J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Teger, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Robert

Robert Senior member

If anyone is in the NY/NJ area, I would recommend checking out the Men's shop in the Garden State Mall in Paramus.

They were unloading so much stuff yesterday. The store was chock full.

Picked up a new British Millerain jacket in Black that I don't see on the website. I think the inside says Langham jacket.
    $198 but it seems well constructed and I was quite happy with my oiled BM fieldcoat from last year so I gave this a shot.

Yeah, I tried that on and almost got it instead of the fatigue jacket. The millerain is nice.

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

Fantastic look, EdenResident. Where is that cardi from?

3. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

4. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Senior member

Regarding the vintage cargo pants there's a saying that "The last person who got laid wearing cargo pants was in the 'Nam." That's pretty much true because it's hard to pull off for stylish streetwear. Personally I dig stuff like that as long as it doesn't look too douchy because I have two big dogs that like to slobber on everything - especially on our twice daily excursions and those pockets come in handy. Of course it would also be a good weekend kick-around pant around the house or gardening.

Although I don't know why they always have to put two cargo pockets on the legs and make them so glaringly big? Best cargo pant I own has only one pocket (on the left leg.) If it's not being used you barely know it's there so from a distance it looks kinda like a chino pant - and not GI Joe coming at you with bulging pillow legs.

Shawl collar anything? Never, ever seen anyone wear them where I live on the west coast - even old men. They slightly appeal to me looking at the J Crew site, but I just wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Anyone buy the military mockneck wool cardigan last year? How does the neck hold up? I thought someone said it flops around not staying in place but maybe that was something else. Was going to buy one last year but poof they were gone right before Christmas.

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

robin is such a hater, goddamn.

6. Robert

Robert Senior member

VD, I would think that would be one thing that might bug me about the military cardigan. It looks a bit floppy, unlike the cotton-ribbed sweater/jacket which is similar-looking.

7. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

Fantastic look, EdenResident. Where is that cardi from?

It's by Adam. I bought it here. (Gilt had this for a lot cheaper, though.)
    http://www.bluefly.com/ADAM-brown-wo...501/detail.fly

It had to be tailored as it was pretty baggy.

8. robin

robin Senior member

robin is such a hater, goddamn.
    Maybe I would change my tune if J.Crew payed me to run ads and shill for them.

9. EdenResident

would look better without the hat
    My hair is a little too modern for that look but maybe you're right. The cap is by JCrew and is one of my favorites.

It'd look better with trousers instead of jeans.
    I agree. I just don't have pants that'd go well with that yet.

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

well why dont you set up a blog

11. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Senior member

VD, I would think that would be one thing that might bug me about the military cardigan. It looks a bit floppy, unlike the cotton-ribbed sweater/jacket which is similar-looking.

Hmm, that's a tough call. Do you want the pockets on the upper half or lower half? I like the look of the military slightly better but just don't want to be stuck with a wobbly mock. If you see it in the store check it out for me would ya? There's only a womens store in my town.

12. Robert

Robert Senior member

Will do. I have that cotton-ribbed s/j by the way, and I think it's great. Got it last winter.

13. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

i'm not saying the hat is bad

just that everything is too much and looks like it's from a still from an old movie (unless you are going for that sort of thing)

there's a difference between looking great and looking like a character (although it does look good)

14. bye4now122

bye4now122 Senior member

Looks like it's catalog/web site only.
    Yeah, balls

Well, I went into my store today. They had no idea JCrew just added new styles, and as I'm talking to one of them about it I get the email on my iPhone and show them. They haven't heard anything and haven't gotten any new shipments.

15. EdenResident

i'm not saying the hat is bad

just that everything is too much and looks like it's from a still from an old movie (unless you are going for that sort of thing)

there's a difference between looking great and looking like a character (although it does look good)

I see what you're saying. It does look a little too "try-hard" and costumey.