Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by deveandepot1, Dec 30, 2009.

1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I received the Surplus cotton sweater cardigan today. So far I like it. Very warm, thick and seems well made. I bought a small and I guess runs slightly big (I'm 5'8, 135lbs) on me but I was wearing it with an undershirt. Not sure what it would look like with a button down or a thicker tee or polo on. Overall I am happy with the pruchase but I would definitely not pay whole price on it. I would wait for another sale if anyone on here is interested.

BTW, it was grey but as with everything advertised on their website, it is a bit darker than the picture. Depending on the light, it almost looks green; a darker, olive green.

I'd be interested in hearing how it holds up. Can you give an update in a couple weeks? My wool military mock neck is pilling like crazy.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I went to a store today and finally saw the new stuff. The nailhead shirt is really, really cool. Very stiff; you'd have to wear a t-shirt under it until you broke it in. I might get it if it goes on sale later ($98 now). The madras shirts are really nice in person; the colors are great. I am really unimpressed with the cadet jacket - it is really thin and just seems cheap for the price. I also see no reason to buy the Levi's there. The ones I bought at the Levi's store were at least $50 cheaper and just as nice, if not nicer.

And they still have a million of the blue selvedge and grey chambrays from last season. They had stacks of both in at least two different places in the store. Did anyone buy these, or did they just make a ton of them? Why don't they put them on sale? They're nice; I don't know why the haven't sold out yet.

3. Robert

Robert Senior member

Wait a sec? I thought you weren't feeling "winterish" and now you own the most sought after Peacoat? Have you been over come by Jah's charm?

The most sought after?

4. Seeaann

Seeaann Senior member

Not a bad place. Not a huge selection but some good prices. $60 for the Sutherland trench, $90 for a peacoat, $30 Mcallisters (if you're a size 7 to 9), $35 for the mock neck military sweater. I wasn't really feeling any of it, almost went for the peacoat, but wasn't feeling winter-coatish, and almost for the military sweater but it was navy. Wd have it was olive green but otherwise it looked too much like the sweater jacket from 08. Anyway, would rather spend my j, crew cash on another s/s10 madras that comes out or something.

Still, worth checking out from time to time, I think.

Right down the road, though, I picked up some $30 red Converse oxes at Discount Shoes. Not a bad place either. A lot of the mall dad kinds of shoes but also some decent things to. They had taupe suede Clarks DBs for $75. Also saw some OK Bass white bucks with the brick sole for around $70.

& btw, the newer made in china converse seem to run about 1/2 size larger than marked compared to the older made in usa. I tried on the 11s and was like wtf. Sure enough, compared the 10.5s I bought to my old 11s--they're identical in size.

someone want to proxy me a sutherland trench in small if they have it?

5. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Senior member

Quick heads up, they have a few Peacoats in the sale section of their website. I remember last week there was a poster that thought he missed out. Well, you didn't and you could get 20% off that coat.

Incredible how much stuff you think they won't have in stock anymore, only to find it in the sale section.

Oh yeah i remember that grumpy gus. He was bummed b/d he thought he'd never see another J. Crew peacoat on sale.

EDIT: Well, it is still $200. Only $50 off. That's still a bit hefty for this garment. It's a nice coat but in the store it seemed a bit thin for a peacoat.

Still, size small is not available.
    But I had someone pick it up for me in the distro center. I believe it was not from 09 F/W. Alas, it was well constructed and with thinsulate. Good enough.

6. kaizoku

kaizoku Well-Known Member

Got an email that my purchases from the sale shipped...even my surplus sweater that was supposedly wait-listed...sweet!

7. Adam_Lee

Adam_Lee Senior member

The clearance center is a cool place for bargains, I try to make it over at least every couple of weeks. The only cons are that the prices fluctuate sometimes (still good deals though) and they recently nixed selling all the collabs. They had the Red Wing Rugged Classics for $55 at one point last summer but must have caught on with the influx of them on eBay. By the time Xmas rolled around the RC's were $150 and the Iron Rangers were $170; not really that much of a bargain. I was trying to convince the wife I needed some Belstaff stuff when about 2 weeks ago all the collabs were pulled from the store...

8. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

No, don't see that. Coat seems fine. Out of curiosity how were they miscut?

Great find then. The main problem with the coats was the button placement. They didn't match up with the buttonholes.

9. Robert

Robert Senior member

Great find then. The main problem with the coats was the button placement. They didn't match up with the buttonholes.

Ha, yeah, that would be a problem!

10. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

I went to a store today and finally saw the new stuff. The nailhead shirt is really, really cool. Very stiff; you'd have to wear a t-shirt under it until you broke it in. I might get it if it goes on sale later ($98 now). The madras shirts are really nice in person; the colors are great. I am really unimpressed with the cadet jacket - it is really thin and just seems cheap for the price. I also see no reason to buy the Levi's there. The ones I bought at the Levi's store were at least $50 cheaper and just as nice, if not nicer.

And they still have a million of the blue selvedge and grey chambrays from last season. They had stacks of both in at least two different places in the store. Did anyone buy these, or did they just make a ton of them? Why don't they put them on sale? They're nice; I don't know why the haven't sold out yet.

I picked up one of the madras shirts. I want to say it's slighter slimmer, including sleeves, than the regular washed and utility shirts. Love it... had to cop another one from Staver.

The chambray utility shirts - remember when they were impossible to find? I see stacks of them too and also wonder why they've never landed on the sale rack.

11. Guus

Guus Senior member

The most sought after?
    In these threads, it at least is. You don't read too many posters asking to compare it with the Sterlingware, do ya?
    I'd be interested in hearing how it holds up. Can you give an update in a couple weeks? My wool military mock neck is pilling like crazy.
    Will do.

12. wrenhunter

wrenhunter Senior member

Got the merino cardigan during the recent sale, arrived yesterday. I like it. Size medium fits a little baggy on me. But I'm keeping it, because it's a friggin' cardigan and it should fit this way.

This message brought to you by the SF Anorexia Council.

13. kaizoku

kaizoku Well-Known Member

White chambray is now up on the site...wonder if the red will soon follow.

14. asnradeon8

asnradeon8 Active Member

the white chambray been on the site for a few days now..looks just like a plain white shirt.

15. asnradeon8

asnradeon8 Active Member

Just received the sueded fleece crewneck pullover today. There was talk that these run smaller than normal, so was pretty worried it wouldnt fit.

I'm a size small in most items. Ordered a small. Love it.
    [​IMG]