• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew shoes

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just popped in to J. Crew hoping to find a hooded double-zippered knit sweater/sweatshirt (I don't know why, but I hate the term 'hoodie&#39
wink.gif
, and I decided to go over and scoff at their shoes. I found myself actually admiring their apparent quality for the price. They have a sale going, and they had some decent, non-fashionable styles in what appeared (with some exceptions) to be reasonably good leather, for relatively good prices. I tried on a pair of tan (not sand, like Clarks, but close) desert boots that appear to be exactly like Clarks except for having flat soles instead of a heel. I have been meaning to get some Clarks for a long time, and these were $70 down from $160 or something, so I figured I'd try them out for a while. They are quite comfortable, and look good too. If these work out, I might go back to check on the other styles, like a nice dress boot for $50, and the brown desert boots. Anyone have any experience with J. Crew shoes? Am I going to get struck by lightning for wearing poser Clarks?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I have a pair of J Crew brown monkstraps from ebay that were "Made in England", I'm not sure by whom. I'll try to post a picture of them and maybe some of our shoe mavens can tell. Anyway, I really like them, and while I still want to get a pair of Peals or maybe even Edward Green monks one of these days, these have served me well so far.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Okay, here they are in a hurriedly taken picture. They are darker than they appear (flash lightened them considerably), and obviously I need to polish them. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with them for what they are. They appear to be Goodyear welted (leather soles, too).

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the leather midtown boots on sale. I got both the black and brown for a total of $115.00. I don't pretend to be a shoe expert, but for what I paid for them I am very happy so far. I figure they will work well for rainy and snowy days and they will tide me over until I can get some good quality pairs of shoes. Here is a link to the ones I got J.Crew Leather Midtown boots

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
These are the ones I got, though mine are a sand color. I was looking at those calfskin ones too. I'll have to go back and check them out again.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a couple pairs of their shoes (suede driving loafers and black calfskin, rubber soled casual loafers). They held up really well, and received some pretty harsh treatment. I don't know if I'd buy another pair, but for shoes like these, for lazy casual wear, perhaps I'd reconsider. Though not this actual pair, as the suede doesn't look so good. All in all, I think you'll be happy with the purchase.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I looked at those driving mocs in brown calf, they look nice, but not my style, and I already have a similar pair from Bally that I don't wear much. Compared to the crap at BR, I am pretty impressed with J Crew's selection overall.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The factory they source from is called D Lepori, and they make a good shoe - particularly for the sale price. The desert boots are good - don't have a lot of guts, but good just the same. This factory used to supply much of the Cole Haan products, until Cole Haan decided to go to India and Mexico for their shoes. D. Lepori's real claim to fame was producing the CH snaffle bit shoes for a good while. http://www.lepori.com/catalog...._for=52 looks like they don't keep the site updated, but thats the shoe Kudos to J. Crew for buying from good sources (and pricing them reasonably) and not giving in to the cheap, private label, plastic and cardboard shoe pitch like Cole Haan and J & M did.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Personally, I've had mixed results with J. Crew shoes.  For a while in the mid-90s, I was quite fond of them, particularly a pair of brown split toe bluchers.  They held up nicely despite abuse.

Then, at the beginning of this century, my luck ran out.  The sizing seemed different, or the shoes looked very different from the catalog or web site.  They all went back.  After a three year hiatus, I decided to try again, as they were producing some very fine looking shoes.  This past Fall, I ordered a version of the desert boot, the model in corduroy.  It arrived, and I was disappointed with the overall shape of the shoe, and the fit was poor (I usually wear a 12, but my feet were sliding around).  

I will probably try J. Crew shoes again, as they really seem to have stepped up their game in the last year or so.  But I shall never order them from the catalog or internet.  Must try on and see....

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Rider, any thoughts on the made in England monk straps above? I know your connections are more Italian than English.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rider, any thoughts on the made in England monk straps above? I know your connections are more Italian than English.

Do the shoes say 'Made in England' on them? I thought they bought alot of these types of shoes from an Italian manufacturer call Lady Kent, but could be wrong there. If the are UK origin, it's a pretty safe bet that they are Loake; but others more familiar with UK shoes might be able to tell you more than I.

More importantly, thats a great looking Rosewood table you have there. Nice finish, not sprayed - must be older?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Yes, they clearly state "Made in England". I'm not sure how old they are. I'll take the Loake designation and run with it, though.

Thanks on the table. My wife and I bought it a few years ago from the classifieds. I'd date it and the matching china cabinet from the 40s/50s, but I'm no expert on that. The cabinet is in great shape, the table a little rickety. We need to take it to someone and have it worked on one of these days.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I just wanted to bump this to see if anyone had any more experiences to share. I just got the new catalogue and there is a pair of brown suede brogues that look very nice. But I have no idea about the quality. Here they are.

The reviews in this thread seem mixed so if anyone has any more opinion to add, I'd love to hear it.

cheers,
bob

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Sorry, I just wanted to bump this to see if anyone had any more experiences to share. I just got the new catalogue and there is a pair of brown suede brogues that look very nice. But I have no idea about the quality. Here they are.

The reviews in this thread seem mixed so if anyone has any more opinion to add, I'd love to hear it.

cheers,
bob

Look similar to the boots I got. Both made in Italy... I would not pay 180 for my boots but they were certainly worth it at $35.00.I assume these are not welted, like my suede boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics