1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

J Crew Spring/Summer 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by raptorrapture, Jan 22, 2011.

1. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Went in and tried on jackets. The trapper jacket has a weird fit. It is very blouse-like. The fatigue jacket was a pretty good fit, but it was heavier than I was looking for. I got the cadet jacket on sale for $80 in Hawthorne Green. The fit is perfect for the cadet jacket

ya i like the fit of cadet jacket the most. it's just perfect in length, width, and almost everything else for me.

i'll go check my local retail see if it's on sale. i wanna cop the faded black real bad.

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

ya i like the fit of cadet jacket the most. it's just perfect in length, width, and almost everything else for me. i'll go check my local retail see if it's on sale. i wanna cop the faded black real bad.
    Last time I was in a store, the black one was still $128. (what I paid). That was just last week. The great thing about the black one is that it's not as 'army surplus' looking but still has a military inspired look. I think it goes well with more outfits because of that. [​IMG]

3. dave333

dave333 Senior member

20 dollar 484 cords? nicee

4. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Exactly what I was thinking abt getting the black but not the dark green.

5. madmadigan

madmadigan Senior member

Was just in local store today. They had the Cadet jackets on sale, all were $79.99. They had the green/olive, the black, and then what looked like a light grey.

6. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

Where does one get these one time 20% off coupons? I have dropped ridiculous amounts of $$ there and have yet to receive one. Are they stashed in the catalogs?

I phoned J. Crew, as I am also a pretty big spender there, and didn't remember getting a 20% off coupon. The coupon was released in February inside of the catalog. They do not have any promotions like that at the moment, but typically, if one is vigilant, 20%-30% off coupons and promo codes are released a few times a year, the most significant one, 30% with free shipping, occurring in late November / early December.

7. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

Guys complaining about the Alden shoes. Why would you buy them from J.Crew? It's not like they're on discount or some exclusive design. If and when I do buy the Indys, I'm getting them from Theshoemart. Spread my business around.

I also like TheShoeMart, especially since one receives free shipping and does not have to pay tax if one is out of state. So, for some states like New York, it actually is comparable to buy from TheShoeMart. However, it is nice to have J. Crew's easy return policy if one needs to figure out their Alden size (personally, I wear a full size down from my Allen Edmonds size).

Now, I bought into the Indy boot hype at first a few years back, and feel that I need to say a few things to prevent some people from regretting dropping $350-$470 on a pair of boots that they will wear 2-3 times, and then never again. First of all, if you are slim like me, and typically wear slimmer pants, DO NOT buy Indys. They are a substantial boot, and you will look like you are wearing clown shoes. This is particularly true if you wear a larger size shoe.

Next, although the Horween Chromexcel leather is very soft and comfortable, the footbed is hard and not conducive to considerable walking. Many folks talk about their Indys as if they go and shoot hoops in them on the weekend. I will tell you that the footbed is about as comfortable as any standard Alden or Allen Edmonds dress shoe, and as such, your feet and joints may hurt if you try to do one's typical weekend routine if one lives in a city.

Again, I am not trying to criticize those that already own a pair of Indys. I am sure that those people all wear standard cut APCs with a nice cuff, which has been scientifically proven to be a good look. But, again, if one wears slimmer pants, I would look elsewhere.

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I also like TheShoeMart, especially since one receives free shipping and does not have to pay tax if one is out of state. So, for some states like New York, it actually is comparable to buy from TheShoeMart. However, it is nice to have J. Crew's easy return policy if one needs to figure out their Alden size (personally, I wear a full size down from my Allen Edmonds size). Now, I bought into the Indy boot hype at first a few years back, and feel that I need to say a few things to prevent some people from regretting dropping $350-$470 on a pair of boots that they will wear 2-3 times, and then never again. First of all, if you are slim like me, and typically wear slimmer pants, DO NOT buy Indys. They are a substantial boot, and you will look like you are wearing clown shoes. This is particularly true if you wear a larger size shoe. Next, although the Horween Chromexcel leather is very soft and comfortable, the footbed is hard and not conducive to considerable walking. Many folks talk about their Indys as if they go and shoot hoops in them on the weekend. I will tell you that the footbed is about as comfortable as any standard Alden or Allen Edmonds dress shoe, and as such, your feet and joints may hurt if you try to do one's typical weekend routine if one lives in a city. Again, I am not trying to criticize those that already own a pair of Indys. I am sure that those people all wear standard cut APCs with a nice cuff, which has been scientifically proven to be a good look. But, again, if one wears slimmer pants, I would look elsewhere.
    The boots that really can look more like clown boots are the Wolverine 1000 Mile Addisons: [​IMG] I don't think the Indy boots are bad at all in that respect.

9. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

I have plantar fascitis from lack of arches. I'll be honest in saying my Indy boots are far and away the most comfortable shoe for my condition. My better relief than my new balances sadly.

10. DrFaustus

DrFaustus Senior member

I find my Indy boots to be the most comfortable shoe I own. I have walked miles in them with little issue.

11. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Just applied for a job there, hoping I get it. An employee discount would be very nice to have [​IMG]

do u know how much is the employee discount? i heard version of 40% off retail for the first 10 things u buy every months then 30% after that and 50% off sale. if that's ture then that's crazy.

12. Cheese1

Cheese1 Senior member

do u know how much is the employee discount? i heard version of 40% off retail for the first 10 things u buy every months then 30% after that and 50% off sale. if that's ture then that's crazy.

No clue, I'd like to work there regardless but I've heard it's somewhere around 30%.

13. dsoren

dsoren Senior member

Wouldn't surprise me. They want their employees to represent the brand through the clothes/styling.

14. Tristan.sf

Tristan.sf Senior member

How is the distribution for coupons determined? I have only purchases form J. Crew, but I only received a 20% coupon once, and it was only off of $150 or more.
    I phoned J. Crew, as I am also a pretty big spender there, and didn't remember getting a 20% off coupon. The coupon was released in February inside of the catalog. They do not have any promotions like that at the moment, but typically, if one is vigilant, 20%-30% off coupons and promo codes are released a few times a year, the most significant one, 30% with free shipping, occurring in late November / early December.

15. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Senior member

How is the distribution for coupons determined? I have only purchases form J. Crew, but I only received a 20% coupon once, and it was only off of $150 or more.

From what I have heard, the coupons do not always go to the big spenders. It sounded like the were favoring the lesser spenders to see if they would spend more I guess.