• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew New Balance 1400, Better Alternative?

playdohh22

Reaction score
i'm wondering if you feel these are worth the price. i know its brother shoe, the 574 or other running shoes by NB are not only very much alike, but are also at a much cheaper cost. could someone give me some review and feedback on the shoes? i'm trying to wear them casually with jeans. what would be my ideal sneakers? and i tried to do a thorough search, but had no luck with results.

WFU_guy

Reaction score
Check out a NB outlet if there is any near you. I found a similar model (can't recall the number) as the J. Crew ones, and Made in the USA too. I got them for $20.00 a pair. I actually bought four pairs and I am on my second one. My local NB outlet has had these in stock sporadically for the last 2-3 years, from $20-$50.00 bucks. The prices at the outlet are super cheap

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these in the dark grey color. I hate sneakers for the most part but wanted a pair that I thought were at least decent looking for quick runs to the grocery store, for coffee, etc. When it came down to it I really only liked these NB for J Crew. It seems every other pair of NB has mesh panels on it somewhere...great for running shoes but ugly in my opinion. I really like the J Crew ones because of their all suede construction. They are expensive, even for a US made shoe, but since I couldn't find anything else that met my needs I went with them and have been very happy with my purchase. I don't wear them often, but I really like having them for those times I do want them and I really do like the look of them (at least as far as sneakers go). They also have some great colors....love the green and wine colored ones.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the main difference will be in the sole. Cheaper NBs are made on EVA or partial EVA sole, which is lighter, softer, and cheaper. EVA looks like open cell foam, like a dense sponge. It also gets dirty easily. 574 has a full EVA sole plus a molded heel cup in PU (see below)

More expensive NBs are made with compression-molded EVA or PU polyeurethane. This material is usually denser and more durable, and you can see it is molded. NB uses a bunch of bullshit terms for this but it is all the same: Encap, Ccap, etc.

NB makes hundreds of models, and 70% of them look extremely similar. Look around.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go for the 1300's way better design than the 1400.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads