• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew must not be doing well at all...

surrender

Reaction score
I have one of their dress shirts (regular, not Mason) and two of their washed "favorite shirts," both XS. All of them fit great through the chest and waist, but the neck is far too small - who the hell has a 13.5" neck? If they were 14.5", they would fit perfectly. The fabric on the favorite shirts is a nice, thick oxford cloth, but the fabric on the dress shirt is thin and flimsy, even more-so than Zara and H&M shirts.

I'd probably buy more favorite shirts on substantial sale (i.e. less than the usual 39.50/49.50 sale prices), because although the neck size is awkward, it's not exactly a dealbreaker since I'd typically wear them unbuttoned. However, I wouldn't buy any more of their dress shirts - at retail, I can get a good MTM shirt, and at sale prices, I'd much rather buy a similar and better-fitting shirt from H&M.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a shawl collar wool sweater. I usually run between a L or XL, but I had to size down to a M to fit their sizing. They really need to adjust the fits.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Their stuff just fits boxy as hell. Really annoying...

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by surrender
who the hell has a 13.5" neck?

People who can fit into an XS shirt often do. For example: Me.

j.dee.m

Reaction score
Quick question. Do the j.crew stores stock clothing in their XS size or are they only available through their website?

Thanks in advance!

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick answer: No.

Slower answer: Some stores might occasionally get an XS somehow, but I have never witnessed it. In general, the XS can only be found on the site or through catalouge.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by London
I just bought a shawl collar wool sweater. I usually run between a L or XL, but I had to size down to a M to fit their sizing. They really need to adjust the fits.

It's the sweep, or the waist area measurements, that seem out of whack, especially in the sweaters. That's why I size down from an L to an S. Don't like my sweater hems swooping away from my pants waist.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by surrender
I have one of their dress shirts (regular, not Mason) and two of their washed "favorite shirts," both XS. All of them fit great through the chest and waist, but the neck is far too small - who the hell has a 13.5" neck? If they were 14.5", they would fit perfectly. The fabric on the favorite shirts is a nice, thick oxford cloth, but the fabric on the dress shirt is thin and flimsy, even more-so than Zara and H&M shirts.

I'd probably buy more favorite shirts on substantial sale (i.e. less than the usual 39.50/49.50 sale prices), because although the neck size is awkward, it's not exactly a dealbreaker since I'd typically wear them unbuttoned. However, I wouldn't buy any more of their dress shirts - at retail, I can get a good MTM shirt, and at sale prices, I'd much rather buy a similar and better-fitting shirt from H&M.

I have the same issue... I wear the XS shirts but my neck is actually more of a 15-15.5". I do like their button ups though.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yay went to the JCrew outlet and picked up a pair of Khakis and Corduroys for $38. Big time markdowns there on pretty much everything.

My JCrew sweaters fit fine at M and I'm usually a M (I would say I'm a traditional M at 40-41" chest and 33" waist). I probably have around 10 of them or so of varying materials and styles. I only have one JCrew button down and at M as well it was nice and slim at the waist...

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all the j crew pieces i have are xtra small and the neck has too much room for me. maybe you guys sizing down too much just kidding.

Reaction score
I think i'd also take an XS in american size so i probably have a 13.5 inch neck too ! lol.

I like alot of J CREWS stuff - i was just about to make an order then i realised they don't ship to UK !!!

Wheres the love for us across the POND !

If anyone on here can sort me out that would be greatly appreciated - likewise if anyone wanted anything from UK you can't get hold of i'd happily ship it out to you guys.

Clyde099

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anonymouz
Anyone have the measurements of the xs oxford shirts? Or the sherpa hoody?

You might want to size up on the sherpa hoodie.
Small sweaters and shirts fit me perfect at JCrew, but a small sherpa was really tight.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the XS isnt smaller around the chest its smaller around the waist?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads