• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew-Ludlow Wingtip Fit/Something of a Dress Shoe Neophyte

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Gents:

Hope Friday is going well.

I've never owned a wing tip, and when I stumbled across a pair of the Ludlows in size 12 for 50% off the already-discounted price while perusing the J.Crew site earlier this week. The reviews on jcrew.com for the Ludlow wingtip shoes generally advise that these run 1/2 size big, and as I am a 13D as per the Bannock device, I made like a sledgehammer on the check-out-now button: I'd roll the dice on the size as it was too good a deal to pass up. These were evidently a pop-back/return, as they only showed 1 pair available and only in size 12.

I have a size 13 Allen Edmonds Bostonian/monk style shoe and a 13 in a Bally's black/white spectator loafer as well as a 13 J.Crew/Kenton boot, but a size 12 in the 1,000-Miler boot and a 12 in Timberland Boot Company. Upon the arrival of the Ludlow last night I noted no "discomfort" per se, but they are definitely...snug. Again, while wearing them on carpeted areas around the house last night for @45 minutes yielded no pain, the word "comfortable" is not one I'd use to describe the experience. For those of you acquainted with dress shoes and/or the Ludlow marque, is this initially par for the course? If there is a such thing as 1/4 size too small, I'd say that's about where I'm at: My toes don't quite touch the front of the shoes, and the main area of concern is a slight snugger-than-optimal feeling across the top of the foot (where the laces are).

I've been reading conflicting advice on the internet for general dress shoe fitment: on the one hand I'm seeing that the shoes should be returned without a second thought if they don't fit like a glove the first instant right out of the box, but I'm also reading that the width--not length--will definitely stretch a little bit with wear and that leather dress shoes will conform to the foot after a break-in period. The latter would indicate that I may be ok with these.

As exchanging for a 13 is not an option anyhow, I would much rather have the greatly-discounted Ludlows than the $110 returned. That said, getting a great deal on shoes that may not be the perfect fit isn't such a great deal in the long run. Any/all advice appreciated. Thanks..

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a lot of text.

It sounds like this is a laced model of shoe, as opposed to a loader, Chelsea or monk where you have no to low flexibility as to how tightly you lace them.

Also, ensure you are wearing the socks you intend to wear with them - athletic socks are no bueno - thicker than the dress socks you will wear.

You feet are generally smaller in the morning, and get wider over the course of the day as you are on them. If they are tight at 7 am, that is a worse sign than at 7pm.

With what you have laid out, it sounds like the length is right, and you just need to break them in.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents:

Hope Friday is going well.

I've never owned a wing tip, and when I stumbled across a pair of the Ludlows in size 12 for 50% off the already-discounted price while perusing the J.Crew site earlier this week. The reviews on jcrew.com for the Ludlow wingtip shoes generally advise that these run 1/2 size big, and as I am a 13D as per the Bannock device, I made like a sledgehammer on the check-out-now button: I'd roll the dice on the size as it was too good a deal to pass up. These were evidently a pop-back/return, as they only showed 1 pair available and only in size 12.

I have a size 13 Allen Edmonds Bostonian/monk style shoe and a 13 in a Bally's black/white spectator loafer as well as a 13 J.Crew/Kenton boot, but a size 12 in the 1,000-Miler boot and a 12 in Timberland Boot Company. Upon the arrival of the Ludlow last night I noted no "discomfort" per se, but they are definitely...snug. Again, while wearing them on carpeted areas around the house last night for @45 minutes yielded no pain, the word "comfortable" is not one I'd use to describe the experience. For those of you acquainted with dress shoes and/or the Ludlow marque, is this initially par for the course? If there is a such thing as 1/4 size too small, I'd say that's about where I'm at: My toes don't quite touch the front of the shoes, and the main area of concern is a slight snugger-than-optimal feeling across the top of the foot (where the laces are).

I've been reading conflicting advice on the internet for general dress shoe fitment: on the one hand I'm seeing that the shoes should be returned without a second thought if they don't fit like a glove the first instant right out of the box, but I'm also reading that the width--not length--will definitely stretch a little bit with wear and that leather dress shoes will conform to the foot after a break-in period. The latter would indicate that I may be ok with these.

As exchanging for a 13 is not an option anyhow, I would much rather have the greatly-discounted Ludlows than the $110 returned. That said, getting a great deal on shoes that may not be the perfect fit isn't such a great deal in the long run. Any/all advice appreciated. Thanks..
What a good deal you found on those. I have a pair of the Ludlow wingtips and I absolutely love them. Mine didn't take any breaking in, because they fit just right when I bought them. Yours are too tight, but if they're only tight across the top, you can break them in bit by bit. Enjoy those Ludlows; it looks as though J. Crew is discontinuing them, so they're even more special and rare. I bet you look good in yours.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Hi Jay--

It's been quite a few years since Saskatchewan has seen my shadow. Hope all is well.

Where did you hear that J.Crew is discontinuing these...? I figured they were just done until the fall season; was hoping to pick up a pair of the toe cap/brogue style as well. That's too bad.

Incidentally, do you have any idea if my wingtips and the brogues are made on the same last...?

Thanks!

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Jay--

It's been quite a few years since Saskatchewan has seen my shadow. Hope all is well.

Where did you hear that J.Crew is discontinuing these...? I figured they were just done until the fall season; was hoping to pick up a pair of the toe cap/brogue style as well. That's too bad.

Incidentally, do you have any idea if my wingtips and the brogues are made on the same last...?

Thanks!
Hey McBragg,

Saskatchewan is what it is—redneck and electing rightwing governments that have is leading the nation in child poverty and AIDS and racism. I live here but get out as often as I can.

There are fewer and fewer Ludlow shoes on the site (I only see two models left), they’re all marked down, and there’s no longer a “Ludlow” category on the menu at the top of the men’s shoes page. I’m certain they’re on the way out.

All the Ludlow shoes are built the same and fit the same. Their Kenton ones seem to be totally different. And unfortunately not as nice.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Thanks again, Jay--

Remember that it can always be worse--imagine if you had OUR guy for your PM.

Now I'm depressed...

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you follow up on the comfort of these? How do they fit? Was the sizing correct?

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Hello Bl@ster--

I'd forgotten about this thread...

I did end up buying two pairs of the Ludlow (one was a long-wing, and the other an AE Strand copy) in size 13. They fit true to size, but I discovered Allen Edmonds right around that time, @summer 2018. I found dabondo1 on eBay who has an exclusive deal with AE, whereby he purchases 3- or 4-wear store returns and then sells them on eBay for 1//4 the original price. (There were also some tremendous holiday sales on AE recently: I picked up a brand new, first-quality $395 AE MacNeil for $160.)

If it tells you anything, I flipped my 2 pairs of Ludlows before I wore them, and I think I even took a loss on one pair. The Ludlow is a decent shoe, but there is a sizable chasm in terms of quality between Allen Edmonds and the J.Crew Ludlow.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently researched the Ludlow line and I think they are a great value, especially on sale. Very similar in build to Grant Stone's, excellent stuff. I recently picked up some used penny loafers on eBay and found them to fit too small compared to Grant Stone, which means they are probably true-to-size. You can find several used Ludlow wingtips on eBay right now.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm mainly looking for sizing info. Some people are saying the Ludlow's run small. Is that correct?

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
I would say they run true to size; at least that was my experience from trying on the two pairs that I flipped. I’m a 13D on the Brannock, and the 13 in Ludlow were ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads