J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Teger, Dec 29, 2008.

1. garmis

garmis Senior member

I recently picked up three pairs of the officer chino shorts @ $30 a piece. I am very pleased, a serious upgrade from the twill field short last year if you like the longer inseam look.

2. FromCAtoCO

FromCAtoCO Senior member

I recently picked up three pairs of the officer chino shorts @ $30 a piece. I am very pleased, a serious upgrade from the twill field short last year if you like the longer inseam look.

What waist are you? Anyway you can take a measurement of inseam and total length?

3. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

I've also noticed that there is some stuff in-store not on the website, like the yellow raincoat that the Soho store has two of, in large only.
    That yellow rain slicker is from F/W 08. Every store had it and whatever you saw is just remaining stock. The Baracuta jacket is Liquor Store and online only.

4. robin

robin Senior member

I want a short version of the rain slicker.

5. planetofsound

planetofsound Well-Known Member

That yellow rain slicker is from F/W 08. Every store had it and whatever you saw is just remaining stock. The Baracuta jacket is Liquor Store and online only.

I don't think it's Liquor store only -- I've seen the Baracuta jacket in the Rockefeller Center store and the 5th avenue store down in the teens. This was over a month ago though.

6. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

I have been eyeing the shorts-version of those officers pants. Inseam and/or thigh measurements would be much appreciated. Hopefully a lot of this stuff will go on sale soon.

7. garmis

garmis Senior member

I purchased a size 33 and they actually measure:

17.25 inches across the waist.
    12 inches at the thigh
    21 inches long
    10.5 inch inseam

I am a true J Crew 33 and these fit comfortably, if not a tad loose. I have not washed them yet but have worn them a few times, so the waist appears to have stretched a tad.

8. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

I don't think it's Liquor store only -- I've seen the Baracuta jacket in the Rockefeller Center store and the 5th avenue store down in the teens. This was over a month ago though.
    Liquor store only. I've spoken with SA's at the stores, have been to the stores very frequently, and even called CS. What I think you saw was probably the J. Crew lookalikes mentioned earlier. I even have friends that work at J. Crew who tell me the same thing.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

I need to pick up a spring sweater.

10. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

What's up with the outlet stores? Some stuff is just cheaper... Is it poorer quality? The darker blue chambray is $58 along with club shorts being around $40 I think (I kinda forget), suede macallister boots at $85. If they're not worse quality, consider this a PSA. I got the chambray in Medium, and it definitely is a bit fuller than the other shirts, so I'm going to have to take it into the tailor.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

What's up with the outlet stores? Some stuff is just cheaper... Is it poorer quality? The darker blue chambray is $58 along with club shorts being around $40 I think (I kinda forget), suede macallister boots at $85. If they're not worse quality, consider this a PSA. I got the chambray in Medium, and it definitely is a bit fuller than the other shirts, so I'm going to have to take it into the tailor.

yes most of the things sold at the outlet are lower quality versions made just for the outlet

12. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Went to their huge 16th street Manhattan shop on Monday.

* I bought a decent pair of pants in a light grey shadow stripe.

* Tried on the seersucker and khaki suit separates, but the blazers don't work on me at all. They're boxy and cut way too long in the body for me. I'm 5' 10". Do other guys have this problem?

* Tried on the white bucks. Fit was alright. Finishing was scheisse. There was all this glue discoloration over the (possibly fake) welt. It was the last size 10 in stock so I asked if I could get a discount. They offered me 10% off and final sale. Whoa, what a great deal! Of course I passed on it. I'm going to bite the bullet next week and get a pair of Aldens.

* Looked for the 5" inseam shorts, but they told me they're still only sold online. Really? They can't get a few of them for their big shops in major cities? Throw us a bone!

That's it. My fiancee picked up a bunch of tanks.

13. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

* Tried on the seersucker and khaki suit separates, but the blazers don't work on me at all. They're boxy and cut way too long in the body for me. I'm 5' 10". Do other guys have this problem?

Their blazers always look pretty awful on me as well (same height as you).

14. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Probably worth it. Sales people told me it "never" goes on sale. Don't know if that's true, but it was enough of a ploy to make me pull the trigger.

How are you liking it? How "slim fit" would you say it is?

15. Robert

Robert Senior member

It's a favorite, for sure. It's average in fit, neither slim nor blousy, I find. About like many regular "secret wash" J. Crew shirts. I can see how those who like a tighter fit would want this tailored, but to me it fits very well.

It's very comfortable. A lot of its charm has to do with all the great details--to name a few, the large white buttons, the stitching down the button column that ends in a v before it meets the shirt tail, the collar tab.