1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Fall/Winter 08 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by constant struggle, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Robert

Robert Senior member

Yeah, I tend to like a more tactile shopping experience than I can get online. Plus I'm a little impulsive. When I see something I like in a store, I feel I have to get it then and there or it will go away. I've had that happen more than once.

2. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

My gf who is still in college came with me and they gave the discount to me. I was almost impulsive but I came home, researched, went back the next day and saved some $ after finding out about the student discount [​IMG]
    Is there any way I could get that discount without actuallly being a student? Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to get these things at more bargain-like prices online, eBay and such?

3. djh

djh Senior member

Yeah, if you look like you're college-aged they'll give you the discount if you just ask for it, even if you don't have ID.

4. SwedishFish

SwedishFish Senior member

Sorry for being ignorant, but does the student discount only work in stores? I've graduated and look much younger than my age, but I couldn't easily convey that a call center person or their website...

5. genraidar

genraidar Member

Being new here I decided to check out J Crew myself. It had a very small expensive section of men's clothing (nothing on sale in the store). About 85% of the store was women's clothing.

There is another one a few miles from here, I will go check it out and report back.

(In Birmingham AL)

I rather liked some of the clothing, but they had a much smaller selection than the website and nothing was on sale.

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

You call on the phone and get the student discount

7. mcs5280

mcs5280 Well-Known Member

I went and checked out the J. Crew Outlet near me. I got a pair of pants and a shirt for $40, which is pretty dang good (I ended up getting about 50% off the regular prices). They let me use the student discount at the outlet too, which is awesome. [​IMG]

I almost picked up one of those sherpa lined hoodies. I kind of want to get a faded black one, but they only had a couple of the other colors. When I saw the hoody online I didn't like it, but now that I've tried it on its actually really, really nice. Unfortunately, I am terrible at picking colors. What do you guys think of this one...? The color is dark wood.
    [​IMG]

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

I own that hoodie (and I only had to settle for a discount in store, boo), and love it. Great for bumming around the house in during cold days or running errands.

9. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Stopped by Jah today, and walked out empty handed. The chambray shirt with the chinstrap tempted me, but "Made in China" kept my wallet pocketed. Officer Trouser was not in-store. The Red Wings looked just plain wrong on a lug sole. I was entirely let down. I would definitely go out of my way to see the Liquor Store, but I don't think the garments live up to the catalog.

10. robin

robin Senior member

No love for the lug soles? You broke my heart. [​IMG] Sales can't come soon enough. I need like 4 pairs of the 5 pocket vintage cords in different colors, plus those flannel lined camp pants. ;_; Edit: I wonder if they'll have new stuff up on the site this week for November.

11. denimdestroyedmylife

I have the camp pants and the officer trousers sitting in my cart.
    I think I've got Red Wing backlash. (As an aside, I was handing GTs at a shoe store, and I just can't get behind them. They seem so rough-shod, and not in a charming way.) If it isn't on a crepe sole, there's nothing to distinguish RW from any other workboot out there.

Everything at JC costs too much for Made In China shlock. I like the aesthetic but it lacks in execution; if it were at 50% retail, then maybe I could get behind it.

Ugh. It is torture. If I got real drunk, I could do real damage in a JC store, but I'd really regret it in the morning.

12. robin

robin Senior member

You should see the lug soles on these in person, they're for serious stomping only.

[​IMG]

13. JO3B

JO3B Senior member

i found the most interesting peices at the liquor store to be the things you can get 'anywhere', ie the records, books, watches and straps, aldens.

14. robin

robin Senior member

Do they have any special Alden makeups there, or just some of the stock models?

15. denimdestroyedmylife

i found the most interesting peices at the liquor store to be the things you can get 'anywhere', ie the records, books, watches and straps, aldens.
    I'd just like to see all those things in one place; outside of my own place, I mean. For bringing back to my place.

16. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

do they have a thick shawl neck cardigan on sale? I didn't see it at the store by me

17. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

jah children jah children jah children

18. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

19. Meis

Meis Senior member

What items are much slimmer than they previously were? I just tried on a size small shirt from the sales rack last week and it was as baggy around the torso as their shirts have always been.

20. daft

daft Senior member