J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by deveandepot1, Dec 30, 2009.

1. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I was depressed to learn that J Crew sized small shirts are a little too slim for my shoulders, which aren't particularly broad. Tried on the 484 in my size, and it's comically slim-fitting; probably not something most people could be taken seriously while wearing, unfortunately. Wierdly enough, the outlet shirts fit me much better than the flagship merchandise does! Anybody else have the same experience?

You can't have much muscle with their shirts, which is something I like, since so many companies go overboard with room.

If the 484 is too slim, move to the vintage slim, if that is too slim, keep moving up. That's one of the advantages of denim, you can find something you like.

2. lynchpatrickj

lynchpatrickj Senior member

You can't have much muscle with their shirts, which is something I like, since so many companies go overboard with room.

If the 484 is too slim, move to the vintage slim, if that is too slim, keep moving up. That's one of the advantages of denim, you can find something you like.

What you're saying is certainly true. Y'allsMMV, but I found that sizing up one in the waist of the vintage slim improved the fit greatly for me; if the high (natural?) waist feels strange to you, but you don't want such a full trouser leg as the traditional fit, you might size up and ride them lower, too.

3. lynchpatrickj

lynchpatrickj Senior member

Really? I've always felt the shoulders on the smalls were normal sized- if not a little broader than normal. And the 484s are comically slim fitting compared to what? I'd say they're a little looser through the thighs than levi's 511s. Yeah they're pretty slim compared to other jcrew pants/jeans, but thats not saying a ton.

The 484's in my waist size felt like they were velcro'd to my thighs; that, vs. say, a slim-boot RRL sized appropriately. Should have been more informative, sorry.

And I actually found the traditional fit to be the best fitting out of all of them on me, excepting the high waist.

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

The 484's in my waist size felt like they were velcro'd to my thighs; that, vs. say, a slim-boot RRL sized appropriately. Should have been more informative, sorry.

And I actually found the traditional fit to be the best fitting out of all of them on me, excepting the high waist.

I had this also. Vintage slim fit works great for me, but the 484 are just way too slim in the thighs.

5. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Senior member

I had this also. Vintage slim fit works great for me, but the 484 are just way too slim in the thighs.

+1. 484's are skin tight on my thighs.

6. sazon

sazon Senior member

+1. 484's are skin tight on my thighs.

484 Slim Fit is great if you have kids and are looking to do some family planning.

Much cheaper than a proper vasectomy.

7. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

484 Slim Fit is great if you have kids and are looking to do some family planning.

[​IMG]

8. onlyjjp

onlyjjp Member

How do the waist fit for the 484's and vintage-slim in comparison to levis? Also, does it vary with jeans and chinos?

9. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

I thought about getting that deal, but passed because H&M suits are half as much. Great deal for that suit though.

h&m's proper suiting line "h&m man" (made in turkey i believe) runs around $249 for complete suits, separates when bought together clock in at about 30 dollars less. but you do get a cool looking albeit probably flammable garment bag.

I was depressed to learn that J Crew sized small shirts are a little too slim for my shoulders, which aren't particularly broad. Tried on the 484 in my size, and it's comically slim-fitting; probably not something most people could be taken seriously while wearing, unfortunately. Wierdly enough, the outlet shirts fit me much better than the flagship merchandise does! Anybody else have the same experience?

it's been discussed that the outlet =/= same fit as in store, as they have their own designers and cut the clothes more generously to accomodate the fact that "fatties" tend to shop at the outlets rather than in-store. quality is also very different.

as far as the 484 goes, i love the fit. pretty much average build (5'8, 157 lbs) and skinny legs.

[​IMG]

still have a little bit that i can pinch at the sides when i stand, and the mid rise makes it easier to wear with tucked shirts which something i can't say for other skinny jeans i've owned. i wear these on the rare occasions i'm not wearing my go-to pair of KMW rockers, but i was really impressed with the fact that their jeans are made in canada and feature chainstitched details, even though they're not selvage.

in unrelated news, their portugal catalog features a dude with prominent forearm tattoos. i guess they're trying to push the envelope more, or realize that tatted-up men like NewYorkRanger and myslef are also customers (or at least, in his case, were customers).

10. dragonxking

dragonxking Senior member

ctrlaltelite,
    what size are those?

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

win

12. ctrlaltelite

they're a 32x30, though they did stretch at the waist considerably (there's like 2% elasthane, or some similar stretchy fabric), they shrank back down after a hot wash (not soak).

13. Robert

Robert Senior member

Ha ha. Having experienced both (the 484s and the vasectomy), I can say the 484s are only slightly less painful.

14. ctrlaltelite

i caught my lady poking holes into my jeans. should i be worried?

15. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Ha ha. Having experienced both (the 484s and the vasectomy), I can say the 484s are only slightly less painful.

TMI!!!