1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Teger, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Althis

Althis Senior member

^
    There is a 2-button ludlow on the site--just not in the "Italian wool." They have it in cotton and worsted wool. I ordered the Italian wool in a 3/2 roll.

Yeah I saw it, but they only have the charcoal sharkskin and I'm looking for just plain charcoal =/

2. 1969

1969 Senior member

I love the J. Crew aesthetic. There are multiple pages of items where I wouldn't mind owning every single piece. (All the vintage oxfords, thomas mason, all colours of the chinos). I think PP has done a great job of getting that look down and I wouldn't mind being dressed in purely J. Crew. A little sale, a little tailoring and a lot of their stuff seems to have great value.
    I swore off Jcrew a couple of years ago in favor of better quality stuff and to just to take some time to re-evaluate after being initiated to the ways of SF. What I've decided is that their knits are not worth my money at any cost. That excludes me buying polo's and sweaters and I'm covered from the waist down with SF approved denim and Incotex Chino Lino's in the summer. Hence, my pickups are limited to shirts and oddly enough I just opted for 3 shirts from the GAP at $20 each because I liked them better than anything I saw at Jcrew.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

you should tell us what happens when you wash those gap shirts

4. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

Thanks for the measurement. I hope the waist is not going to be too tight.

I made these measurements by zipping/buttoning up the chinos and laying them flat on a table. I align the front and backside top edges of the chinos and measure across the waistband from left side edge to right side edge and multiply by 2. I'm not sure if that is the correct way to measure or is the same way as you did it.

I didn't line up the back and front of the pants so my measurement is smaller than yours. Lining them up usually adds one more inch. When you get the pants in, can you tell me how much the legs get bigger between 28 and 29? Thanks.

5. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

I swore off Jcrew a couple of years ago in favor of better quality stuff and to just to take some time to re-evaluate after being initiated to the ways of SF. What I've decided is that their knits are not worth my money at any cost. That excludes me buying polo's and sweaters and I'm covered from the waist down with SF approved denim and Incotex Chino Lino's in the summer. Hence, my pickups are limited to shits and oddly enough I just opted for 3 shirts from the GAP at $20 each because I liked them better than anything I saw at Jcrew.

I actually don't own anything from J. Crew still. I've had a crew-neck that seemed pretty decent. At $15-$20 I'd like it as something to throw on. The shirts i've dealt with were super soft and i definitely would grab a ton. I really hope the quality isn't as bad on other stuff as you say.

( i do ahve a bunch of ties I got at $15, ribbon belts, etc.)

6. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

What do you mean?

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What do you mean?

They turn into an ugly mess. The ends of the shirt wrinkle up, the side seam shrinks uneven, the collar becomes all mangled, and they turn into a short square. I could get these for free at my old job, got a few and never used them outside.

8. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

bought a pair of the urban slim fit chinos and some liquor store chinos to compare the fit of the two. here's to hoping one works out.

9. 1969

1969 Senior member

My hope is that they'll hold up for 6 wears/ 6 months/6 cold water hand washes with a line dry. They are sort of filling a niche for super cheap throw away shirts needed to pad my rotation.

10. Robert

Robert Senior member

I swore off Jcrew a couple of years ago in favor of better quality stuff and to just to take some time to re-evaluate after being initiated to the ways of SF. What I've decided is that their knits are not worth my money at any cost. That excludes me buying polo's and sweaters and I'm covered from the waist down with SF approved denim and Incotex Chino Lino's in the summer. Hence, my pickups are limited to shirts and oddly enough I just opted for 3 shirts from the GAP at $20 each because I liked them better than anything I saw at Jcrew.

Initiated into the ways of SF!? SF approved!? Maybe it's time to re-evaluate being an individual?

It's been said before, but why bother participating in this thread if you don't care for J. Crew? I don't think this thread was created with the intention of J. Crew bashing. I understood it was for J. Crew afficionados, basically.

11. Robert

Robert Senior member

Gingham.!

Went lookin in the store for a gingham shirt. Only one left and not my size. That one went fast.

12. Narwhale

Narwhale Well-Known Member

I'm currently coveting the Red Wing Rugged Classics, but I'm planning on waiting for a bit better sale (30% or 20+free shipping would probably do it). Can anyone comment on the fit? I'm planning on sizing down .5 from my Clarks DBs. Sound good?

13. Robert

Robert Senior member

Yeah their "slim" pants/chinos aren't slim at all. Luckily for me, I have relatively big thighs so I can still fit into them. Now I just need to do more squats to fill out the ass.

Makes me wonder if the J. Crew slim means "slim with muscles" not "slim for those with no ass and with chicken legs."

14. epsilon

epsilon Well-Known Member

I find them to be a bit larger, but certainly not a full size too big.

A JCrew medium secret wash button down is fitted on me, maybe a hair small after being washed and shrunk a few times. A large secret wash button down is pretty big on me, and I usually use those as loose fitting shirts for the hot summers.

The medium Linen Camp shirt is literally the perfect fit, for me at least. Slightly larger than a washed and worn button down but no where near a large. I can get you the measurements for a medium (new, haven't washed it yet) later tonight if you want.

Thanks for that info. Do you mind posting your chest measurement? I'm a 42 and wondering whether I should go M or L.

15. Toopy

Toopy Member

I'm currently coveting the Red Wing Rugged Classics, but I'm planning on waiting for a bit better sale (30% or 20+free shipping would probably do it). Can anyone comment on the fit? I'm planning on sizing down .5 from my Clarks DBs. Sound good?

That could go either way, you might have to try both to get the right fit.

16. epsilon

Makes me wonder if the J. Crew slim means "slim with muscles" not "slim for those with no ass and with chicken legs."
    What is the slimmest chino they have, preferably among the ones on sale? I was about to order the "Slim-fit lightweight chino" but this statement got me worried. I have average ass, but my thighs are fairly small (23", ordering size 36).

17. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

urban slim fit is the slimmest

18. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

What is the slimmest chino they have, preferably among the ones on sale? I was about to order the "Slim-fit lightweight chino" but this statement got me worried. I have average ass, but my thighs are fairly small (23", ordering size 36).

i ordered one of each, the urban slim fit and the "slim fit chino" from the liquor store. just trying to to see how they fit. i like the side tabs on the latter and they look cheaper and slimmer than the urban slim fit. only time will tell i suppose.

19. epsilon

Much obliged for the responses.
    urban slim fit is the slimmest
    I was looking for white, how close is bisque of the urban?

i ordered one of each, the urban slim fit and the "slim fit chino" from the liquor store. just trying to to see how they fit. i like the side tabs on the latter and they look cheaper and slimmer than the urban slim fit. only time will tell i suppose.
    I take it you haven't received them yet. Hard to tell from the model pics which is slimmer. I'm also a bit worried about the "frayed" description of the urban.

20. scb

scb Senior member

just picked up a medium seashore madras at my local store. they had 2...