1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thenanyu, Apr 7, 2010.

1. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

I may be in the market for a proxy to send me some stuff next time there is a sale (or better yet, someone with a discount to J Crew). It'll be for button-downs/shirts (not looking to get anything ridiculous like outerwear or shoes sent my way).

Anyone? Just looking for a few button downs and a chambray.

*cough* J Crew employee *cough*

2. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

20% coupon claimed last night within one hour. thanks for the interest

3. ahe

ahe Senior member

Anyone get anything cool from the final sale?

4. Guus

Guus Senior member

5. dsoren

dsoren Senior member

6. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Sears rumored to buy J.Crew

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...er-j-crew.html

Should we be worried?

I hope this means Frank will leave and start his own line with slimmer fits and better fabrics.

ah oh

7. URALLMORONS

URALLMORONS Senior member

I hope this means Frank will leave and start his own line with slimmer fits and better fabrics.

He has no real design skills, he just finds brands he likes and collaborates with them. Not a real design more of a cut and copier. One reason why he didnt last too long at Polo.

8. tomashi

tomashi Well-Known Member

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I'm not sure that fabric selection is a big issue. I've always felt it's construction. Seems like they source top-line fabrics and then have clothes made in China with little quality control. Not trying to bash them (guess it sounds like it), but compare a J Crew piece made in China with a Ralph Lauren piece made in China. J Crew's quality control could stand to be taken up a notch.

Slimmer fits, you have a good point.

He has no real design skills, he just finds brands he likes and collaborates with them. Not a real design more of a cut and copier. One reason why he didnt last too long at Polo.

Didn't he get a $1 million bonus from Mickey one year? I guess cut and paste works, even though I agree with you.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Sears rumored to buy J.Crew

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...er-j-crew.html

Should we be worried?

Nah. They didn't meddle with Lands End at all. They carried it in their stores, which might have given the impression of devaluing the brand, but they had zero impact on LE operations. LE even launched Canvas while being owned by Sears.

11. URALLMORONS

URALLMORONS Senior member

I'm not sure that fabric selection is a big issue. I've always felt it's construction. Seems like they source top-line fabrics and then have clothes made in China with little quality control. Not trying to bash them (guess it sounds like it), but compare a J Crew piece made in China with a Ralph Lauren piece made in China. J Crew's quality control could stand to be taken up a notch.

Slimmer fits, you have a good point.

Didn't he get a $1 million bonus from Mickey one year? I guess cut and paste works, even though I agree with you.

No Jenna Lyons did and thats why she is now the VP of JCrew. She is the boss of Frank....haha. Im sorry but he just doesnt make anything dope anymore(for a little while he was on a decent roll.) I am waiting to see him start biting off of EG and WWM more. I know it's coming. I mean he did it to Mr. Freedom and even had MF making clothes for them and then relabeling it as their own.

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

No Jenna Lyons did and thats why she is now the VP of JCrew. She is the boss of Frank....haha. Im sorry but he just doesnt make anything dope anymore(for a little while he was on a decent roll.) I am waiting to see him start biting off of EG and WWM more. I know it's coming. I mean he did it to Mr. Freedom and even had MF making clothes for them and then relabeling it as their own.

It seems like he hasn't really done anything new in a long time. Seems like everything is just updating the same styles in slightly different fabrics or colors.

As for Jenna Lyons - all the women I know think highly of J Crew. So she must be doing something right.

13. CityofAngles

CityofAngles Well-Known Member

can anyone help me out?

I bought 3 j crew causal button down shirts- they say tailored fit.

I bought M as S was too tight. The M is a bit roomy all over so i either want to get it taken in a bit or can i wash it and make it shrink? that would be great.

14. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

God my Indy's finally shipped today!

15. AEB A4

AEB A4 Well-Known Member

can anyone help me out?

I bought 3 j crew causal button down shirts- they say tailored fit.

I bought M as S was too tight. The M is a bit roomy all over so i either want to get it taken in a bit or can i wash it and make it shrink? that would be great.

Shrink them then have them darted. If its too big everywhere then return it.

16. CityofAngles

CityofAngles Well-Known Member

Shrink them then have them darted. If its too big everywhere then return it.

whats the best technique to shrink? cold or hot water?

17. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

whats the best technique to shrink? cold or hot water?

Hot.

18. dsoren

dsoren Senior member

Agreed. My biggest problem is a lack of consistency in the way the clothes fit and wear.

It seems like he hasn't really done anything new in a long time. Seems like everything is just updating the same styles in slightly different fabrics or colors.

I think he is confined by the brand. He is a pretty dope designer. I think that some of the looks he puts together are killer. He has also been the force behind the curation of the NYC men's shops, which I think he is doing a great job at.

Plus, he has killer taste. See here: http://mistercrew.com/blog/2010/01/2...-in-free-easy/

19. corsairjuly

corsairjuly Well-Known Member

The girlfriend goes to jcrew every week, every now and then I find some good stuffs on sales. When I picked up that marled cardigan, I thought it was for women since the cut is really small/slim. The fit is nice, I'll post a fit soon. Bought it cause it reminds of the NDG shetland, which I also have [​IMG]
    Nice. Really interested to see a fit pic of the cardigan, mellowfellow. [​IMG]

20. Cheese1

Cheese1 Senior member

How long does j crew's final sale go on for? Is it a year round thing, or just to clear winter merch?