• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
The green madras everyone gaga-ed over fit worse than the secret wash shirts.
Could you elaborate on this? Do they fit looser? Wondering because I'm in between sizes in Secret Wash.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
Could you elaborate on this? Do they fit looser? Wondering because I'm in between sizes in Secret Wash.

If he's referring to the Madras shirts, then my experience is also that they fit a bit roomier than the standard secret wash shirt although that may also be a byproduct of the looser weave and breath-ability of the madras fabric which may also give it that feeling. I guess I would say that the madras fit is more comparable to the chambray work shirts so if you're in between, you're probably going to like the sized down version better if you want a more slim type fit.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear
smile.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Picked up 2 lightwt shirts, a purple gingham and an olive green utility. Like them.

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Picked up 2 lightwt shirts, a purple gingham and an olive green utility. Like them.

Tried the olive utility in the store, the color seems very bright. Don't know if its their bright lights in the fitting room or what, but it almost came across as having a neonish hue to it. How did it look away from the fitting room lights?

dunelly

Reaction score
i agree with the shirt sizes, i think i will return my chambray, looks great but the gut is so big
frown.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynHighpost
Tried the olive utility in the store, the color seems very bright. Don't know if its their bright lights in the fitting room or what, but it almost came across as having a neonish hue to it. How did it look away from the fitting room lights?

Didn't/don't notice that. It's a pretty good shirt.

I tried the nailhead utility and it just seemed too heavy to me, especially w/ spring/summer coming.

I don't notice the sizing issues people are having. A large is consistent in almost every J. Crew shirt I've ever tried, except maybe the linen.

kidtwist91

Reaction score
Will the red chambray be available in tall sizes? Or will i miss out yet again because i am a physical specimen?

I searched the thread but couldnt find an answer to this question...

xanatos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert

I have both of those cept utility in black and love them both. They actually fit better than the secret washs and have a lot slimmer look to them than what crew normally does.

Why can't they make true slim cuts and not boxy shirts. Who cares how fat people are anymore. They don't shop there anyways

dunelly

Reaction score
is it me or is that white chambray just like the old chino work shirt

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the fit on J. Crew shirts is fine. If you really want slim fit shirts, just buy Rugby, which is truly slim. I have shirts from J. Crew, Rugby, RRL, Brooks Brothers Black Fleece, Uniqlo, and Lands' End, all "slim" but differently so, and I like the variety.

dunelly

Reaction score
my chino utility has a very nice shape, so did a secret washed
the chambray/checked/flannel shirts are baggier fitting
an easy way to tell is measure how big the armholes are, 7" is slim, 8" is baggier
anyone has ideas on the lightweight/madras

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
^ Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear
smile.gif

Me too. The reg secret wash shirts are a little tight in the chest for me, but the chambray sized down works perfect (aside from the baggy sleeves).
Originally Posted by dunelly
i agree with the shirt sizes, i think i will return my chambray, looks great but the gut is so big
frown.gif

huh? The one I have is tapered just fine... doesn't have a 'gut' on it.
Originally Posted by xanatos
I have both of those cept utility in black and love them both. They actually fit better than the secret washs and have a lot slimmer look to them than what crew normally does. Why can't they make true slim cuts and not boxy shirts. Who cares how fat people are anymore. They don't shop there anyways
+1 I tried on one of the gingham lightweight shirts the other day and its actually cut pretty well (sized down) nice and tapered in the body as well as slim through the sleeves, and seems to work really well tucked in

Chief Touching You

Reaction score
Originally Posted by synovoid
you guys see these shirts?
images_onFigure_22_22832_22832_WO5839_d2_tif_30790a846b2817a5.jpg

images_onFigure_22_22830_22830_WO6391_d2_tif_38450a987b5017b9.jpg

Those have been in the stores for a while now. I purchased both last week, along with the blue one that recently popped up on the website.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I found the ltwt shirts last summer were pretty slim too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads