• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew Quality?

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
How do J. Crew clothes compare in quality to, say, Charles Tyrwhitt clothing?

I really like the fit of J. Crew casual shirts (the "tailored fit" lines), and it also has slimfit chinos and jeans available (only online/catalogue). J.Crew carries odd numbered sized pants (e.g. 31, 33, 35), and since I fit between the usually even sizes, I appreciate that also.

But since I lack expertise, I don't know whether J. Crew uses good quality fabric and decent manufacturing quality. Any comments?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
J. Crew is what it is. The quality is about what I'd expect for a store of its type. I wouldn't pay retail for much of anything I've seen there, but some of the sales are quite good. I've liked some of their trousers and some of their accessories (knit ties, in particular), while I haven't been impressed at all by their blazers/suits. Their shirts tend to be cut too short for me, but I found some nice linen there not long ago.

You can find better quality versions of the same stuff J. Crew sells elsewhere, but usually it's accompanied by a corresponding price increase. For casual wear, it's not bad at all. And the stuff I've bought there has, over all, held up well enough.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I basically agree with what Doc said. If you like the fit of their stuff, it's certainly wearable. IMHO, better a shirt with ok-quality fabric that fits you well than a shirt with more expensive fabric that doesn't fit well.
I've had a few pairs of their chinos and shorts. All perfectly fine for casual wear, and from what I could tell well-constructed (that is, they certainly didn't fall apart after a few wearings.)

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
J Crew's cashmere sweaters are fairly good (LP yarn) and I have a blazer from them that I rather like. As far as the shirtings go, I have a couple shirts I got from them because I liked the pattern, and they are certainly not top notch in terms of quality but held up reasonably well.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same as others though my experience with J Crew is more limited given they are not in Canada. I do have a few things acquired in the US. My impression is much like Banana Republic, which is to avoid the tailored clothing at all costs but that the casual wear like chinos, polos, sweaters is fine if purchased on sale (it's not worth the full retail they ask for it). I avoid the dress shirts too but have seen some pretty decent fabrics so if you find one that fits well at a good price, it may be worth a shot.

MrRogers

Reaction score
J crew has a few items that are hard to beat. Their merino V-necks sweaters for 58$ are a steal and I have over a dozen of them in every color they have come out with in the past 2 yrs. I recently got their harris tweed vest and a few cardigan sweaters on sale.

Suits and sportcoats I'd stay away from and i'm also not a fan of their shirts and ties.

MrR

abc123

Reaction score
I like most of their offerings (suits/tailored clothes excepted), and I think that at its price point, its pretty hard to beat. The sales are especialy good, and most of everything does go on sale eventually. IMHO, its much better than Banana, Zara, etc.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
Their merino V-necks sweaters for 58$ are a steal and I have over a dozen of them in every color they have come out with in the past 2 yrs.

I'm wearing one today. They're great, and they make some unusual colors. But I tend to pay around $20, which isn't hard during their sales.

Alfa

Reaction score
I can't remember where I read it, but doesn't J. Crew source their materials from other high end mills, etc.? The aforementioned Loro Piano and I believe that Ralph Lauren designed some of their dress shirts a while back. I think there were a few other collaborations, but none of the specific names come to mind (Zegna?). I know they were/are trying to make a move further upscale.

Having said that, things never fit me properly there. As was previously stated, if you fit their stuff than why not? The ease of having a store that you can go into and buy directly off the rack is pretty terrific. Although I would probably rather spend the $45 on a Jantzen than a J. Crew.
tounge.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
J crew has a few items that are hard to beat. Their merino V-necks sweaters for 58$ are a steal and I have over a dozen of them in every color they have come out with in the past 2 yrs. I recently got their harris tweed vest and a few cardigan sweaters on sale.

Suits and sportcoats I'd stay away from and i'm also not a fan of their shirts and ties.

MrR

IMO their ties are pretty good, I have a few and they're pretty slick, especially in repp patterns.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
I like most of their offerings (suits/tailored clothes excepted), and I think that at its price point, its pretty hard to beat. The sales are especialy good, and most of everything does go on sale eventually. IMHO, its much better than Banana, Zara, etc.

J Crew is a totally different aesthetic than Zara, which is hyper trendy, while J Crew is more traditional (if not exactly Brooks Brothers)

Banana is a bit more trendy and has some more modern styling to its collections, quality is more or less the same IMO except some of the premium J Crew stuff like the LP collabarations are a bit better.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their sales are very good. Nine bucks, for a hundred dollar sweater? I've bought some terrific, hand knit sweaters from Crew . . . they're super warm, and practical. Paid no more than twenty dollars, on sale.

For everyday errand running, on sloppy days especially . . . some of Crew's outerwear, is good. I like their University Coat, with thinsulate: eighty bucks, on sale. It's very, very warm, and I don't care if it gets wrinkled or splashed on; for that price you can buy one every year.

Last year, just for fun . . . I bought their herringbone tweed coat, at final sale. 70 bucks, plus postage. Retail, 400 dollars. Compared to my Armani Black Label coats, it's like a little dishrag. Biggest complaint, is a stinginess, in the fit. Very, very stingy on the fabric. This of course, is a means to keep the price down. But again, for a hundred bucks, it's a fun little piece to own and wear when I take the bus, or the train, and don't want to soil a fine garment. And, it's warm.

seoulfully

Reaction score
what about the outerwear at jcrew?

jcrew 3/4 topcoat

i know this isn't a terribly unique coat (is anything at jcrew unique really?), but i really want something like this for fall/winter and i figured i might pick it up from the crew if it wasn't terrible wrt fit/quality.

also, it goes against my hoodie ideology, but i kind of want their 7 gauge cashmere hoodie

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I would tell you that personally, I would NEVER pay full price, at Crew. NOT EVER. That's just me, of course . . . at 51, I've become a tightwad, I suppose. But truly, you should wait for the sales. Regarding the coat, if you're between sizes, go up a size. If it's too large, you can have a tailor, do some alterations. Same with the hoodie . . . I'd wait for the sale, and go up a size, if not two. Crew's sweaters are running snug, this year.

seoulfully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
First, I would tell you that personally, I would NEVER pay full price, at Crew. NOT EVER. That's just me, of course . . . at 51, I've become a tightwad, I suppose. But truly, you should wait for the sales. Regarding the coat, if you're between sizes, go up a size. If it's too large, you can have a tailor, do some alterations. Same with the hoodie . . . I'd wait for the sale, and go up a size, if not two. Crew's sweaters are running snug, this year.

haha, oh yeah, i probably wouldn't (let's put it at 95%) buy retail at jcrew. unless i couldn't find a better substitute (though i don't think it'll be hard to find a 3/4 topcoat this season). and like everyone else, i'm all about the sales at jcrew for the sweaters and such. in fact i picked up 3-4 over the summer. but i do think (as mentioned above) the sweaters are a pretty good deal retail for what you get. even better deal on sale....

i just need to find a new coat for this season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads