• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus
Can anyone explain to me why J Crew's Khaki looks green under certain lights?

They're made with concentrated evil.

steve2318

Reaction score
I tried on the oilcloth jacket in the store last night...I am 6'1" and 190 lbs, athletic build and the small was a bit too tight in the shoulder especially with multiple layers...However, I thought the medium was a tad billowy around the midsection but it would probably be good with layering in the cold weather. Just wanted to provide another point of view on sizing since I am a bit bigger then the other people that posted. I think alot of J crew stuff is just personal preference on how you like your clothes to fit.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
That's crazy, you're 6'1" and trying on a small?

I am 6'2", 200 and the oilcloth large fits me great. It has some extra room in it for a sweater but overall I love it. A jacket isn't supposed to fit you like a tailored suit.

Ippo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by steve2318
I tried on the oilcloth jacket in the store last night...I am 6'1" and 190 lbs, athletic build and the small was a bit too tight in the shoulder especially with multiple layers...However, I thought the medium was a tad billowy around the midsection but it would probably be good with layering in the cold weather. Just wanted to provide another point of view on sizing since I am a bit bigger then the other people that posted. I think alot of J crew stuff is just personal preference on how you like your clothes to fit.

Originally Posted by sockpuppets
That's crazy, you're 6'1" and trying on a small?

I am 6'2", 200 and the oilcloth large fits me great. It has some extra room in it for a sweater but overall I love it. A jacket isn't supposed to fit you like a tailored suit.

Thanks for the additional inputs. I will probably give it a try and purchase it, and return it if it doesn't fit me well.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steve2318
6'1" 190 and you're trying to wear a small? I hope you die.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
6'1" 190 and you're trying to wear a small?

I hope you die.

lol8[1].gif

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm 6'2", 170ish, and a J. Crew small fits me ok, if not a little baggy around the waist. Their stuff is usually pretty generously cut.

mhpragematter

Reaction score
6'2" 195 and a medium from here can be a good fit but in some cuts its not long enough...and all my heights from my waist down. You guys must have crazy long legs and tiny torsos

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 6'1" and 185lbs and I wear a small in their button downs, 38's in their suits and small/medium in their outerwear.

Guus

Reaction score
I was browsing through the Oct. 2009 catalog and I hope JC brings back of those shirt patterns and colors.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
FWIW, I'm 6'2", 170ish, and a J. Crew small fits me ok, if not a little baggy around the waist. Their stuff is usually pretty generously cut.
Wow, i'm 6'6" and the lowest my weight has ever been was just under 190. Maybe I have more muscle mass then you, but a tailored fit Large-Tall from J.Crew fit me nicely enough. I can't imagine trying to squeeze into a small.

BlueWord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk

Yeah, this makes sense. I'm 6'1, and hover around 140-145 lbs, and a J. Crew small has been (historically - someone mentioned they slimmed them down this season?) very big on me. An X-Small fits better, but is too short in the arms and trunk.

nycfan

Reaction score
i'm like 6-1 and 175, the medium button down from jcrew is too short in the arms and tight in the shoulders. i can't imagine how someone 6-2 180+ can even fit in anything smaller than a medium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads