• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
The outlet stores are always more basic for menswear in particular. Not sure about J Crew, but the BR outlets are a separate company that just buy last year's stock of fabric and turn it into some hideous designs.

I have had good luck at the J Crew outlet and have found stuff that I had seen in the stores. I have only bought about 3 winter weight favorite shirts and a Fair Isle vest. The vest was an awesome deal that was only $15, regular price was $100 and it was used in an issue of GQ.

got a source for this? i told this to my gf and she was really surprised. mainly because she said regular BR lets her use credit she has at the outlet stores.

andychen

Reaction score
I think the posts confirmed my thoughts on Jcrew outlet stuff. I visited a Jcrew outlet once and noticed apparent inferior construction quality of a chino. I also found a secret wash shirt and the inner tags did not have the two diamonds, but they are much more boxier than those in retail stores. So they may be from last season. But I never bought and worn anything from outlet stores that's why I asked.

A sidenote about BR outlet. I found some 1/4-zip sweaters in an outlet store and in the retail store with identical designs, color, cut and such, but the one in the retail store was made of 50% silk+50% pima cotton and the one in the outlet was made of cotton.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
got a source for this? i told this to my gf and she was really surprised. mainly because she said regular BR lets her use credit she has at the outlet stores.
Yes, you can use credit between the stores. I don't have a source, I spoke with someone who worked somewhere in the BR ladder many moons ago. The styles are definitely different at the BR outlet though, minus a few accessories. The stuff in the BR outlet is usually pretty ugly too. I've had it with deals and discount shops. If I see something I need I just buy it and try to keep my buying to a minimum in general. For stuff I don't need I just wait for it to go on sale and don't care if it does or not.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The outlet stores are always more basic for menswear in particular. Not sure about J Crew, but the BR outlets are a separate company that just buy last year's stock of fabric and turn it into some hideous designs.
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
The BR Outlets are not a separate company. They are part of GAP Inc. It is true, however, that most of their clothing is ugly.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
The BR Outlets are not a separate company. They are part of GAP Inc. It is true, however, that most of their clothing is ugly.
Right there on wiki, it is indeed part of GAP Inc. Maybe it isn't an entirely separate company, but still it is technically a separate company from Banana Republic. In other words, the stuff from the stores do not simply go to the outlet, which is what I thought when I first went to it. The inventory in the outlet uses last year's fabric and is created by a separate set of [college graduate] designers. no?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still it is technically a separate company from Banana Republic.

I understand what you are trying to say, but calling it a separate company is technically wrong. It is distinct from Banana Republic proper, but then again so is Bananarepublic.com. Operationally, Gap has an "Outlet Division," which comprises both Gap Outlets and Banana Republic Factory Stores. When it comes to reporting sales, Banana Republic Factory Store sales are lumped in with regular Banana Republic sales.

At any rate, the clothing you find in the outlets is indeed different than what you find in the mainline stores. Gap says the product line is "similar"--which means it often looks more or less the same but is made of different (cheaper) fabrics and has slightly different styling and details.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I tried it out and bought it in black at full price (haven't done that at J. Crew in a long time) because it was the last one in my size and I quite liked the light weight, slimmer fit, and design. I'd recommend it.
Is the camp shirt wrinkly unless ironed?

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's wrinkly off the rack. I haven't worn it yet as I got it this past Saturday, but it's poplin fabric so I imagine it will wrinkle some without ironing.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of rugby stuff is turning up at Polo outlets lately, including khakis. They are far superior to J Crews classic fits, imo, and can be had in the $40 range.

The J Crew outlet shirts are awful - the buttons and stitiching both look very cheap. Even at $12 a shirt, I regret the shirts I bought there.

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
camp shirt - anyone try it out?

I just got the khaki-colored camp shirt a few days ago. The material and fit is essentially the same as the lightweight point colar poplin shirt that they also sell (and which I have 3 of). It is very thin and soft. I really like the material (very comfy) but I wonder about long term durablity and it does tend to wrinkle easy.
The khaki color does give me a park ranger/scout leader look, which I'm not sure I like.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just picked up 3 cotton-cashmere v-necks in the store for only 19 bucks each. They're perfect. The navy is gorgeous, and I also got the heather gray and heather glacial.

The new light weight l/s shirts are really fine, too. Picked up one of those as well as a "secret wash" plain white l/s and a sale (winter season) small-checked blue button-down collar shirt.

Got a pair of the new light weight khakis in gray (J. Crew calls it deisel, I think). I'll wear these a lot. Yes, the wrinkle more than the regular weight, but I like that look.

Life is fine when there's a J. Crew store nearby.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found the white chambray in the 5th ave store yesterday. Maybe my hopes were up too high, but I quickly fell out of love with it. Thought I'd love the blue, but I actually loved the grey the best.

After the 25% red card, I felt it was worthy purchase, if just a bit overpriced.

damn, this red card has me spending more than I planned. Smart move Mickey!

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WesAnderson
Anyone have a chance to try these on yet? How do they look and fit? I'm looking for a slim fit khaki chino for the spring and summer -- if not J. Crew, what other brands would you recommend?

^ Regarding the Slim-fit lightweight chino pant:

For all this talk about J.Crew slim chino's having large thighs and still not being slim enough for SF standards (myself included), no one other than Teger has pulled the trigger on these and able to provide some updates? I will probably purchase it soon, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone can speak on them before I do? Gracias.

EDIT: And what is this "red card" again?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I tried them and I think they're fine. They're not skin tight but they're not big either.

I would suggest going to the store, though, and trying them on for yourself.

andychen

Reaction score
anyone can give me some measurements of the repp polo for medium tailored fit and small original fit? I got some small tailored fit ones and they are a little tight on me, so I am thinking about other sizes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads