• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Razeus

Reaction score
Well the dress shirt I bought is shipping according to the email. I hope they are just as nice, if not better than the Secret Wash gigham shirts I've bought (which I absolutely LOVE btw). If so, J. Crew will be my go to store for just about everything, since that's my style anyways. The gingham shirts fit perfect off the damn rack. Amazing. The first time I don't have to go get them tailored. Don't know how the dress shirt will go, because just saying "medium" tells me nothing. I suspect I'm going to have to get it tailored.

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
I think some items will turn out to be personal favorites that I know will be in my rotation for a long, long time. It's why I'm ok paying the JC premium relative to some of their other mall brand peers. The items that are trendier takes on a classic item, I won't buy unless on sale. For example, the first vintage chambray utility shirt is $98 well spent. I'm trying to avoid the lure of the herringbone workshirt (unbelievable fabric - feels like pjs i can wear out) and red chambray if/when it ever comes out. I like the twill MacAllisters but have a hard time paying twice as much for a shoe that's probably going to look silly in 6 months vs regular DBs or chukkas that I already have.

On the sale rack though, everything is fair game!

I feel like you will not be able to find the red chambray shirt if you wait for it to go on sale... the 15% off student discount is the best I can hope for.

dragonxking

Reaction score
Originally Posted by racknac
I feel like you will not be able to find the red chambray shirt if you wait for it to go on sale... the 15% off student discount is the best I can hope for.

what is this student discount you speak of? sounds delicious

a-rock

Reaction score
For something basic like shirtings, I believe if it really sells like gangbusters, they'll eventually produce more inventory. You might have to wait a season, of course.

Earlier this year the chambray workshirt was nearly impossible to find at all the local stores, and there was just the blue and grey. Now there's stacks of them in every store, not to mention as well as new 10 different variations/colors of the workshirts. I've still never seen them on sale although but didn't have a problem snagging one a 25% code.

Whatever the new hotness for this season is -- and it looks like the red chambray is the winner -- I'm sure will be impossible to find during the first part of the spring, but plentiful when the summer inventory hits in the late spring.

wrenhunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The cotton suits look nice. I bought the wool flannel Ludlow suit the other day for about $230 shipped with the EXTRA20 coupon code.
The 3-button Ludlow in gray? Me, too. How do you like it?

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragonxking
what is this student discount you speak of? sounds delicious

If you show them a student ID (don't know if its restricted to college students) you get 15% off retail price. If it is on sale then no student discount. Previously you could get 10% off even if it was on sale, but they stopped that a few months ago.

If you go to Club Monaco you can get 20% off the entire purchase if you show them your student ID.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by racknac
If you show them a student ID (don't know if its restricted to college students) you get 15% off retail price. If it is on sale then no student discount. Previously you could get 10% off even if it was on sale, but they stopped that a few months ago.

If you go to Club Monaco you can get 20% off the entire purchase if you show them your student ID.

Even at 20% off Club Monaco is too much.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wrenhunter
The 3-button Ludlow in gray? Me, too. How do you like it?

Yeah. Haven't gotten it yet. I'll report back when it arrives. I don't wear suits often so I spend more on sportcoats than suits. I like J.Crew's Ludlow suits because they're the best styled separates for a good price. Like some others said, I've seen suits 3x more expensive that look shapeless and lackluster. There are many things at J.Crew I won't touch like dress shirts or ties, but the higher end suits are really hard to beat for me.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Even at 20% off Club Monaco is too much.

true- but their discount works on sale items unlike jcrew

bye4now122

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Yeah. Haven't gotten it yet. I'll report back when it arrives. I don't wear suits often so I spend more on sportcoats than suits. I like J.Crew's Ludlow suits because they're the best styled separates for a good price. Like some others said, I've seen suits 3x more expensive that look shapeless and lackluster. There are many things at J.Crew I won't touch like dress shirts or ties, but the higher end suits are really hard to beat for me.
Wait you got the whole suit (pants and jacket) for $230 shipped!? Damn that's a steal!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pop Quiz:
Which of these "colors" can't be found in the J.Crew's men section of their catalog(There are 6)
Light Cactus, Soft Apricot, Brick, Resort Pink, Portland Grey, Dark Wood, Yellow Corn, Old Brown, Dusty Baltic, Carolina Blue, Dark Chestnut, California Smog, Earth Brown, Pale Surplus, Deep Root, Bali Blue, Dark Pumpkin, Authentic Red, Vintage Kelly, Bisgue, Golden Olive, Light Bayberry, Lakeside Blue, Green, Rusted Orange, Tomato, Banana, Cool Charcoal, Voyage Blue, Old Robert Red, Heather Waterfall, Hard Apricot, Heather Spice, Autumn Plum, Dark Fatigue, Heather Dusk, Chalkboard, French Blue, or Tartan Green

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pop Quiz:
Which of these "colors" can't be found in the J.Crew's men section of their catalog(There are 6)
Light Cactus, Soft Apricot, Brick, Resort Pink, Portland Grey, Dark Wood, Yellow Corn, Old Brown, Dusty Baltic, Carolina Blue, Dark Chestnut, California Smog, Earth Brown, Pale Surplus, Deep Root, Bali Blue, Dark Pumpkin, Authentic Red, Vintage Kelly, Bisgue, Golden Olive, Light Bayberry, Lakeside Blue, Green, Rusted Orange, Tomato, Banana, Cool Charcoal, Voyage Blue, Old Robert Red, Heather Waterfall, Hard Apricot, Heather Spice, Autumn Plum, Dark Fatigue, Heather Dusk, Chalkboard, French Blue, or Tartan Green

this must be1

relax99

Reaction score
the sad thing is i know which ones without even checking

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Pop Quiz:

I've found more than six.

Heather Dusk
Soft Apricot
Vintage Kelly
Pale Surplus
Tomato
Dark Fatigue
Light Cactus
Heather Spice
Cool Charcoal
Heather Waterfall

Dark Chestnut- men's shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads