• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew must not be doing well at all...

KBW

Reaction score
I went into their store and it seemed everything was on clearance. I also received a 25% off card in the mail that worked on top of sales prices. I probably had $1K worth of clothes for $326.__. Cashmere cardigan, pair of jeans, 6 of their plain t-shirts (they are the best and are nice and slim), few v-neck sweaters, A shawl collar argyle sweater (in a really cool "outdoor" green/brown/tan), 2 pairs of khakis, and some other stuff. If anyone has a j-crew near them it is worth checking out. Also I think even if you don't have the card that if you know to ask about it and just claim you left yours at home that they'll give you the 25% off. They had their thin cashmere blend sweaters for 20 bucks.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
1. why did you start a new thread for this?
2. j crew isn't doing well, but that has really nothing to do with anything related to their mark downs
3. these mark downs are the same every season - thats why j crew is so popular on this board

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
They are probably doing better than any other mid-level retailer this season. What do you imagine their margins are for those items to be sold as such a discount?

They actually aren't, but that's more of a function of being a strangely placed retailer in a terrible market.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ if you have a student ID you can get another 10% off

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh my bad. i remember getting a $30 tshirt (WTF?) for $5 (much better)

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
+ if you have a student ID you can get another 10% off

is the student discount info located on their site anywhere?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuff_daddy
is the student discount info located on their site anywhere?

no, it is an unwritten law at jcrew tho. instore only i believe.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ A great example of when to answer with terms like "not that I can find" rather than trying to prove a negative.

KBW

Reaction score
damn showed the girl my college id so she could get my email off of it while I was talking to another girl working there that I knew. Of course she didn't give me the discount
frown.gif
Oh well I'm definitely not complaining after today's trip. The Belks I went into isn't going to carry LAB products for men anymore so I also got three different kinds of face wash, shaving cream, after shave, eye cream, night and normal lotion all for 75% off

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
They actually aren't, but that's more of a function of being a strangely placed retailer in a terrible market.

Why aren't they doing well? I read a lot of literature during the summer and fall months about J. Crew's expansion into men's only stores and how Drexler is editing their product offerings precisely so as to maximize margins. He was on the cover of Fortune and a lot of interesting things have been written about him; I would imagine that they could see slightly ahead and try to plan for this. Perhaps all of the discounts are to just keep cash coming in and avoid merchandise sitting and being shipped to outlets later?

What are you hearing? I'm curious to know.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Why aren't they doing well? I read a lot of literature during the summer and fall months about J. Crew's expansion into men's only stores and how Drexler is editing their product offerings precisely so as to maximize margins. He was on the cover of Fortune and a lot of interesting things have been written about him; I would imagine that they could see slightly ahead and try to plan for this. Perhaps all of the discounts are to just keep cash coming in and avoid merchandise sitting and being shipped to outlets later?

What are you hearing? I'm curious to know.

Their stock price has dropped a ridiculous amount in the past few months.

http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:JCG

The problem is that in times of recession people don't shop at the mid/high level inbetween stores - you either go to Saks and take advantage of their sale, or you go to Gap

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics