J Crew Ludlow Shoes...Alden make?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Subutai, Nov 28, 2013.

1. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

Yep, a standard AE price point these days is $345. Typical construction is leather lining, leather insole, calf upper, and leather sole. I picked up two pair of AE-made Ralph Lauren shoes (Sanderson longwing and a single-monk), for $250 and $200 respectively, from DSW of all places... J Crew seems to be making a habit of sourcing products from India and China, then selling them at US-maker prices. More power to them if they get the buyers, I guess...

2. Organika

Organika Senior member

Agreed. I suppose $500 is a exaggeration as Alden calf is around $450 range. But, I do not see a lack of materials/components or craftsmanship in this Ludlow shoe. Either way I would imagine if it is built well, it will do okay, otherwise it won't sell for long.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. cybersemo

cybersemo New Member

If you read the product description carefully, you'll see that the manufacturer location is "import". J Crew ships materials (e.g. Harris tweed fabric to India) for many of their products.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  4. Spex

Spex Senior member

The copy on the J Crew site reads "a lining from Milwaukee, Wisconsin". I suspect maybe an Allen Edmonds made over seas.

If it was Alden, they would have advertised that like they did with their past Alden made shoes. Why wouldn't they?

If the were US made AEs they would state "Made in the US" for sure....

5. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

So has anyone actually got one. I am tempted to try the cigar

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Organika above posted some pics and gave an initial positive review. I was about to get the cigar ptb as well but ended up getting up getting lucky with TSM's irregulars

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

meh

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  8. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I say his post but his color is not currently Ava so I didn't know if it was I fact the same. Unless I am confused which one is the Alden

9. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

I can picture the hipters and wanna be hipsters checking these Ludlow shoes out saying, "wow - they're only $300! I've gotta get me a pair or two'"

I think it's a masterstroke of marketing - 4-5 years of "in good company" marketing of Alden, followed by a blatant ripoff of the Alden shoes they've been selling. These are gonna sell - and they aren't discounted along with everything else on the site at the moment... They are trying to elevate these shoes to Alden status from a branding standpoint.

I'll stick with my Alden Modified Last

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  10. GYW Gilmore

GYW Gilmore Member

JCrew Ludlow Shoe is comprised of premium components only. The upper is true Veg calf that will wear and perform for years. Upper is not Shell! It is calf, Cigar color. Very small hides with tight fiber. The Ludlow shoe interior is comprised of prime top grain leather insole and lining material with true cold cork filler carefully applied. The last was developed over 2 years with many fit trials and numerous adjustments. You will find the fit and wear performance extraordinary.
    Enjoy!

11. GYW Gilmore

GYW Gilmore Member

What shoe do you have in the Alden modified last?
    thank you

12. GYW Gilmore

GYW Gilmore Member

No. Not Allen Edmond. Ludlows are made oversea BUT all components are from same vendors as $500 shoes. Non compromising. Fact remains if you want to make the best shoes out of premium components there are few choices in component vendors.... JCrew decided not to lessen quality in components and have shoes bench made by fine shoe artisans outside usa.

13. GYW Gilmore

GYW Gilmore Member

MEH
    Good components are costly. Hide market forever increasing. Transporting materials worldwide costly.

14. GYW Gilmore

GYW Gilmore Member

15. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

GYW Gilmore,

I appreciate the info as I'm still on the fence about these and considering picking up a pair....but you've resurrected this thread and are now lighting it up as a one man show! Can I ask after your background? How deep is your product knowledge? Are you involved with the production or marketing of the Ludlow line?