1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Fall/Winter 2012

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Therendition, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

But what other store comes close to having J. Crew prices at the Fairview? The Fairview Mall seems to cater more towards a younger clientèle, and I just can't see people lining up at the cash registers like they might at the Eaton Centre. If Harry Rosen can have a hard time getting customers at the Fairview, I don't imagine J.Crew would do that much better.

As for J.Crew itself, I hope some of these pieces will find themselves at Winners. About a year or two ago I saw some Ludlow suits on sale for about $250.

2. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I haven't checked out J.Crew's Eaton Centre location yet, I will in few weeks when I have a breakfast meeting downtown Toronto. Just want point out, the reason why there is a price spread between what you see on the store shelves and the website is courtesy the Canadian Federal Government's 18% in tariffs on clothing and shoes. As for Alden not being present in the Canadian stores, my guess J.Crew is not allowed to sell the brand outside the USA which sucks.

This Op-Ed piece sums the situation up quite nicely why there's a price spread at J. Crew Canada vs. their website:

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/10/02/terence-corcoran-at-25-time-for-change/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. Robert

Robert Senior member

The $300 price tag on the peacoat is hard to handle. Glad I got mine for $45 at the clearance store. I don't know how the clearance store does it, but I have found a few great deals there.

4. sk317

sk317 Senior member

5. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

6. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I went to a store and tried on the Ludlow herringbone sportcoat...

The coat seemed to feature lower than 'normal' button stance, and top-of-pocket-to-hem appeared to be quiet short, almost like the jacket has been shorten from a longer jacket

7. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

I understand why there is a price difference. I understand that there are policies in place to discourage big US companies from infiltrating the canadian market. Having said that, it's bullshit. And most people won't stand for it.

There are too many alternatives to getting the significantly better priced merchandise for the USD rates, especially when there are significant sales AND merchandise that we do not get in Canada.

That article is a good read and makes the point that these policies are hurting canadians in order to line the pockets of big gov't. Consumers, especially in border cities like toronto (well 1.5 hours from border) are too savvy to support such policies. There are too many options to avoid getting financially raped.

Having said all that, J.Crew is going to have to find a solution to compete with Club Monaco and The Gap and whatever other mall brands its competing with to offer a product that is attractive to the canadian buyer. Their In Good Company brands are scarcely offered, so its all mall brand line stuff anyway. I expect many flash sales to come.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nazareth

Nazareth Senior member

I found an old J. Crew pinpoint oxford shirt in my closet the other day, probably about two years old. I like the shirt a lot but it doesn't really fit. Do they ever bring this style back during some point of the year?

9. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

They've been using a newer model of oxford shirt, probably changed factories or raw materials providers overseas.

However, they have greatly been improving the cut of their shirts!

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

jesus christ, the sales selection online is awful.

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Almost always is

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

true, but usually when they have a sale coupon they add some full priced shit that they've discounted $5 or $10 to the final sale lineup. this time, bubkus.

13. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

I got an e-mail from them yesterday saying their website would be unavailable today as they get a "very stylish makeover." I thought it'd be the new collection, but seeing as how the site is still up and running I'm guessing this isn't going to happen anymore.

14. RustyRyan

RustyRyan Senior member

I bought them in both colors in my regular size during the recent sale, I like them, the fit could be a tad trimmer, but they're better than most donegal sweaters you will find out there. It might be possible to size down to get a trimmer fit.

15. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Shit, my store has stuff on the rack that I got like 6-8 months ago....

16. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

great points here. Do you guys think they will survive with such high prices for a mall brand? I think they probably will, I mean Club Monaco has been around for a while and their prices are around the same on certain items..

17. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

To pile on this a little bit, it's super obnoxious to us to ship to Canada. Between labeling laws (we have to add French to all our labels) and the roughly 20% price bump we will have to add to all our products, it's driving me insane at work.

18. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

J. Crew's website is so bad. Look how they "light" this RW boot. This is some photography 101 bullshit on how not to light a product. Jeez.

[​IMG]

19. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

For all the poor sods in Toronto, J Crew outlet opened its door starting yesterday at Vaughan Mills.

20. Robert

Robert Senior member

Just keep in mind that J. Crew outlet is not the same as regular J. Crew retail. It's a "factory" store, i.e., items are made specifically for the outlet store, and basically are poorly made knockoffs of the regular merchandise.