1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thenanyu, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I find the quality of JCrew is in line with the pricing. I really have never had any problems with any clothes from them. The fit is decent enough for me. A Large-Tall fits my arms and is an ok fit in the body. Certainly would be easy enough to get the sides taken in a little if I wanted to.

My biggest issue with the brand is they have horrible shipping rates and hardly ever give out additional discount codes. Say what you will about Gap, but they have coupon codes every other week and reasonable shipping charges.

EDIT: I do feel the current offerings are getting a little bland. I wish JC would mix things up a little.

2. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

Anyone have the slim University Coat? And pics? Just wondering if it's still as boxy now that there's a slim cut.
    excuse the lighting... the fit is a big improvement over the standard version. this is a size S and it fits really well IF you're layering. with just an undershirtshirt and a BD though there is about an inch or two too much extra room at the chest keeping it from being a perfect fit imo. you probably cant see it from a straight on view. overall i really like it though. minimalist design and construction appears pretty durable. i am somewhat inclined to try out an XS and just return whichever one doesn't fit better overall, because i normally don't layer too heavily and i have a feeling an XS might work. but i definitely plan on keeping it once I compare fits. i normally wear XS in their shirting for reference. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. k9n

k9n Senior member

how do the J. Crew shawl collar cardigans fit? I have some of their henley's in Large, and was going to order a L online, but wondering if there is a sizing difference on the cardigans.

4. lordofthefart

lordofthefart Active Member

Are there any good coupons for purchasing online right now?

5. chrisf

chrisf Member

Thanks for the heads up guys

6. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

I slept on the utility jacket they had on sale, even through the "30% off sale prices" they had a little while ago and now it's gone. Now I need a decent fall jacket and the pickings for olive utility/M65-ish jackets ranges from slim to shitty.

Damn.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

If anyone is heading to Jcrew soon do me a favor and see if there's any of the Levi selvedge denim on uber sale in size 33 waist and 32 or 34 length. I will love you forever, cover shipping charges, and give you a bit extra. Thanks.

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

I slept on the utility jacket they had on sale, even through the "30% off sale prices" they had a little while ago and now it's gone. Now I need a decent fall jacket and the pickings for olive utility/M65-ish jackets ranges from slim to shitty.

Damn.

There are plenty of other options. Look around a little.

9. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

There are plenty of other options. Look around a little.

I have, but none catch my eye (at a similar price point).

10. Robert

Robert Senior member

Here's a question that may get us off the "is there a sale/does the fit suck/those freaking shipping costs/when will they open a store in canada" train.

So my girlfriend went through my closet the other day at my request. I asked her to identify stuff she didn't like on me and that I should give to Goodwill or whatever. She pulled out several J. Crew gingham shirts and even some of the tartan/plaid secret washes. I was a little taken aback because some of these things are my favorite shirts.

She identified as some of her favorites those lightweight utility shirts J. Crew put out last spring, mostly in white, black, and some tans. When we go out she often asks me to wear one of those.

SO what do you think? She says the ginghams remind her of picnic tableclothes and look "too country." Is she right?

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

12. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

excuse the lighting... the fit is a big improvement over the standard version. this is a size S and it fits really well IF you're layering. with just an undershirtshirt and a BD though there is about an inch or two too much extra room at the chest keeping it from being a perfect fit imo. you probably cant see it from a straight on view. overall i really like it though. minimalist design and construction appears pretty durable. i am somewhat inclined to try out an XS and just return whichever one doesn't fit better overall, because i normally don't layer too heavily and i have a feeling an XS might work. but i definitely plan on keeping it once I compare fits. i normally wear XS in their shirting for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the pics. I just went to go try it on but ended up grabbing the peacoat in charcoal instead.

Ill post pics just cause I want to see how you guys think it fits on me.

Here's a question that may get us off the "is there a sale/does the fit suck/those freaking shipping costs/when will they open a store in canada" train.

So my girlfriend went through my closet the other day at my request. I asked her to identify stuff she didn't like on me and that I should give to Goodwill or whatever. She pulled out several J. Crew gingham shirts and even some of the tartan/plaid secret washes. I was a little taken aback because some of these things are my favorite shirts.

She identified as some of her favorites those lightweight utility shirts J. Crew put out last spring, mostly in white, black, and some tans. When we go out she often asks me to wear one of those.

SO what do you think? She says the ginghams remind her of picnic tableclothes and look "too country." Is she right?

Absolutely not.

I could see some of the plaid shirts I have (not just J. Crew) being ugly and a little too old looking for me. I'm not sure how the gingham can be ugly though?

13. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

SO what do you think? She says the gingham's remind her of picnic tableclothes and look "too country." Is she right?

To me it's the size of the checks of gingham's and how they're worn. I think they look best under a sweater, or just any form of layering. I also much prefer small checks versus large. Large create a sloppy look whereas smaller checks in my opinion create a sharper look that is more versatile and easier to pair with other clothing.

Example, small gingham checks like this one from Norse (I own this, and undoubtedly girlfriend approved):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Example, large gingham checks, like this one from Rogues Gallery (I also own this, and not girlfriend approved. When I go out without her, she encourages me to wear this shirt to ensure I don't draw the attention of other females).

[​IMG]

14. tcolberg

tcolberg Well-Known Member

I also need a fall jacket besides my Harrington. Think I'm going to see if I can convince my local store will match the website's sale on the Corduroy SC.

Edit: To get in on the gingham conversation, I have a J.Crew shirt with medium gingham check in english grape. My GF says it makes me look a bit like Dorothy, but still likes the shirt [​IMG] .

15. Robert

Robert Senior member

I'm learning that some things guys find interesting to wear (like gingham shirts) are not generally very girlfriend approved. Though she does enthusiastically support my wearing of the Converse, so that's a point in her favor.

Bottom line, if I wish to stay on her, er, good side, I need to stay out of gingham, no matter how much I may like it.

16. eczerwonka

eczerwonka Senior member

When we go out she often asks me to wear one of those.

I don't think I would ever let my wife decide what I should wear let alone let her pick what I should be culling from my wardrobe. Sounds like you both have different tastes so obviously letting her pick is a bad idea. I don't think there is a right or wrong here, but does she let you pick what clothes she should donate?

17. Robert

Robert Senior member

I don't think I would ever let my wife decide what I should wear let alone let her pick what I should be culling from my wardrobe. Sounds like you both have different tastes so obviously letting her pick is a bad idea. I don't think there is a right or wrong here, but does she let you pick what clothes she should donate?

No, no, no. She doesn't "dictate" what I wear. She asks very nicely, very sweetly and softly, as in, "I think you're really sexy in that one black shirt you wore that one time when, you know... . Please wear that shirt again for me tonight, baby?"

I can hardly refuse. You know?

And I get to make similar requests. She has some killer dresses and shoes that she looks adorable in. And I put in my requests when it's appropriate.

And we actually have very similar tastes. Her closet has a lot of stuff from the women's side of J. Crew. And she compliments me on almost everything else I wear. How do you get that we have dissimilar tastes just because she doesn't like my gingham shirts?

And yes, she asked me after she picked out those shirts if there was anything in her closet I didn't like. I told her she looks cute in everything, so, no, there wasn't.

18. sazon

sazon Senior member

Dudes: gotta put an immediate stop to letting the girlfriend tell you what to wear.

Cuz once you get married, its gonna snowball from there, and believe you me, you're at least going to want to be able to be putting on clothes that you like while you spend your days doing things you really don't want to do.

19. eczerwonka

eczerwonka Senior member

How do you get that we have dissimilar tastes just because she doesn't like my gingham shirts?

She doesn't like them while you said they were your some of your favorites? Bad guessing I suppose, but you asked and you also made it a point to mention the fact that she asks if you would wear certain clothes. I've been married 5 years and together for 10 and she's never asked if I would wear something specific so it just sounded very wrong to me. No big deal and it's great you guys do have similar tastes.

20. Robert

Robert Senior member

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Another is that you can appreciate your girlfriend's or wife's opinion and still make up your own mind. My gf isn't "telling me what to wear or not to wear," just simply stating her preferences.