J Crew Spring/Summer 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by raptorrapture, Jan 22, 2011.

1. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

I actually (coincidentally) had the same issue with mine and I took them to a cobbler to get fixed. I'm going to see if the monk straps look good in person, otherwise I'll return them. I'm really losing faith in their shoe quality. I have quite a few pairs from them too.

I may just go for the aldens this month and not buy anything for the next month or so.

Just browsing here and wanted to comment on the design flaw (?) in the J. Crew made in Italy brogues and oxfords. I was going to spring for a pair of Aldens a few months back but decided to just get the J.Crew brogues in lieu. Horrible, horrible decision. As folks have pointed out, after about 10 or so wears (for me), the friction of the leather soles againsts the concrete severed the stitching and the sole is completely detached from the shoe in front. To add insult to injury, they dropped the price of the shoe about fifty bucks right after I got them. I thought J.Crew would enlist the services of possibly a shoe manfufacturer (who the hell makes these things, anyway?) who had the design foresight to see the potential of a major issue early in the shoes life, but apparently not. The shoes are unwearable at this point.

What is the re-course as a consumer? My g/f who thinks she is a frickin' JC expert says I don't have any recourse. However some people say they brought this to the attention of J.Crew and they were able to do something about it? The problem is, I would of course take another pair -- but I don't want them. They'll just have the same issue. But just a tough pill to swallow to spend nearly $300 on a pair of piece of shit (sorry, but they are) shoes that literally fell apart after 10 or so wears.

oh, and it should go w/o saying -- but don't buy these if you value your money. If you really feel the need, just take the money and flush it down the toilet. Same end result.

2. Cheese1

Cheese1 Senior member

Try raising a stink, maybe you can exchange them for store credit. It sucks, but if you're loud enough with your complaints companies will listen.

3. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Try raising a stink, maybe you can exchange them for store credit. It sucks, but if you're loud enough with your complaints companies will listen.

This is a good idea. Fortunately I live near a semi/kind of flagship store. What I seriously intend to do is bring them in, in their dust bags (lost box), and bring them out to talk to a SA in front of the shoes display. I will clearly show the severed stitching and detachment of the shoe from the sole. If a manager cannot do anything, I'll just set my brand new (unwearable) brogues on prominent display and leave..............................kidding, kind of. But I will bring them in the store and show SA's and any manager I can get a hold of.

Also anyone know of the best JC email addy to send C-Sat related issues/inquries to? Any special one thats not clearly listed on the site?

Thanks!

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

5. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I went to the J Crew Men's Shop on Madison this weekend... I ended up with this shirt in guava; it will get a lot of wear in spring and summer

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/Ne...6558/36558.jsp

I also bought a pair of Crocket and Jones boots. The New York stores are stocking a few models of C&J shoes and boots, with more to come. The boot I got was the same model as this

http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/mensboots-conist.html

The pebble grain leather looks better in person, and the danite sole should make it a great rain boot all year round.

I am looking into a few more pieces. The Quoddy suede blutchers look comfortable for spring and summer. I need to also get one of these St James long sleeve t-shirts and maybe a sweater. I'm liking the collection this spring.

7. Guus

Guus Senior member

Tried on the Winslow jacket. It was a small and the Jacket was roomy, but I expected that. IMO, its how it should look. Lower side pockets felt tight and awkward(i.e didn't feel like a causal thing to do because of how far from the front hips it is). Big reason why I didn't buy was because the zipper sucks. Not only is it cheap,I had trouble pulling it up. The insert/slot is too long. I'll wait for it to hit the deep discount before I cop.

8. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Senior member

I found the Quoddy blutchers to not be comfortable at all. Do they take some heavy break in time?

9. imposter2012

imposter2012 Well-Known Member

Just browsing here and wanted to comment on the design flaw (?) in the J. Crew made in Italy brogues and oxfords. I was going to spring for a pair of Aldens a few months back but decided to just get the J.Crew brogues in lieu. Horrible, horrible decision. As folks have pointed out, after about 10 or so wears (for me), the friction of the leather soles againsts the concrete severed the stitching and the sole is completely detached from the shoe in front. To add insult to injury, they dropped the price of the shoe about fifty bucks right after I got them. I thought J.Crew would enlist the services of possibly a shoe manfufacturer (who the hell makes these things, anyway?) who had the design foresight to see the potential of a major issue early in the shoes life, but apparently not. The shoes are unwearable at this point.

What is the re-course as a consumer? My g/f who thinks she is a frickin' JC expert says I don't have any recourse. However some people say they brought this to the attention of J.Crew and they were able to do something about it? The problem is, I would of course take another pair -- but I don't want them. They'll just have the same issue. But just a tough pill to swallow to spend nearly $300 on a pair of piece of shit (sorry, but they are) shoes that literally fell apart after 10 or so wears.

oh, and it should go w/o saying -- but don't buy these if you value your money. If you really feel the need, just take the money and flush it down the toilet. Same end result.

I would've done the same thing but I decided against it and just got them fixed. They're alright. I just won't be buying J.Crew shoes that often anymore.

But in regards to your post, I would definitely go into the store and explain to them politely, yet firmly. They'll listen and they'll try to make it right. If the manager doesn't do anything just contact the customer service line and tell them. One of those two routes will provide favorable results. J.Crew, in my opinion, may not be all quality, but they're definitely good at providing customer service.

I ordered the monk shoes... I'm hesitant now. I think I'll return them. I get them today!

10. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

I went to the J Crew Men's Shop on Madison this weekend... I ended up with this shirt in guava; it will get a lot of wear in spring and summer

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/Ne...6558/36558.jsp

I also bought a pair of Crocket and Jones boots. The New York stores are stocking a few models of C&J shoes and boots, with more to come. The boot I got was the same model as this

http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/mensboots-conist.html

The pebble grain leather looks better in person, and the danite sole should make it a great rain boot all year round.

I am looking into a few more pieces. The Quoddy suede blutchers look comfortable for spring and summer. I need to also get one of these St James long sleeve t-shirts and maybe a sweater. I'm liking the collection this spring.

I saw those C&J boots when I visited the Soho J Crew store last month and they are gorgeous in person. Did you size tts?

11. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

I found the Quoddy blutchers to not be comfortable at all. Do they take some heavy break in time?

I've sadly found this to be true as well.

12. dsoren

dsoren Senior member

Damn. They were going to be my next kop...

13. flytothesky

flytothesky Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a 20% coupon they will not be using? I would love to have one.

14. slide13

slide13 Senior member

What do you find uncomfortable? I just got a pair and they were extremely comfortable from first wear. Mine are the classic brown from JC.

15. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

If you have no arches, you will have major plantar fascitis