1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J Crew Spring/Summer 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by raptorrapture, Jan 22, 2011.

1. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Senior member

banana republic makes better outerwear than j crew

I dunno, I find a lot of BR's outwear (along with the other stuff they sell) is just uninspired. I love all the details on the J. Crew outerwear.

And fit wise, I have no complaints.

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

[​IMG] Complete disaster. Not one good fit.

3. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

This.

I hate almost everything that BR makes, but their outerwear is pretty good. I have a camel colored moleskin coat from last fall that has held up very well. Sized down one it fits pretty slim and the construction is pretty good all around- buttons are attached very well, material is pretty good, etc. Also, its BR - they have 40% off of everything seemingly at least once a month so their outerwear can be gotten pretty cheaply.

All the jcrew outerwear I've tried on has fit really awkwardly.

I tried on a brown BR leather jacket last year and was surprised at its quality and how well it fit. Kopped it a little while later with a 40 percent coupon. It's one of my favorite jackets.

That said BR doesn't come close to offering the likes of British Millerain, a well-fitted peacoat or something with the attention to deatail like the Woodland Jacket - not to mention the collabs.

4. imposter2012

imposter2012 Well-Known Member

5. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

what is the quality like on jcrew footwear? The suede bucks are exactly what I'm looking for.

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

nothing special. an ok deal on sale/with a coupon.

7. sazon

sazon Senior member

what is the quality like on jcrew footwear? The suede bucks are exactly what I'm looking for.

I've found the quality to be mediocre at best. I've returned many pairs due to defects after minimal wear. Good thing is that J Crew has always taken them back no questions asked.

But I think you could do better for the price.

8. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

I've found the quality to be mediocre at best. I've returned many pairs due to defects after minimal wear. Good thing is that J Crew has always taken them back no questions asked.

But I think you could do better for the price.

recommendations?

9. Biff

Biff Senior member

...was thinking of copping this, but may be a little too creamsicle:

[​IMG]

...thoughts, please?

10. Guus

Guus Senior member

...was thinking of copping this, but may be a little too creamsicle: [​IMG] ...thoughts, please?
    I don't like the faded, old style Jah have on some of their cloths. It is nice but notice how it fades from the bottom up.

11. imposter2012

imposter2012 Well-Known Member

...was thinking of copping this, but may be a little too creamsicle:

[​IMG]

...thoughts, please?

I like it, but keep in mind that they're running a bit short this year for some reason. I tried on a small in a different color in my local B&M store and it was wayyyyy too short. I didn't try on a medium because they didn't have any in stock at that point. What worries me with the medium is that it might be too wide, but just right in length.

12. raptorrapture

Any thoughts on the reappearing Fireman's jacket? This was a seemingly coveted item last year in black (it sold out quickly), and now it's in navy.

How is the quality? Fit?

13. Biff

Biff Senior member

I like it, but keep in mind that they're running a bit short this year for some reason. I tried on a small in a different color in my local B&M store and it was wayyyyy too short. I didn't try on a medium because they didn't have any in stock at that point. What worries me with the medium is that it might be too wide, but just right in length.

My indigo sweatshirt is an M... It is indeed a tad wide, but not to where it bothers me... Pretty comfy, actually...

I don't like the faded, old style Jah have on some of their cloths. It is nice but notice how it fades from the bottom up.

Ya... I see... Reason I ask is that I have the same sweatshirt, but the indigo version... Fading on it is similar and, TBH, I like it...

14. Guus

Guus Senior member

Maybe it's because of people complaining about XS being too large. [​IMG]

15. dsoren

dsoren Senior member

Some good looking stuff dropped online today. Fireman jacket looks dope. Price seems a bit high for what it is though. I think this is going to be my go-to spring parka: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...7485/37485.jsp Edit: anyone know anything about the Fjallraven jackets? Too thick to wear for rain in the Spring?

16. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

I saw the fireman jacket in person today and it's a nice spring jacket but it's definitely not worth the retail price. I would only kop it on a discount because it's extremely thin.

17. raptorrapture

I saw the fireman jacket in person today and it's a nice spring jacket but it's definitely not worth the retail price. I would only kop it on a discount because it's extremely thin.

I don't think it'll go on discount. Or if it does, it'll go extremely quickly. Happened last year.

18. Local_Disk

Local_Disk Senior member

Even with the 20% off coupon its still 200 bucks + tax. Hopefully it will stay up until sale time, but I doubt it.

19. raptorrapture

I noticed that they're offering a lot more shirts in the slim fit, including some of the Secret Wash shirts. This is awesome, and I hope they expand their selection to everything in the store eventually. It's part of the reason I prefer J. Crew over BR or other mall retail stores. The slimmer cut works for guys like me, and J. Crew is one of the few places that offer it. I don't understand why they're priced higher than normal items though. Aren't slim cuts saving them material?

20. Tristan.sf

Tristan.sf Senior member

I like the outfits in one and two for the white denim and the fireman jacket. Oh, and the bucks as well; I really want some for spring & summer!