Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

J. Crew Fall/Winter 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rdstour, Aug 18, 2011.

1. wispa

wispa Member

Hey guys! Here's a follow up to my last post. I just got my J. Crew Chippewa boots in today and the fit and style are great. One thing that stood out is a fault in the stitching. It's on the right inside of the left boot. Ideally I'd like it to look the way it's supposed to be, but I can accept a small flaw here and there. Returning these would probably result in me waiting until December to get a new pair. (see edit)

If this were a functional fault I'd send it back without question but since it's cosmetic issue I'm leaning towards keeping them. A mistake like this on a dressy boot or shoe would be a big problem for me. On these, since they're a casual work boot style I'm a bit more relaxed than usual about it. What would you do if these were yours?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit - I answered my own question. Just for the heck of it I checked the availability of these and they're still in stock. I've got an exchange on the way.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

2. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

Can you add the student discount on top of that 25%?

3. slide13

slide13 Senior member

really liking the look of the leather on these Chippewas, better than the LL Bean Katadhin which I've had before. Ordered a pair yesterday, hoping they fit right when they show up.

4. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Senior member

just got my pair, here are some pics...great boot for the price

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

5. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Senior member

6. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Looking good. Mine shipped today, I'm excited to check them out in person. I'm really happy to see such a nicely style and designed boot, made in the US, of what looks like a nice smooth leather (the LL Bean is great, and cheaper, but the leather isn't quite as nice as this one in my opinion) for such a good price. I have a couple pair of White's and a pair of Alden cordos but for Wisconsin winters I just want a comfortable and good looking boot that is reasonably priced so I don't feel bad subjecting it to the salt and snow all season long. These should fit the bill nicely.

7. Howard Roark

Howard Roark Well-Known Member

I sized down quite a bit on my pair. My normal sneaker size is 11 and I bought a pair of 9.5 and 10 Chippewas. I'm keeping the 9.5's. They are tight but the length is okay and I'm anticipating some stretch. Also, I don't wear thick socks.

As for the laces, I would suggest going to a shoe repair store, that's where I bought mine. Buy at least 55", but I think 63" is ideal.

8. Howard Roark

I have narrow feet, though, so I think sizing down one full size would work the best for most. I'm certain that they are not TTS.

Back to laces- the ones I have seem to match the boot too much. I might try black laces like Red Wing GT's for more contrast, but what I would really like is a pair of laces identical to the Wolverine 1000 mile. Do they have that color and texture because they are waxed? And where the hell can I find some like that?

Oh, and 55" laces are what you want because you'll pull more through as the boot breaks in.

9. akevg

akevg New Member

Can you tell me about the inner lining? Is it leather throughout? Some of the Chippewas have kind of a sock or fabric lining. I chatted with JCrew and they said leather but I wanted to double check before ordering.

10. Howard Roark

The toe box is lined, otherwise it's all leather.

11. sazon

sazon Senior member

hit the j. crew men's shop in Paramus today. they routinely get items 1-2 months before other stores.

they had some really sharp plaids in oxford cloth. great feeling....very soft. a nice change to their usual plaids.

was hoping to see a full Wallace & Barnes product line, but not much there.

I didn't see any Aldens there, which they used to carry.

other than that, i was a bit disappointed. expected more interesting pieces for this late in the fall release schedule, heading into the holidays.

12. rufiorufiorufio

rufiorufiorufio Senior member

PICS???

13. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Got my Chippewa boots in just now and have to say, I'm pretty impressed. The leather is thick and very similar to Chromexcel....so similar I was actually wondering if it was for a while (I'm still not 100% sure but I don't think it is....but boy is it close). These are definitely a little different than the LL Bean Katahdin boots as far as leather goes and they also don't come with the padded insole that those have (these have a small heel insert sole similar to Alden or Red Wing). Great looking boot, wonderful sole, and really solid construction all around on my pair. Fit is big, at least 1/2 size or so. I went with 11 1/2 which is what I wear in an Indy boot and these have plenty of room....almost wonder if I could have gone with an 11 but I think I'll stick with these.

14. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I disagree. In the past footwear made in the UK, Germany and Italy stood for top quality. Every one now makes footwear in China (to save on labor costs) and its just not the same - I mean even if its the same label. When I buy foreign import footwear, I pay for what I expect is top quality.

15. poena

poena Senior member

any way to get those boots for a discount? I may order just to see them in person.
    i've also been flip flopping back and forth again on getting the alden indy boots...ugh...not enough money for all this stuff i want

and sorry i haven't gotten back with pics of the peacoat. i will get to it tonight. it's been a busy weekend.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011