J. Crew Fall/Winter 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rdstour, Aug 18, 2011.

1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I'm kind of in between a small and medium for J. Crew and I got a medium in a sweater and I think it is the best size for me... I do put it in the dryer so account for that.

Good but not great deal when you can get it comfortably under $100.

2. tehdvd

tehdvd Well-Known Member

does anyone know how the ludlow sportcoats fit? are they slim?

3. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

The only ludlow sport coat I bought was their herringbone linen one. It fit well everywhere except the arms seemed a bit baggy so I just had them fixed at the tailor.

4. adambz

adambz Active Member

When do you guys think the next percent-off sale will be? I'd like to buy the chambray, but I don't want to pay full price.

5. slide13

slide13 Senior member

wow, those Chippewa boots are great looking...impressive.

As for having a J Crew thread...I think it's good. They do some ok basics and great colab stuff. I picked up a fair amount of their stuff in my early days, and while I've moved on from it I still check out what they have on occasion, mostly for the colab stuff though.

6. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

J Crew has a bunch of nice knit ties right now. All way too narrow. :(

7. Howard Roark

Howard Roark Well-Known Member

I'm curious because mall stores like J.Crew are all I go to right now, I haven't been at this for very long. What have you moved on too, and what difference in price and quality do you see?

As for the next J.Crew sale, I asked my friend that works there and he responded "after Christmas." J.Crew ostensibly wants a high end clothing reputation and does so by quality (debatable), price, and not having sale signs plastered everywhere every other week. They remind me of Nordstrom because of this.

8. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Look around here and check out the shops that everyone talks about (online of course since you can't visit them all personally obviously). My personal favorite is Context because they are local and I am able to go in there and check stuff out. I buy most of my clothes from them these days. Also check out Epaulet, Self Edge, Union Made, Inventory, Drinkwaters, and lots more you can learn about here.

As far as what I've moved onto, well, lots of different stuff. Brands in my closet now include: Gitman Vintage, Engineered Garments, Epaulet, RRL, Sunny Sports, Sugar Cane, Iron Heart, KMW, W+H, APC, Somet, and Dry Bones. I have a couple J Crew shirts left that get some wear occasionally, and a fatigue jacket that I actually like surprisingly well and wear often. In general they are more expensive but have higher quality materials and construction as well as more unique styles and fits in some cases.

I think you can look decent dressed by J Crew, but you'll look like lots of other guys who wear the same stuff. You'll also be settling for shirts of decent but unremarkable quality. If all you care about is looking decent, then don't worry about it. I think J Crew makes that easy for the average guy who doesn't really care much beyond that. Chances are however, since you're here, you care about more than just looking decent. You have an interest in clothes and probably in the quality, design, fit and fabrics of them. If that is the case do yourself a favor and explore what all is out there. There is a lot.

9. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Compared to other SW&D brands, I would say the quality of J Crew shirts, pants,... are hard to beat.

10. JosiahS

JosiahS Senior member

Chippewa boots look awesome and at under $200, seems like a good deal. Anyone know how they fit compared to clarks dbs? i'm a 10 in dbs.

11. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

should be the same.

12. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

This. Their collaborations are often excellent. Mind you, they so seem to have got more expensive and I tend to pick up any basics I need in their online sales and clear-outs.

The thing is too that for those worried about looking a J-Crew clone, or like 'lots of other guys', just mix it up with some more unusual stuff. I loved their coral Stanton pants this summer, but I wouldn't wear them with anything else J-Crew. And in any case, pink is a colour most Canadian guys seem to fear to wear, whereas I love a bit of pink in the mix so I am not in much danger of looking like everyone else up here.

13. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

LL Bean has them under the name Katahdin Iron Works Boots. It looks like they have a lug sole this season, but I have a pair from about five years ago that looks a lot like the JCrew ones except with a cap toe. They have EE sizing and mine have no external branding (LL Bean label inside tongue). Chippewa also has their own website. They don't sell directly, but you can find a retailer close to you or it will take you to on line options like Zappos.

14. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

15. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011