to feel dumb for not waiting a week.

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I decided to go with this Harris Tweed suit:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~07182/07182.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/N.../07183.jsp?isSaleItem=false&isFromSearch=true

Unfortunately, I got a size too big in the pants (I am between sizes). Now, my size is out of stock and the pants won't be restocked again. The pants I have now are workable, but will be needed to taken in at the waist, and tapered from knee to ankle. I have three options here

1) Get paints tailored and attempt to make suit work
    2) Return pants and just use jacket as a blazer (the wool is very thick and substantial)
    3) Return both pants and jacket and get the brown herringbone tweed, which has been restocked after being sold out

15. Robert

Robert Senior member

A bit off topic but since I bought the item in question at J. Crew, I thought I'd drop this in here!

For a while now, since losing a little weight, I've been obsessing over whether my Baracuta jacket fits too big. My main concern is the length. I have a 44 and I really should be wearing at least a 42. My fit is like the guys in this video in the red and blue jackets as opposed to the guy in the tan jacket--and as opposed to J. Crew models and other models I see with the jacket. I dunno,maybe the bigger fit is more of an old guy fit, which would be appropriate for me!

Anyway, what do you think?

16. Arnold Grape

It would be cool if you had dance moves like that guy. Those jackets are kind of effing great, and can often be found @ Salvation Army stores for approximately $1.99

17. masshi

masshi Senior member

18. Arnold Grape

My advice on this is that the non-oxford washed shirts tend to fit a bit larger than the oxford shirts. However, whether because of quality control or the specific fabric used, all of these shirts may fit slightly different, even in the same size. (e.g. I recently tried on three of the same blue oxford shirt in slim fit in medium, and each shirt seemed to fit a bit differently.) Therefore, if you have access to a J. Crew store I would highly recommend going in to try these on. Also, if you're looking for slim fitting oxford and have a bit more money, I would highly recommend United shirts, which have a superior cut and construction. That being said, at a sale price of $60 or less, the J. Crew shirts are a deal.

19. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

How would you say United Stock's cut compares to J.Crew's slim fit? Been curious about them for a while.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013