J.Crew Spring 2012

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dogatemyhw, Sep 14, 2011.

1. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Senior member

^Winner.

2. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

so basically all of your arguments boil down to [1] Other companies might do it, so it is at least in part, justified [2] Bad-faith marketing is OK the bigger a company gets

i would say more, but since you didn't really address the substantive basis of my argument which is that j crew uses bad-faith tactics, it probably would be lost on you and therefore not worth my time. sorry, i don't consider "But other people do it, too!" to be a defense worthy of rebuttal

or was there something more substantial i missed in your sycophantic defense to j crew and condescending, baby-like "supply and demand" blabberings that were inexplicably poised toward my argument re: j crew's bad-faith business practices? despite studying advanced economics in undergrad, i'm always willing to learn from someone on the internet graced w/ an ostensibly brilliant mind

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

3. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

He has a point about the mall brand thing though.

Compared to Abercrombie, American Eagle, and Express, J Crew is tops.

4. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

He has a point about the mall brand thing though.

Compared to Abercrombie, American Eagle, and Express, J Crew is tops.

5. derrida26

derrida26 Senior member

I think he has a point though, in that you're taking j. crew's "problems" a little too seriously. If it was some designer label, then sure, you may have a few points, but honestly, it's fucking j. crew, a fucking mall brand. Who the fuck cares if they tailor the clothes to their mannequins.

6. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

i don't see how finding brands that are inferior to j crew negates or lessens j crew's bad business practices or voids them for discussion

my claim wasn't "there are no mall brands inferior to j crew", so i don't see why you all keep raising that as a point of contention

if j crew knowingly clips the sleeves and backs of their clothing to make them look deceptively slim in stock photos, then i think that's worthy of discussion. it's information that's worthy of being proliferated into the public domain b/c it informs us (ie, those of us who shop at j crew) about what they do, and the fact that they are willing to purposely deceive consumers about the material aspects of the garments seems to be important.

it's a problem, because when you buy something from a website, there is a good-faith understanding that the stock photo can be taken to fairly represent what the product looks like, since there's no means to physically inspect the product in-person. therefore, when you buy such a product on that assumption, and receive something else in the mail, it is not b/c of your shortcomings as a buyer, but rather b/c of j crew's intent to fool you.

frankly, i think that's a problem, and i think it's neither voided by the # of j crew garments you have in your closet nor how many other brands do it. if you don't think that's a problem worthy of consideration, then perhaps this entire thread should be retitled "J Crew Appreciation and Passive Consumption", and i certainly won't come back b/c i'm not interesting in being surrounded by people who passively consume w/out critically reflecting

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

7. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

Whoa! You went to college?! Neat! :D

8. derrida26

derrida26 Senior member

I mean, I agree, it is a problem, but who the fuck cares. If you're worried about fit, there are plenty of local stores (unlike a lot of designer brands) nearby where you can try things on, and their website also provides measurements.

The point is that j. crew is a mall brand. If you want nice clothes, shop somewhere else. It's like going to a gourmet cooking forum and complaining that the display windows at Wendy's "deceive" the customer. Who the fuck cares.

9. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Johdus: Hey, there's the new secret-wash-slub-wallace-barnes-sun-faded-indian-cotton shirt on that J.Crew mannequin. It looks great!

[After trying it on]

Johdus: Nuts. This secret-wash-slub-wallace-barnes-sun-faded-indian-cotton shirt is vanity sized. They must've pinned the shirt on that mannequin! Oh well. Time to forget about this mild disappointment and enjoy my well-rounded life.

10. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

I see people taking the role of contrarian now that J.Crew is greatly unpopular on SF. How expected.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

11. Mr. Bananagrabber

Mr. Bananagrabber Senior member

Can someone recommend me a shoe similar to the Alden Pebble Grain shortwings?

[​IMG]

I liked the Alden x JCrew shortwings since they seemed more casual than the straight Alden shortwings that did not have the pebble grain and lighter colored rubber sole. I really like that color and texture.

12. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

I'm a little irritated with J. Crew and their sale items. I remember when their sale items were not final sale, it seems as if lately their sale items are only final sale, how ridiculous is this?!

13. DannyJman

DannyJman Well-Known Member

Pretty much Swagged up - I'm liking the winter jacket they got there.

Good Line, Awaiting.

14. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

It's totally ridiculous. It's just another example of J. Crew's adversarial relationship with their customers. The whole idea of "final sale" is bulls**t.

15. tanxp

tanxp Well-Known Member

Where's this sucker at? I've been looking for a layer I can wear this spring that isn't my arcteryx jacket. This also looks like linen, which is great in the muggy south.

[​IMG]