J. Crew Quality?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sartorially Challenged, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Robert Talbott is very genuine American, so is Oxxford. On the grooming side I would say Kiehls.

2. Sator

Sator Senior member

Some of Brooks' offerings are still made in the U.S. Alden too.
    Good point about the Alden. Pity that even the button down shirts that Brooks Brothers were so famous for are now outsourced to some sorry place. I brought a BB button down about 15 years ago and it was a fine shirt indeed. Now they just make rubbish.

3. Artisan Fan

Hickey-Freeman? Eagle shirtmakers? Arrow? Land's End? Alden shoes?

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't believe I forgot Oxxford. Silly me.

But Arrow?

5. Sator

Sator Senior member

Robert Talbott is very genuine American, so is Oxxford. On the grooming side I would say Kiehls.
    Aha! Yes of course - Oxxford. A fine American institution indeed. I saw a lot of whole suits by them at Filene's Basement in Boston. Size was a little biggish for me but nothing my tailor couldn't fix. I sorely regret not buying any of them[​IMG] . Too late now of course....

6. Sator

Sator Senior member

I can't believe I forgot Oxxford. Silly me.

But Arrow?

I should add that I think that Americans probably spend too long gazing over the other side of the fence. There is a tendency to assume that something carrying an Italian name like "Giorgio _" must be better than something made in the good 'ol US of A. It's easy for me to say though as I am a non-American and things like Alden and Oxxford are exotica to me. If every American would considered it a right of passage to own his first Oxxford suit and Alden shoes, it would be a wonderful thing indeed.

7. Artisan Fan

I chose Arrow on more of a historical basis than a quality basis obviously.

I have another one: Martin Dingman belts and wallets. The real deal.

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Probably made by some children working under Dickensian conditions in a sweatshop on starvation wages. Under wretched conditions, for wretched pay, only wretched garments are ever made. For nobody ever has the chance to derive pride and joy from their work. Shame on you J Press.

J Press is a totally different ballgame. I think you must have gone into a J Crew and thinking J Press. Stop by J Press and you may actually see what Brooks was like.

9. Artisan Fan

From a sportsman angle but really now expanding to more manufacturing overseas is LL Bean and Orvis.

Sperry Topsiders used to genuine but they went global years ago.

I am not sure outsourcing manufacturing is a bad thing in any event...I believ that design and quality control is key.

10. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Probably made by some children working under Dickensian conditions in a sweatshop on starvation wages. Under wretched conditions, for wretched pay, only wretched garments are ever made. For nobody ever has the chance to derive pride and joy from their work. Shame on you J Press.
    True enough. Welcome to globalization.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Abercrombie & Fitch.[​IMG]

That's some true Americana there, complete with Bruce Weber ads, and all.

12. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

How about J. Crew vs. Charles Tyrwhitt?

Specifically, what about that J.Crew 3/4 top coat vs. CT top coat (95% wool, 5% cashmere) in charcoal?

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

How about J. Crew vs. Charles Tyrwhitt?

Specifically, what about that J.Crew 3/4 top coat vs. CT top coat (95% wool, 5% cashmere) in charcoal?

Tyrwhitt compares unfavorably to other Jermyn Street makers, but my two Tyrwhitt shirts are immeasurably nicer than my J. Crew shirts.

The J. Crew coats, though, seem nice enough. (No experience with the Tyrwhitt coats.)

14. Sator

Sator Senior member

J Press is a totally different ballgame. I think you must have gone into a J Crew and thinking J Press. Stop by J Press and you may actually see what Brooks was like.
    Actually you may be right here. I rushed out so quickly I barely looked back. The names are terribly similar and to an outsider like me easily the source of confusion. If ever I am in the US on business again I will try to remember to make sure I go into a J PRESS rather a J Crew.

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Tyrwhitt is likely better in terms of construction; I find J Crew's designs much more interesting, though.