1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by deveandepot1, Dec 30, 2009.

1. hastur

hastur Senior member

can anyone offer any advice on the their "urban slim" fit chino's? how do they compare to their classic fit?

I didn't see anyone answer this so I guess I will. The main difference I noticed wasn't the overall fit - it seemed very similar to the classic fit, but in the leg opening. The urban slim is much more tapered, and I would estimate the leg opening is at least an inch smaller than the classics.

2. Adam_Lee

Adam_Lee Senior member

Ha ha ha. I got it for $60!

I remember you scoffing at the clearance store a few months back...I don't think you should have an air of superiority about it.

3. xchen

xchen Senior member

Orange Stanton shorts came today. Love them.

4. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

If you look at the captions above the photos you'll notice that he's wearing the S madras but XS chambray. So he was sizing up on the madras. I have both of those same shirts in S and the madras is definitely slimmer. I was actually debating whether to return that blush madras. It's still sitting in the bag with tags on. Hand second thoughts but after seeing the pics, makes me want to try it on again once I get home.
    Yeah I couldn't find it in a size XS. However, upon further review I am going to be listing it for sale instead of holding onto it. Looking through the closet again, I just have too many plaid style shirts and just need to cut back. So if anyone wants this madras in size small without having to search for it throughout US stores or J.Crew customer service, hit me up. I'll let it go for $55 shipped and pass the savings on.
    tonio, are the collar buttons on the chambray the same size as the rest of the shirt, or are they smaller? I've noticed that in all the fit pics I've seen, people are leaving that collar undone. I ordered one that won't be here until April, but I had a mind to maybe get a tailor to put proper buttonholes in it. Hidden-button collars seem silly to me.
    I believe this question was answered, but yeah same size. I also think the hidden button on this shirt with short collar is a little quirky and have thought about removing them, but we'll see.

5. shadrach

shadrach Senior member

robert any other notable deals at the clearance stores?

6. aktao

aktao Active Member

I didn't see anyone answer this so I guess I will. The main difference I noticed wasn't the overall fit - it seemed very similar to the classic fit, but in the leg opening. The urban slim is much more tapered, and I would estimate the leg opening is at least an inch smaller than the classics.

I noticed the same thing about the urban slim fit. Not much of a difference in the thigh area, but just slimmer in the leg opening.

7. wrenhunter

wrenhunter Senior member

Went to try on the nice ludlow suit in charcoal sharkskin and it was sweet. Very nice feel to it. But, kind of hard to stomach a $600 purchase from jcrew. I suppose i can sign up for the jcrew card and get 20%. Any chance the Ludlows go on sale later this spring?
    If you don't need it, wait. They will go on sale at some point. A few of us got a great deal on the Ludlow flannel suit in December.

8. wrenhunter

wrenhunter Senior member

I visited NYC today and visited both stores in lower Manhattan. The staff at the Men's Store were great, really helpful and friendly. The Ludlow striped cotton suit is nice. The Aldens are killers, both longwing and oxford. I asked to see the new glen plaid SC, but they said the store would not be carrying it, catalog only. Saw both red & blue chambray, both nice but I like the blue.

I only popped into the Liquor Store, didn't wow me. I don't really get why they have two stores in such proximity?

I also stopped by Billy Reid (ouch $$$, but great stuff) and Varvatos (ha ha ha $$$$).

9. BossTweed

BossTweed Senior member

Billy Reid is precisely the store for the J. Crew patron that finally made some dough. Varvatos is for the J. Crew patron that never made dough but watches How to Make it in America.

P.S. Is "made dough" still a relevant term?

10. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Billy Reid store is awesome, it's like a house inside, smells like apple cider, and the SAs are really cool. Sometimes they have free fried chicken and they serve bourbon(too bad i found that out after visiting).

11. BossTweed

BossTweed Senior member

Yes. I admit bias stemming from friendly SAs serving bourbon.

12. Robert

Robert Senior member

robert any other notable deals at the clearance stores?

Not really. It's hit and miss. Just depends on what they have in, and they don't have a lot of any one thing. For example, there were only three Sutherlands and only two peacoats.

They did have a lot of Mcallister boots for only $30 but they were all mostly one or two sizes, 8 and 9s or something like that.

13. sazon

sazon Senior member

I tried these on last week with the thought they'd be too slim on me, like the 484 jeans. Turns out I love the fit. Bought one pair and prolly will buy another. They cut a nice profile.

Makes the regular fit look like clown pants.

14. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Sounds like the red Chambray is finally appearing in stores. I'll need to go check it out this weekend.

15. Jr Mouse

call customer service, and they will look for it in XS for you.

Has anyone had much luck finding sizes like this that are lot listed online? I want a pair of those vintage slim wheat jeans, but they are out of my size online. Was wondering if it's worth a call to CS to see if any stores carry it.

16. wrenhunter

wrenhunter Senior member

Billy Reid store is awesome, it's like a house inside, smells like apple cider, and the SAs are really cool.

Sometimes they have free fried chicken and they serve bourbon(too bad i found that out after visiting).

The Billy Reid in NYC did not have fried chicken or free likker, just the awesome clothes. And yeah, I'd need two jobs like the current one to dress in Billy style. The sale prices were getting close, didn't have my size in the cashmere sportcoat tho.

17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I need to buy my first blazer and pants (would I call it a suit?). I need it for a wedding in August. Will the ludlow do the job? Size XS in JCrew is too small for me in the chest but size small is always too long and the sleeves are usually baggy. Wondering if I should try for an XS. I could also just get a Uniqlo blazer and pants because Uniqlo Small fits me well due to their slim sleeves.

18. sazon

sazon Senior member

Has anyone had much luck finding sizes like this that are lot listed online? I want a pair of those vintage slim wheat jeans, but they are out of my size online. Was wondering if it's worth a call to CS to see if any stores carry it.

call 1-877-280-2718

J Crew will find it for u and ship it to u

19. Jr Mouse

call 1-877-280-2718

J Crew will find it for u and ship it to u

Alright when I get some money in I will try that. Thanks!

20. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

They did have a lot of Mcallister boots for only $30 but they were all mostly one or two sizes, 8 and 9s or something like that.

Dude, you should be selling those here! Colors? At that price I'd buy a pair of 9's from you and pay you hefty finders fee.