• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew prices are laughable

mikejones

Reaction score
I used to buy lots of clothes from them back in the day; for me that was 1988 - 1993 when they were much more sensibly priced. Still have some of their stuff from back then, some of which was superbly made. That being said, looking at some of their items like this leather jacket which is comically priced at almost $800: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6041/96041.jsp and I wonder who on earth is pricing their product? You can get a CUSTOM-MADE leather jacket in front-quarter horsehide from Aero Leather clothing for that much money. Are they out of their minds?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bet they sell about 20x as many as aero, too.

i'm planning on ordering an aero this fall. had no idea they existed until a couple weeks ago and happened upon them on accident.

800 bones for a leather jacket is probably pretty reasonable for the many people who don't know about the smaller companies.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, I don't even think it looks that good.
plain.gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and I wonder who on earth is pricing their product?
Someone who knows what they're doing? I have no interest in ordering a custom leather jacket, I'd rather just go to a store to try one on and buy it there.

mikejones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Someone who knows what they're doing? I have no interest in ordering a custom leather jacket, I'd rather just go to a store to try one on and buy it there.
Hold on. You would rather walk in and buy an incredibly overpriced mall jacket rather than have what is arguably the finest leather jacket manufacturer on earth handmake a jacket for you, in FQHH, no less - made exactly your size and specifications? Wha?
confused.gif
I can understand if you were looking to pick something simple from the Crap for like $150, but for $800? Please tell me you're smarter than that.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, I'd rather go into a store to buy a leather jacket. I also buy RTW suits and shirts at the same prices that custom tailors charge for their goods - imagine that!

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikejones
I can understand if you were looking to pick something simple from the Crap for like $150, but for $800?

Ive kind of always thought J crew, Abercrombie, and the likes are far over priced for there goods considering 95% of it is dog **** goods. $800 is an outrage its probably made in pakistan for $50 , but like one poster said they probably do sell 20 times more than aero just because chicken heads will buy it.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J crew is trying to reposition itself as a luxury for less brand, for a few reasons...
the first is the flagging economy, and the second is to catch the abercrombie crowd as they grow up. Abercrombie and american eagle launched "adult" brands for the same reason, but jcrew has been the most successful so far in its attempt.

I don't see where the jcrew hate comes from, ever since its brand revival under the new ceo it seems like jcrew is heading in a good direction. Pants are decent, I'd cop the mac coat on sale, its one of the best places to get waistcoats and ties for cheap. The fabric is sourced pretty well, then again, even banana republic uses italian corduroy and gap has MoP buttons on some stuff this season, I think.

that said, the jacket is insane, the messenger back is ridiculous, and the brand collabos like the mackintosh coat and vintage rolex's don't really fit in, at least not yet. However, for the quality of the stuff, I'm fine paying 130 for their cardigans and their TM shirts are ok for the price if they fit.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In their men's store in Tribeca, they had a trench coat for $1,200. Get the **** out of here

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
Ive kind of always thought J crew, Abercrombie, and the likes are far over priced for there goods considering 95% of it is dog **** goods. $800 is an outrage its probably made in pakistan for $50 , but like one poster said they probably do sell 20 times more than aero just because chicken heads will buy it.

It's also easily accessible. When people think clothes, they think mall. And when people go to the mall they see... mall brands. Thus when people think "Hmm, where could I get a nice leather jacket?" they assume JCrew, mostly because they have little experience with else where. It's a shame, but it's not like you're going to buy it, so just wear your Aero and be happy with it.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the Mackintosh jackets have been selling well for them.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by London
In their men's store in Tribeca, they had a trench coat for $1,200. Get the **** out of here

J. Crew for the price of the real thing (Burberry)? Really?

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
they assume JCrew, mostly because they have little experience with else where. It's a shame, but it's not like you're going to buy it, so just wear your Aero and be happy with it.

Wouldnt buy an aero either Im a real cheap bastard I wouldnt pay a quarter to see Jesus walk down the street. Your point is on the money though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads