• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Mmm, I didn't fall in love with the cadet jacket. For one thing, the epaulets seem awkward. Would be a better design without them. The black color may be OK. I didn't like the tan. It's cut pretty short and slim. I found the shortness awkward as well.

However, something very similar, the utility jacket is much nicer, imo. I've worn the hell out of mine since picking it up last spring.

If you want a jacket like this, go for the utility.

I have grown to dislike epaulets. When they first made a come back, I have to admit I got into it for a short period, but at this point I am tired of them and wish they would go away.

seany

Reaction score
This is my first jacket w. epaulets, but can def see why you guys are getting tired of them. They are on nearly 99% of the outwear jackets coming out in a millions of brands.

edit: I acutally owned a jacket by the brand Obey that had epaulets. That jacket was two times to big, and went through war with me.

JRyder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
I'd be wary of that unless your goal was to go for solid wheat color. Something like this:

http://pics.ae.com/is/image/aeo/0111...9_d1?$pdp-408$

I like the fit of the 501s anyway but it was just that their white is a real WHITE. Washing it took off some of that new denim sheen. The used rags gave it a tiny, tiny bit of darkness, but more importantly gave some specklings of dirtiness similar to what you see here. I'll try and post a pic of how it came out.

These are the J.Crew in their wheat color but very similar result.

Truthfully, I never saw myself as an off-white jeans guy, but I tried these on at the store and was impressed with the texture of the denim. It's really a fabuluously textured hand.

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matsuya
Should I get the utility jacket in shadow or surplus? I'm torn with which one to go with. I wear jeans mostly.

Shadow.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave333
http://us.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stor...5458&langId=-1

Topman has an interesting red chambray. 70 bucks isn't too bad. It is definitely a lil funky though.

eh.gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
This is my first jacket w. epaulets, but can def see why you guys are getting tired of them. They are on nearly 99% of the outwear jackets coming out in a millions of brands.

edit: I acutally owned a jacket by the brand Obey that had epaulets. That jacket was two times to big, and went through war with me.

Yeah the whole epaulets fad blew up a couple years ago in fashion. Because of that now everyone is making them and it has got stale, really fast. No offense to anyone who bought the mentioned JCrew jacket, but I think the trend is done.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRyder
Truthfully, I never saw myself as an off-white jeans guy, but I tried these on at the store and was impressed with the texture of the denim. It's really a fabuluously textured hand.

I have yet to see it in store and in person. I want a pair, but I need to see it with my eyes first.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matsuya
Should I get the utility jacket in shadow or surplus? I'm torn with which one to go with. I wear jeans mostly.

Surplus.

It's a more interesting color than the shadow and contrasts denim much, much better.

MKC306

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend what size to get in the utility jacket? I'm 5'9", 145 lbs, 38R.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone who applied for a Jcrew credit card online: How long did it take the rejection letter or card to arrive in the mail? I applied last week and usually when getting credit cards they come in a few days. I want my card so I can hop on that utility jacket and some t shirts with my first purchase discount.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads