• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew Fall/Winter 2011 Discussion

Howard Roark

Reaction score
I just bought the university coat. It's a slim small, and I'm 6"1 170-175. It's pretty meh, but it fits well and it has thinsulate.

Last edited:

StotheMC

Reaction score
It looks like it's billowing out because my arm is raised taking the picture. I'll try to take one with my arms at my sides - it does fit better than that picture shows. I took it to provide an idea of the length

dave333

Reaction score
I picked up the bayswater peacoat with 25% off+15% student discount.

It's pretty awesome; heavy, warm, and has thinsulate. should hold up on most cold days in VT. i'll post some pics later.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dave33 did the same... i really like the bayswater peacoat as well

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thoughts on Jcrew cotton/cashmere blend sweaters? i found an outdated thread, but don't feel like resurrecting it.

vneck sweater is cotton/cashmere blend 90/10?

sweater cotton/wool blend (not sure the ratio)

both sweaters were bought 1.5 years ago? they shrink but stretch back easily. some pilling on the cotton/cashmere blend (you can pick it off when you're setting at work in the office). but it is not the pilling that stays on your clothes. more like tiny fabric that just falls off. and it seems to be coming from the underside of the sweater. may just be lint. the particular one i am wearing is "marled" so it may just be the contrasting fabric that pills. probably could have been avoided by hand washing instead of machine

i got them on sale during december. $20-30 I believe. not sure if i would buy again.

quality is okay, quite thin. whenever I wear it over a shirt it stretches out nicely, but because it is so thin i think i may rip it.

still no holes yet anywhere and they have been stored most of the time folded up in a bin. been through the washer/dryer a few as well as mentioned, both of them.

i like the 100% merino wool type sweaters fwiw, but i suggest sizing down 1. the blends you can stick with your normal size due to shrink/stretch.

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gettoasty: If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I always thought you were a college kid. But from your pictures, I'm thinking you're around my age, mid to late 20s.

McCurry

Reaction score

gettoasty: If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I always thought you were a college kid. But from your pictures, I'm thinking you're around my age, mid to late 20s.

seriously? you're going to try to guess an asian's age?

Juliane

Reaction score
I like merino and I like J.Crew sweaters. Can't go wrong with them, no matter how old they are:)

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

both sweaters were bought 1.5 years ago? they shrink but stretch back easily. some pilling on the cotton/cashmere blend (you can pick it off when you're setting at work in the office). but it is not the pilling that stays on your clothes. more like tiny fabric that just falls off. and it seems to be coming from the underside of the sweater. may just be lint. the particular one i am wearing is "marled" so it may just be the contrasting fabric that pills. probably could have been avoided by hand washing instead of machine
i got them on sale during december. $20-30 I believe. not sure if i would buy again.
quality is okay, quite thin. whenever I wear it over a shirt it stretches out nicely, but because it is so thin i think i may rip it.
still no holes yet anywhere and they have been stored most of the time folded up in a bin. been through the washer/dryer a few as well as mentioned, both of them.
i like the 100% merino wool type sweaters fwiw, but i suggest sizing down 1. the blends you can stick with your normal size due to shrink/stretch.

the second one looks better because of the wool's "stretchiness"

dave333

Reaction score
No I was in NY. The men's shop in Soho wouldn't do it even though a floor guy said they would, but then i went to another and told them that the men's store would've and so they let me stack lol.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score

I own a couple of the cotton cashmere sweaters, I believe it is 95/5. Yes, they are super thin and stretchy, probably would not buy again...

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cotton/wool blend is 80/20 ratio. feels nicer than the cotton/cashmere (mine is 90/10 blend)

wore the cotton/wool blend again today with a vneck underneath. fits nice and slim

thinking about buying some more sweaters at the factory online store w/ free shipping currently.

StotheMC

Reaction score
Take two... Besides possibly shortening them slightly, I don't think I'd want to slim the sleeves down, so as to accommodate sweaters/layers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads