1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by deveandepot1, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    It depends on your body shape as well. I'm 6'1, around 190, toned but not muscle-bound, and I have to go with Large in almost everything from J. Crew. My shoulders are fairly broad. A medium is passable but I feel constrained in it, because of the width at the shoulders/armpit-to-armpit, and it doesn't drape as well as a Large.

For whatever reason, a large in J. Crew is almost always a perfect fit.

I find a lot of JCrew stuff fits tight in the shoulders. At 6'1" I am not surprised at all you need a Large.

2. Staver

Staver Senior member

3. Robert

Robert Senior member

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and answering my question, everybody.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    SO over in WAYWT JackM got some flak for copying a look out of the J. Crew look book. I tried to come to his defense, but you can imagine how that went over.

Anyway, it got me curious... how many of you take ideas straight from the catalog or look books, etc.? I do this all the time. I see combinations (colors, styles) etc in the catalogs and previews that I might not have thought of and use them.

I guess, kinda. Generally I just put together whatever looks right for me. My JCrew personal collection is not large enough to wear the stuff all the time anyways.

5. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

SO over in WAYWT JackM got some flak for copying a look out of the J. Crew look book. I tried to come to his defense, but you can imagine how that went over.

Anyway, it got me curious... how many of you take ideas straight from the catalog or look books, etc.? I do this all the time. I see combinations (colors, styles) etc in the catalogs and previews that I might not have thought of and use them.

You should post fit pics.

6. scribbles

scribbles Senior member

I wouldn't say that I pull entire outfits straight from the catalogs, but I def idea. A lot of times there will be a new twist on a classic fabric or pattern that I hadn't seen before, or a color combination that I never would have considered. I also have a habit of picking out my favorite item from a bunch of different designers or stores and combining them into 1 outfit. A lot of times I'll also see a piece from a high end designer that is WAYYYY out of my price range at the moment and then I'll set off trying to find something similar at a lower price point or hit up the 'bay for a vintage piece that I can pick up dirt cheap and use the extra cash to tailor perfectly.

7. JackM

JackM Well-Known Member

You should post fit pics.

Yeah I'd like to see this. Maybe between the two of us we could put together our own J. Crew look book [​IMG]

8. wrenhunter

wrenhunter Senior member

9. linkster

linkster Member

Are Sperry X Jcrew boat shoes any different than the Sperry version of the shoes to justify the increase in price?

10. themaskedcorndog

themaskedcorndog Senior member

Does anybody else like the washed vintage oxford button down shirts that JC makes?

I saw these in store recently and really liked them.

Are these the sun-faded oxfords? I ordered one through the red phone 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard a fucking thing from j crew. Should I call them?

11. kevinbrownshakedown

kevinbrownshakedown Well-Known Member

Are Sperry X Jcrew boat shoes any different than the Sperry version of the shoes to justify the increase in price?

They have a preworn finish and an extra piece of chambray lining on part of the insole that is JCrew branded. It's up to you whether these details are worth the increase.

12. youalreadyknow

youalreadyknow Senior member

may be a fairly obvious question, but I don't know much about denim. Anyone have any experience with the 484 in resin crinkle wash in both selvedge and regular? The color looks different when I compare the two, wondering if its just the picture or if the color actually differs because it's selvedge.

13. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

For their boat shoes atleast, they are kind of a suedish soft leather, which I think is much nicer than the regular originals from sperry, and probably worth the extra money if you have it.

14. scribbles

scribbles Senior member

For their boat shoes atleast, they are kind of a suedish soft leather, which I think is much nicer than the regular originals from sperry, and probably worth the extra money if you have it.

I have to agree. I used to spend the majority of my weekends over the past 7-8 years fishing off the SE coast of FL, and I bought my Sperrys to *gasp* wear on a boat. I would dread having to buy a new pair as I would often get blisters until the leather was completely broken in (even then there were certain pairs that never got much better, particularly this one --> http://www.sperrytopsider.com/common..._1_700x700.jpg There was just something about that smooth leather that wrapped around the top. I really hated that pair).

My point being, if you plan on wearing your Sprerrys pretty regularly (i.e. wearing them for reasons other than just being "fashionable"), or if you plan on having to do a lot of walking while wearing them, then the broken in leather is well worth the extra price.

15. kevinbrownshakedown

kevinbrownshakedown Well-Known Member

I don't think the leather is actually better leather, but it is specially treated for a preworn look/feel. In any case, it does seem to feel nicer as a result.

16. FRAIS

FRAIS Member

I don't think the leather is actually better leather, but it is specially treated for a preworn look/feel. In any case, it does seem to feel nicer as a result.

I own the brown versions and they are suede... I can do without the non-laces/slip on design but they are comfortable as hell .... and its not like its ALOT more ... just a couple of extra bucks

17. FRAIS

FRAIS Member

SO over in WAYWT JackM got some flak for copying a look out of the J. Crew look book. I tried to come to his defense, but you can imagine how that went over. Anyway, it got me curious... how many of you take ideas straight from the catalog or look books, etc.? I do this all the time. I see combinations (colors, styles) etc in the catalogs and previews that I might not have thought of and use them.
    just saw the post on WAYWT, it really isnt that serious... he matched a colored shirt with white jeans that happen to be in the JCrew look book ... WHO CARES ... its a classic look

18. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I get a lot of my inspiration from j.crew's magazines and other places on the internet, and if someone says they dress without being influences by anything, that's just bs.

19. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

I thought the nitpicking at the guy for the lookbook look was silly. It's a warm weather shirt with white jeans. Not exactly stealing the Colonel's secret recipe. Gawd forbid catalogs start pairing things with blue jeans - then we're really screwed. This is just my perception, but anal SWD guy (no one in particular, but just a generalization of some of the more hardcore clotheshorses) can identify white vs washed white vs wheat jeans (and probably owns a pair of all three because to him they're different). He can identify the origin of a shirt by its buttons and notices how people roll their sleeves. Honestly to 95% of the public, we all dress alike. However this person would have a cow if you said, didn't I see that outfit in XYZ? Noooo... in fact, the jeans were a different wash and shoes were completely different! But, someone else wearing a JCrew shirt with jeans in not the same exact color and different shoes is a blatant rip off. To me it's less about originality as it is mall brand backlash in general.

20. Robert

Robert Senior member

Yes. Well said.