• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flytothesky

Reaction score
Hey guys i have been trying to search for an answer but i really haven't come with one. I was wondering how jcrew sweaters, jeans, and tees fit?

I remember buying a cashmere J. Crew sweater 2-3 years ago in Small and it was really tight on me. I have been reading some older threads and it seems that J. Crew fits 1 size bigger so i am a bit confused. Does Anyone have actual measurements of a J. Crew sweater armpit to armpit and length, same with their basic tees.

Also i heard their jeans fit big too? Please can someone help me with the sizing. THank you

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sweaters fit like this on me:
spongebob1.jpg
I hear sizing down works, but I can't 'cause I'm a small. I've largely given up on J-Crew.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call them up and give the item number, they'll give you basic measurements.

Compare those measurements with good fitting sweaters you currently own.

Choose to buy accordingly.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In my experience, J. Crew is very true to standard sizing. I'm just over 6 feet and 185 pounds, and consider myself a true "large" by most common measurements: between a 42 and 44 regular in suit jackets, 16.5 in shirt sizes, etc. Their large is perfect on me.

My recommendation is not to size down or up with J. Crew, generally.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
they are slim/regular fit when sized normally, but since sf likes super slim clothes, they say that you should size down one, but it might be bad because it might end up too tight or short.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
The sweaters fit like this on me:

spongebob1.jpg

I hear sizing down works, but I can't 'cause I'm a small. I've largely given up on J-Crew.

They fit you like the cartoon character on an animated television show for small children???

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
they are slim/regular fit when sized normally, but since sf likes super slim clothes, they say that you should size down one, but it might be bad because it might end up too tight or short.

Exactly. I learned this after a little experimenting and several returns. J. Crew tends a bit toward a "classic" look, which means not overly slim. At the same time, I personally think the stuff fits well and isn't the "generous" cut you'll get with the likes of Eddie Bauer and department stores. My experience sizing down with J. Crew is that you get the slimmer fit at the expense of other key things like drape and comfort.

There's a certain look to J. Crew stuff, and it generally looks best in your true size.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the pain to state the obvious, he'd likely implying that the sweaters fit boxy... Hence, the characters shape. There now a decent joke ruined.
tounge.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't see spongebob as a box, merely as a sponge. Obviously, he didn't mean to suggest the sweaters fit spongey.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree about J Crew being true to size. I am consistently a medium in almost all other clothes that I wear, but if I were to try on a medium J Crew shirt or sweater, I would be swimming in it. For the longest time, I didn't think I could wear J Crew until I recently started buying smalls, which fit me perfectly. I'm 6'2", 165lbs, and I haven't bought small clothes in about 20 years until recently at J Crew.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
I have to disagree about J Crew being true to size. I am consistently a medium in almost all other clothes that I wear, but if I were to try on a medium J Crew shirt or sweater, I would be swimming in it. For the longest time, I didn't think I could wear J Crew until I recently started buying smalls, which fit me perfectly. I'm 6'2", 165lbs, and I haven't bought small clothes in about 20 years until recently at J Crew.

It floors me that you're an inch taller than me and you swim in a J. Crew medium! It must be the 20 pounds I've got on you that makes the large fit me. Still, that's TWO sizes!! I guess it must depend a lot on build (I'm sort of broad in the shoulders but slim-waisted--not overweight) and also on the kind of fit you want.

If I size down to a medium, I begin to feel weird things going on in how the sweater or shirt drapes, especially in back. If I go down to a small, I feel like I put on a little kid's sweater--the sleeves pull up my wrist when I reach for things, the shoulders feel binded, the buttons tug in front, the elbows do weird bunchy things.

How about a pic in a J. Crew sweater? It's not that I don't trust your word, but I almost feel I have to see this to believe it.

flytothesky

Reaction score
wow this thread is getting more confusing......... can anyone do a quick measurement for me for a small and medium?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take 3 minutes and call them about whatever your interested in getting measured. You'll get more accurate and much quicker service than you would taking the time to keep checking back on this thread.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They're excellent about quoting measurements. A couple of important things I learned about sweater measurements: 1 inch, even 1/2 inch, makes a big difference in how the sweater "feels" on you. That extra 1/2 inch in the shoulders or the neck circumfrance can spell all the difference between a comfortable fit and one that's too tight.

ClassicGarnish

Reaction score
i just got a j.crew sweater that fits me very well. i'm a 36" chest and got an xs. it fit me slim without being too short in the sleeves or body. probably gonna pick up more down the line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics