• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew or 346?

BruceWayne

Reaction score
I recently went to Prime Outlets Jeffersonville and had the option of either buying a navy "Legacy Blazer" from the J. Crew outlet store or a navy "346" blazer from the Brooks Brothers Factory Store. I purchased the latter. After reading some of the comments posted on here about "346", I'm beginning to regret my choice. I was told by the salespeople at the BB Factory Store that, if I needed to, I could return the blazer I bought there to my local BB retail store (a regular BB mall store) and get a store credit or refund. Should I do this? Did I choose wisely to get the 346 instead of the J. Crew Legacy? If I remember correctly, the J. Crew one was going for about $45-$50 less than the BB 346 one which cost me $150.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BruceWayne
I recently went to Prime Outlets Jeffersonville and had the option of either buying a navy "Legacy Blazer" from the J. Crew outlet store or a navy "346" blazer from the Brooks Brothers Factory Store. I purchased the latter. After reading some of the comments posted on here about "346", I'm beginning to regret my choice. I was told by the salespeople at the BB Factory Store that, if I needed to, I could return the blazer I bought there to my local BB retail store (a regular BB mall store) and get a store credit or refund. Should I do this? Did I choose wisely to get the 346 instead of the J. Crew Legacy? If I remember correctly, the J. Crew one was going for about $45-$50 less than the BB 346 one which cost me $150.

BB 346 is pretty bad, though $150 is cheap for a blazer. I've never seen J. Crew outlet blazers, but the mainline store ones are as bad or worse than 346. It seems odd to me that you could return the 346 item at a retail location, make sure to get a salesman's name from the outlet. Without specifying anything else (budget, size, location, time constraints) it's hard to recommend what you should do.

Reaction score
If you really don't feel good about it, take it back/buy the other. In my experience, you can usually return outlet items to regular retail stores no problem. Good luck.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Same situation as you. Sort-of.

Bought an 1818 suit at an outlet, unfortunately it was too small I later discovered. Ended up taking it back to a full retail store and exchanging it and getting credit towards another 1818 suit. (which were on sale then) Don't regret it one bit.

Yea 346 wouldn't be my first choice. Knew to stay away from them at the outlets, my goal was to score a gem.

BruceWayne

Reaction score
Here's a pic of me wearing the 346 blazer:

DSC00209.jpg

How do you think it fits?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that looks good on you, and appears to fit the way it should. By that I mean it is a conservative, somewhat boxy cut. Nothing wrong with that and you can always have it taken in if it feels too big in the body. As to your original question, I feel it is a matter of personal style. The J. Crew blazer is going to be more streamlined and slimmer with thinner lapels. I think the J Crew stuff is pretty well made, but I would say BB will last you longer and is more classic styling - if that is what you want.

smoothie

Reaction score
What J Crew Legacy blazer are you referring to

BruceWayne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smoothie
What J Crew Legacy blazer are you referring to
The 3 button (roll to 2 I think) with "Faux-horn" buttons (According to the J. Crew website. Is it ok that I directly quoted that or will I get in trouble for plagiarism?)

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I tried the J. Crew blazer you speak of. It fit me very well and construction didn't seem too shabby for the price. Definitely not a lifetime piece but if you're young and it looks good on you it wouldn't be a terrible purchase.

I would also like to add the fact that the it fit well and would not require any alterations (sleeves, waist suppression, length, etc) therefore keeping the overall cost low in my case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads