1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

J. Crew Selvage straight-leg jeans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by WatchGuy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. WatchGuy

WatchGuy Senior Member

J. Crew revently came out with some Selvage jeans. Can anyone comment on the quality of these jeans?

J. Crew Link

[​IMG]

2. DNW

DNW Stylish Dinosaur

They've been out for more than a year. The quality is okay, in line with other J Crew jeans, except the denim is selvage.

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I think the real question is why spend $135 on J Crew jeans?

4. DNW

DNW Stylish Dinosaur

I think the real question is why spend $135 on J Crew jeans?

I've seen them on sale for 50% off or more. At about 50 bucks, they're fairly reasonable if you like the fit.

5. WatchGuy

WatchGuy Senior Member

Thanks for the input, guys.

6. z50

z50 Member

So are you supposed to roll those up or get them hemmed or what?

7. deputamadre

deputamadre Senior Member

it depends on how they fit/how you want them to look roll them up if you want to show off your sweet j. crew selvage.

8. 1969

1969 Distinguished Member

For reasons that will remain untold I walked through a J Crew today and their F/W stuff is very "Americana". They had some brass donut buttons on a couple of things and a pair of work pants that I will buy later if I catch them for 50% off.

9. robin

robin Stylish Dinosaur

J.Crew's jeans are an average on the quality scale. My experiences are with their older non-selvage denim though, so these might be better.

For reasons that will remain untold I walked through a J Crew today and their F/W stuff is very "Americana". They had some brass donut buttons on a couple of things and a pair of work pants that I will buy later if I catch them for 50% off.
    Yeah, I was in the local one today and was very impressed with the selection this year so far. I picked up a cotton waistcoat with a patch pocket that looks like one that EG did last year, and I'll go back closer to fall to get some other things. J.Crew seems to be "getting it" lately and it looks like they're taking cues from smaller designers.

10. soonami

soonami Well-Known Member

J Crew employs many young designers that seem to understand the concept of casual wear. Some of their designers go on to develop their own lines, Tim Hamilton immediately comes to mind.

11. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

To me these jeans appear to be almost identical in fit to the Gap selvage jeans. If you are looking for a cheaper pair of selvage jeans, i'd go with gap unless you have a J crew gift card or something. The gap jeans are 15$ (maybe even less now) as opposed to 70, and are unwashed also.

Those J Crew aren't terrible but for the money I think you could do much better.

12. WatchGuy

WatchGuy Senior Member

Talk about revival from the dead, wow. I started this thread over a year ago. [​IMG]

13. robin

robin Stylish Dinosaur

Talk about revival from the dead, wow. I started this thread over a year ago. [​IMG]
    Gah, I didn't even notice that. At least you can get those on sale now [​IMG]

14. DGP

DGP Distinguished Member

I think in general J. Crew has the best style/quality of the mall stores. I used to really like Banana, but they've started cutting everything for the all American fatass, so it doesn't fit anymore. I also think their quality took a dive. J. Crew's washed favorite shirts are the best I've found for summer. I do wish the arms were half an inch longer, but can't have everything. . .

15. soonami

soonami Well-Known Member

I got a pair of J Crew selvage last fall when they were $50 with an additional 20% off or something like that. From my experiences the quality of the J Crew denim is much better than those from gap. Idk what weight the J Crew denim is, but I think that it's on par with most of the "normal" sugarcane or samurai denims. The gap denim is much thinner, more like the STF levis. The J Crew jeans also had an actual leather patch, hidden rivets, donut buttons, reinforced back pockets, etc. The Gap jeans does not have any of these.

The benefit of buying the Gap jeans is that they are not predistressed, and will fit slimmer. I don't know how well they fade though, I am wearing a pair right now and they seem to fade to a light blue like STF 501s (not great). Also, because the denim is lighter weight it stretches more. Normally I would wear a 34-35 in most jeans but in the gap jeansI could button a 31, and those stretched to a comfortable, slimmer fit. The J Crew straight legs on the other hand, fit boxy and are meant to be worn anti-fit like repro 501s.