1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Teger, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I'm really sick of jeans now.

2. v3l

v3l Senior member

There's nothing sexier than a blazer, a tie, and jeans. And yet most men can't put it together; they either end up with a suit and tie or jeans and T-shirt. Try taking half from one look and half from the other. Chances are you'll get something a little bit cooler.

A pressed shirt signals work mode. But a washed-cotton shirt automatically makes you feel more touchable, more approachable. It's effortless. However, if everything is washed"”that's not interesting. When washed is paired with a blazer and a tie, it looks amazing.

Get dressed, then change one element. With a suit, wear a pair of Converse, or take off your dress shirt and put on a chambray button-down instead. You can also do the reverse. Try khakis rolled up with wingtips. Tweaking one thing is an easy way for guys to modernize an outfit, even if they don't know what the hell they're doing.

touchÃ[​IMG].

3. BB1

BB1 Senior member

Why is everyone so enamored with this mediocre brand by providing a 91 page tribute to it?

Yes, it's better than most stuff available in the malls. Yes, their photographers and stylists are really good at what they do-- everything looks so effortless and relaxed. However, nearly everything is so-so quality at best. Additionally, most of their clothing is very blocky and shaped like a square, as if it was designed for someone trying to hide a beer belly.

Every item I've bought from J. Crew I either sent back or ultimately regretted keeping. The garments always looked far better in the pictures vs. what I actually received. And when I try them on, they never look as good on me as any of their models. Yet, most stuff I order from more expensive brands looks just as good on me as it does on the models. Remember the picture on the J. Crew web site with the visible clothespin being used to hide the excess fabric? This explains a lot.

It is as if they are trying to sell an image of well tailored, trim fitting clothing to overweight Americans. They know the well tailored look is better for selling things. But the actual product is designed differently than pictured so the average guy (whom feels most comfortable in baggy, blocky clothing) will be happy when he tries it on. I suppose J. Crew has its place for some whom don't know any better, but this is styleforum and I would think people would spend a bit more effort looking for better alternatives than whatever the most heavily advertised brand is that just happens to provide a reasonable look.

I still really want to like J. Crew, but they won't let me. It is the difference between their image and reality.

4. robin

robin Senior member

Why is everyone so enamored with this mediocre brand by providing a 91 page tribute to it?
    In reality there are only about 15-20 people actively participating in this thread.

5. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

6. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

I don't know I have never had any quality issues with J.Crew fabric and items i've had for years are still in great shape. Sure some things could be a bit slimmer, but thats what tailoring is for. There are plenty of great items they put out. I really like the fit of their vneck tee shirts, since I am not into the whole super slim tee shirt look...

Don't be a hater, mostly everyone in this thread also kops things much more expensive, you just have a problem if you can't succesfully mix high and low and make it look good...

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I still really want to like J. Crew, but they won't let me. It is the difference between their image and reality.

I feel the same way about Ralph Lauren. Every single thing I've bought online from them in the past 2 years I have returned for the same reasons you state about the Crew

but when I think about it I guess I feel the same way about the Crew as well. But I can see why guys are all over it during sale time

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

What Constant says...

I'm not at all overweight but I find almost everything I get from J. Crew fits fine. Yeah, a few things tend not to be so tailored, but they're not awful like Eddie Bauer or Banana Republic. And sometimes things are not meant to be slim and tight-fitting. More classic "vintage" items sometimes need to have that bit more fuller fit to look right.

I love the premium officers chinos, and even some of the other pants, including the garment-dyed jeans and broken-in chinos. Other favorites include great sweaters from the past F/W season, and the utility jacket from this spring. I think they do a great job with men's outerwear, too.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

I feel the same way about Ralph Lauren. Every single thing I've bought online from them in the past 2 years I have returned for the same reasons you state about the Crew

but when I think about it I guess I feel the same way about the Crew as well. But I can see why guys are all over it during sale time

ralph lauren is the best brand at creating the idea of a lifestyle that you can buy into

genius and it made him a billionaire

10. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

Yes, it's better than most stuff available in the malls. Yes, their photographers and stylists are really good at what they do-- everything looks so effortless and relaxed. However, nearly everything is so-so quality at best. Additionally, most of their clothing is very blocky and shaped like a square, as if it was designed for someone trying to hide a beer belly.

Every item I've bought from J. Crew I either sent back or ultimately regretted keeping. The garments always looked far better in the pictures vs. what I actually received. And when I try them on, they never look as good on me as any of their models. Yet, most stuff I order from more expensive brands looks just as good on me as it does on the models. Remember the picture on the J. Crew web site with the visible clothespin being used to hide the excess fabric? This explains a lot.

It is as if they are trying to sell an image of well tailored, trim fitting clothing to overweight Americans. They know the well tailored look is better for selling things. But the actual product is designed differently than pictured so the average guy (whom feels most comfortable in baggy, blocky clothing) will be happy when he tries it on. I suppose J. Crew has its place for some whom don't know any better, but this is styleforum and I would think people would spend a bit more effort looking for better alternatives than whatever the most heavily advertised brand is that just happens to provide a reasonable look.

...Just like every store display mannequin in every store everywhere. Not that I love J.Crew, but everyone does this, it's up to us to try stuff on, sans clothespins, and see what fits.

11. justtemple

justtemple Senior member

I am not sure what you hoped to gain out of this post. If there are 91 pages dedicated to J. Crew spring/summer 09 (and countless to fall/winter 08). That means, to me, something with the clothes are working for the people who are contributing, myself included.

If they aren't working for you, that's fine too. I just don't feel like it's something that has to be presented/asked negatively. Stop buying J. Crew and move on to something that suits your tastes better.

12. Robert

Robert Senior member

It would not be cool to turn this into J. Crew justification thread.

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

For the money the quality is very high. Like stated above, the cuts are horribly boxy and fat. I wish a major retailer would isolate themselves from the fat everyday American and provide clothes for people who actually take care of their health.

14. Robert

Robert Senior member

For the money the quality is very high. Like stated above, the cuts are horribly boxy and fat. I wish a major retailer would isolate themselves from the fat everyday American and provide clothes for people who actually take care of their health.

Horribly box and fat? No. That's not accurate.

15. justtemple

justtemple Senior member

I liked it so much better last week when we were trying to figure out whether or not we were going to get jobs at J.Crew. sigh

16. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Horribly box and fat? No. That's not accurate.
    I have a 12 inch drop and can't buy any shirt there without it needing to be tapered. Their cardigans and V-necks fit like shit too.

17. robin

robin Senior member

I have a 12 inch drop and can't buy any shirt there without it needing to be tapered. Their cardigans and V-necks fit like shit too.
    Of course it's not going to fit when you have 12 inch drop.

18. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

I like how most of their items fit. My only problem are their button downs, even then, I get all my shirts tailored anyway.

19. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

ralph lauren is the best brand at creating the idea of a lifestyle that you can buy into

genius and it made him a billionaire

True dat. I just discovered something wonderfully horrible yesterday as well, http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/rlhome/default.asp

20. milosz

milosz Senior member

Yes, it's better than most stuff available in the malls.

Way to answer your own question. Most people don't live with easy access to MAC or Farinelli's, or the income to only wear high-end brands.

J. Crew is popular, even here, because it's often one of the best options available to a large number of people. Sometimes overpriced (okay, often, unless you shop smart), but stylish and adult without being grandpa-y.