• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have worked retail in J.Crew, what exactly is their dress code policy? I always see the guys there all dressed pretty similarly in BDs, vests, jeans...basically a look I don't really like or have the pieces to emulate. If I wanted to work there, would I have to buy this sort of stuff or would anything J. Crew or J. Crew-esque work?

youalreadyknow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
For those of you who have worked retail in J.Crew, what exactly is their dress code policy? I always see the guys there all dressed pretty similarly in BDs, vests, jeans...basically a look I don't really like or have the pieces to emulate. If I wanted to work there, would I have to buy this sort of stuff or would anything J. Crew or J. Crew-esque work?

I'm sure you have to emulate the J Crew style to work there. I've been to at least 5 J Crew stores and at all of the them the people where clothing that fits the image. Not to say that you need to wear actual J Crew clothing, but it has to look like you are.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in a J Crew store and other customers have come up to me on more than one occasion and, thinking that I was a SA, asked whether or not they have so and so item in size or something. I wasn't wearing any J Crew items...

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
I've been in a J Crew store and other customers have come up to me on more than one occasion and, thinking that I was a SA, asked whether or not they have so and so item in size or something. I wasn't wearing any J Crew items...
Were you wearing a vest and tie and folding shirts? This has never happened to me in a J. Crew but anytime I wander into any store wearing a tie I inevitably get mistaken for a manager and have to field customer questions and complaints. Sometimes, if I'm bored, I'll play along. I happen to be a manager for a retail chain, so maybe I give off some sort of manager pheromone.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, wassup with the vest? Every time I stop by my local J.crew, all the guys are wearing vest lol.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Just want to say that I'm really comfy right now in my J Crew patchwork madras shorts. It was one of those impulse purchases - thinking I would probably end up return them because they look goofy. However they are so friggin' light and soft, and right now it's so ******* hot with fires everywhere so this has been my everyday go-to piece around the house.

I'm also getting tons of use from my Sperry Chuka's and the more I kick them in the sand and dirt the better they look.

Broken-in pocket jersey polos: gets tons of use (I have all the colors.) They are not high fashion stuff but I need to wear things that are easily replaceable because accidental or not my dogs destroy everything in sight. Besides that I love the look, fit and soft material.

Irish Setters: been using them for landscaping the house and these babies are the real deal. I could put my foot under the lawn mower and the boots would win. They are getting beat up but I just found them too big and clunky for "Streetwear."

So what are the favorite pieces you wear almost everyday?

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
Yeah, wassup with the vest? Every time I stop by my local J.crew, all the guys are wearing vest lol.
Yeah, that look sucks and definitely wouldn't shell out to emulate. I think I've got enough J.Crew to be passable though and will try to throw in some EG/WWM/45r. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

float

Reaction score
has the jcrew provided measurements been unreliable for anyone else? i only own a couple secret wash button downs currently. before ordering i emailed for measurements. don't remember if they messed up the other measurements but for chest they gave me 42" on the small, 45" on the medium. the small i ordered came too small. don't remember what i measured personally, around 18.5 or so pit to pit. ordered the medium which fit more the way i liked, pit to pit still only coming in a little under 20"

are their ways of measuring chest different from standard pit to pit? a couple inches off is kind of crucial. i'm interested in a few more expensive pieces right now and don't want to **** around this time.

also if my measurements seem more off than jcrew's, that'd be helpful too. maybe i'm doing it wrong.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wished Jcrew would have my size in stock more often as they are either all gone or I am wait listed.
frown.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, that look sucks and definitely wouldn't shell out to emulate. I think I've got enough J.Crew to be passable though and will try to throw in some EG/WWM/45r.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Are you talking about an actual vest or a vest sweater, i.e., the v-neck no sleeves sweater? I think the sweater vest over a l/s bd is fine. Not sure I'd ever do it with a tie, though.

From a retail mgt point of view, it only makes sense that you want your SAs outfitted in J. Crew. You don't want your customers asking an SA where what they can find in the store what the SA is wearing and that SA replying that they got their stuff at Banana Republic or Gap or wherever.

When I worked at Eddie Bauer, we were required to wear at least one item that was in season whenever we were on the floor, and the rest of our outfit had to at least closely resemble something else that was currently in season. Mgt also gave us an extra discount on top of our employee discount for a certain amount of in-season items that we'd wear on the floor.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Broken-in pocket jersey polos: gets tons of use (I have all the colors.) They are not high fashion stuff but I need to wear things that are easily replaceable because accidental or not my dogs destroy everything in sight. Besides that I love the look, fit and soft material.

So what are the favorite pieces you wear almost everyday?

First, ditto the broken in polos. I don't wear them daily b/c I don't think they're appropriate for the office, but I wear them a lot outside of work. They're good looking enough that I can wear them to almost anything casual, including restaurant dining (paired with the right khakis or trousers). They're also great just for hanging out b/c they're so comfortable, especially in warm weather. They're definitely one of my favorite pieces for summer, and I'm glad I bought a good rotation of them.

Other favorite pieces I do wear almost every day:

My officers chinos. Probably more comfortable even than broken-in jeans, to me. Very versatile, i.e, appropriate as office wear or casual. Look great with desert boots as well as Jack Purcells. Great with button-down long sleeve shirts. I probably wear them to the office 4 out of 5 days of the week.

My desert boots. (Clarks, so not really a J. Crew item, but just like the Mccallisters.) Almost every work day and almost every off-hour, too, including weekends. I have 4 pairs in different colors. I probably get the most wear from the wolf suede because they pair up most easily. Next would be the chocolate suede followed by the sand suede. I wear my grey suede only occasionally.

A secret wash or lightweight longsleeve button down.

And last but not least -- my olive drab utility jacket. I've worn it almost daily since I got it back in May. It's light enough to wear when I go to work in the morning, which is always a little cool here. And I drag it along if I'm going somewhere the a/c might be a little too chilly, e.g., grocery stores, restaurants, or wherever. It's also been great for when I travel by plane. Absolutely my favorite light jacket. I imagine I'll get even more use out of it in early fall, before I switch over to my heavier J. Crew fatigue jacket.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Evidently.

I get asked by all the street people for change. Do I look like my pockets are bulging with cash?!

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Other favorite pieces I do wear almost every day:

My officers chinos. Probably more comfortable even than broken-in jeans, to me. Very versatile, i.e, appropriate as office wear or casual. Look great with desert boots as well as Jack Purcells. Great with button-down long sleeve shirts. I probably wear them to the office 4 out of 5 days of the week.

+1
I absolutely love these pants (was wearing them in my last WAYWT) and have them in 3 colors, they are unbelievably comfortable, a great casual Friday option or relaxing at night/on the weekend. They are better than jeans and look great, plus they're capable of being beaten to hell and still look good.

Some of the secret wash or madras shirts are great too, I have a few madras shirts from J Crew that are amazingly soft, if it was appropriate I'd wear it everyday, could even wear it to bed.

I'm also a fan of their ties and have a number of them, they aren't the best, but for $15-20 on sale, you can't beat their repp or knit ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads