• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dareone
finally got my red chambray in today! got a size small and was a little concerned about it being too tight since i wear a size medium in the madras shirts. but i gotta say, after trying it on, the small chambray fits pretty well.

for the ones who do have it, did you notice any shrinking after the wash? if it does, i may have to go for a medium. but by doing that, it may be too big!

I haven't washed my red yet, but last year's blue has shrunk very little. Then again I wash in cold and hang dry only.

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Travel. Just understand--I'm not talking about an outlet store. This is a clearance store that carries a mix of items from retail, catalog, and outlet returns and overstocking. So you do have to be careful to make sure you're getting a retail or catalog item. But the prices are phenomenal.
Is it only in Virginia?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, there are other locations. Mine is about 20 minutes from my door here in North Carolina. They're usually connected to distribution centers.

Guus

Reaction score
Got and wore the Buffalo plaid shirt. Awesome fabric and received a few compliments on it. Wish I had bought it sooner.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jayce030
can anyone offer any advice on the their "urban slim" fit chino's? how do they compare to their classic fit?

I didn't see anyone answer this so I guess I will. The main difference I noticed wasn't the overall fit - it seemed very similar to the classic fit, but in the leg opening. The urban slim is much more tapered, and I would estimate the leg opening is at least an inch smaller than the classics.

Adam_Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Ha ha ha. I got it for $60!

I remember you scoffing at the clearance store a few months back...I don't think you should have an air of superiority about it.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orange Stanton shorts came today. Love them.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
If you look at the captions above the photos you'll notice that he's wearing the S madras but XS chambray. So he was sizing up on the madras. I have both of those same shirts in S and the madras is definitely slimmer. I was actually debating whether to return that blush madras. It's still sitting in the bag with tags on. Hand second thoughts but after seeing the pics, makes me want to try it on again once I get home.
Yeah I couldn't find it in a size XS. However, upon further review I am going to be listing it for sale instead of holding onto it. Looking through the closet again, I just have too many plaid style shirts and just need to cut back. So if anyone wants this madras in size small without having to search for it throughout US stores or J.Crew customer service, hit me up. I'll let it go for $55 shipped and pass the savings on.
Originally Posted by saelan
tonio, are the collar buttons on the chambray the same size as the rest of the shirt, or are they smaller? I've noticed that in all the fit pics I've seen, people are leaving that collar undone. I ordered one that won't be here until April, but I had a mind to maybe get a tailor to put proper buttonholes in it. Hidden-button collars seem silly to me.
I believe this question was answered, but yeah same size. I also think the hidden button on this shirt with short collar is a little quirky and have thought about removing them, but we'll see.

aktao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
I didn't see anyone answer this so I guess I will. The main difference I noticed wasn't the overall fit - it seemed very similar to the classic fit, but in the leg opening. The urban slim is much more tapered, and I would estimate the leg opening is at least an inch smaller than the classics.

I noticed the same thing about the urban slim fit. Not much of a difference in the thigh area, but just slimmer in the leg opening.

wrenhunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Went to try on the nice ludlow suit in charcoal sharkskin and it was sweet. Very nice feel to it. But, kind of hard to stomach a $600 purchase from jcrew. I suppose i can sign up for the jcrew card and get 20%. Any chance the Ludlows go on sale later this spring?
If you don't need it, wait. They will go on sale at some point. A few of us got a great deal on the Ludlow flannel suit in December.

wrenhunter

Reaction score
I visited NYC today and visited both stores in lower Manhattan. The staff at the Men's Store were great, really helpful and friendly. The Ludlow striped cotton suit is nice. The Aldens are killers, both longwing and oxford. I asked to see the new glen plaid SC, but they said the store would not be carrying it, catalog only. Saw both red & blue chambray, both nice but I like the blue.

I only popped into the Liquor Store, didn't wow me. I don't really get why they have two stores in such proximity?

I also stopped by Billy Reid (ouch $$$, but great stuff) and Varvatos (ha ha ha $$$$).

BossTweed

Reaction score
Billy Reid is precisely the store for the J. Crew patron that finally made some dough. Varvatos is for the J. Crew patron that never made dough but watches How to Make it in America.

P.S. Is "made dough" still a relevant term?

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Billy Reid store is awesome, it's like a house inside, smells like apple cider, and the SAs are really cool. Sometimes they have free fried chicken and they serve bourbon(too bad i found that out after visiting).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads