• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

URALLMORONS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
They seem too wide in the shoulders. I haven't seen them in person but from the measurements, 18.5" shoulders on a 38" is 1/2" too wide. If you look at the pictures on the site or in the catalog, the shoulders are noticeably too wide on most of the models. If the shoulders were slightly more narrow, I would take a chance on one.

No sir you just have narrow shoulders is all.

The standard in non tailored suits is what they go by and it's on the money. 90% of men are too wide in the shoulders and 10% are too narrow in the shoulders. You just happen to be a frail one.

If you want to avoid that go get a suit altered or get a fully custom suit and then compare the prices.

URALLMORONS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi
I'm not that into their suits, but I kinda want to buy a navy blazer. As I need a size 38 short, it's extremely difficult to hunt a navy blazer down in B&S or ebay. Naturally, Jcrew should be my best bet.
Do their blazers go on sale eventually, like suits?

Edit-Meh, I should've bought that polo blazer during F&F.

Only the but ugly ones end up on sale I would say. I work in the men's department in the only store that keeps suiting in IL and i have never seen them go on sale.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suits aren't "a joke." Could they be better? Sure. Just realize that you're buying nothing more than a mid-range OTR made-in-China piece.

But even at list price -- $600 -- you get good fabric and a nice 21st century fit. Spend $100 on alterations and you're good to go.

(Disclaimers: I have the Ludlow w/Loro Piano in Navy. I shopped around a bit here in NYC but couldn't find anything with an overall slimmer fit for the price. Also, I'm not an MC geek so I'm sure a lot of the finer points of suit construction have been left out).

the_state

Reaction score
What's the deal with all the sales on being online? **** man.

I have a 22hour flight coming up next weekend so I bought a pair of those heathered jersey sweatpants. They're pretty awesome.

FYI - J Crew pocket t's suck ass. Way too slim, fabric is garbation. Any reco's if a need a few in a pinch?

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Spending $700 on a suit from J. Crew... no thank you

I'm not saying that you can't find better for less, especially via sales. Only that they aren't "crap" or "a joke."

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by URALLMORONS
Only the but ugly ones end up on sale I would say. I work in the men's department in the only store that keeps suiting in IL and i have never seen them go on sale.
The michigan ave. store? I might have met you.
So when will be the good time to buy a navy blazer?

URALLMORONS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi
The michigan ave. store? I might have met you.
So when will be the good time to buy a navy blazer?

Yes and no real better deal then either the 20% off or the student discount thats the only deal you really are going to find unless we randomly offer 30% off between TG and Xmas but most of the time when we DO run those sales it excludes suits.

Our suits never go on sale. It's hard enough to keep in stock let alone them going on sale. Only ones that do end up on any sale are the Aldridge boxy suit in some ugly fabric pattern.

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by URALLMORONS
No sir you just have narrow shoulders is all.

The standard in non tailored suits is what they go by and it's on the money. 90% of men are too wide in the shoulders and 10% are too narrow in the shoulders. You just happen to be a frail one.

If you want to avoid that go get a suit altered or get a fully custom suit and then compare the prices.

Disagree. These suits are marketed as "slim" - 18.5 in the shoulders is very large if you're looking for a slim suit.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 40R ludlow jacket sitting next to me. Shoulders are 18". What the **** are you talking about?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the first pair of gloves, should be in on Monday. So I recommend the first one. Wouldn't pay that much extra just for button that I don't care about.

ichobi

Reaction score
What's the consensus on Field mechanic's jacket? Does look great and the price isn't bad.

images_onFigure_29_29518_29518_BR6555_m_tif_79ce0b3d01df185e.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads