• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

hydrogen

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the color for what I wear with it. It's more of a bone-white or a cream.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Picked up 2 tartan Secret Wishes, the scholar and the webster (espresso & azalea, respectively, for colors on the tag). These are classics.

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dswang
II'm especially wary of the "bisque" color of the chinos, but we'll see.

"Bisque" is pretty much plain white. I have a pair of J Crew lightweight chinos in that color.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
I'm especially wary of the "bisque" color of the chinos, but we'll see.

I love their bisque color - I feel too "Miami Vice" when I wear bright white pants. The bisque is a nice off white which I think looks good with anything you'd wear with white.

Someone asked about the Irish Setters which I have. I like them - sort of. The left boot fits like a glove while the right still has a little heel slippage. I've tried thick socks, heel inserts, gel inserts and nothing has worked. Funny thing is if I size down the left boot will be too tight and the right still has heel slippage. I'd recommend buying in store. I did that with the classic rugged and it took 7 pairs to find just the right fit. The leather on the Irish Setters look great after wear.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Was at the Grove in LA over the weekend and some new fall stuff was there. I saw the 4 flannels on the right in the photo below.

The green/brown colored one looked more faded in person and had shiny black buttons which I didn't think looked good (especially with the brown color.)

The blue one just looked too patriotic - red, white and blue. Good 4th of July wear I suppose
blush.gif

The red and black was different than last year - the red being more bright and saturated. Some might like it but I didn't. I preferred last years warm red which made me want to heat up some hot chocolate and cozy up with a Steinbeck novel.

Finally the grey, white and red just looked too bland. Unfortunately they didn't have the black & gold which is my favorite in the pic. I thought the one on the right would be a cop as well but overall the selection was a FAIL in my book.

They had the fatigue jacket in my size this time, nice fit. It was tempting but I decided not to buy it (have too many similiar type jackets right now.) On the way to the car I saw some Euro dude with one slung over his shoulder. I thought about saying "Robert, is that you?"

Next to the fatigue jacket they had a new olive drab workshirt which was pretty nice. I didn't buy it either because I have an old Eddie Bauer one from several years back which is better.

6a00d8341c974f53ef011571fe914e970b-450wi

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
On the way to the car I saw some Euro dude with one slung over his shoulder. I thought about saying "Robert, is that you?"

Next to the fatigue jacket they had a new olive drab workshirt which was pretty nice. I didn't buy it either because I have an old Eddie Baur one from several years back which is better.

6a00d8341c974f53ef011571fe914e970b-450wi

Euro dude! Ha ha! Is that the impression I give?

I saw the flannels tonight too and the salesman was all over me trying to get me to pick one up. They did absolutely nothing for me.

I was kind of impressed by a fleece jacket I saw there with kind of an early Beatle-esque vibe to it. But it was 98 bucks. (Btw, when I got home, I searched for this one on the J. Crew site and could not turn it up. Must be in-store only. If I hadn't blown 200 on the fatigue already, I might have picked this up. It really is nice.)

Also tried on some resin-finish dark wash vintage slim jeans. They were very decent.

Other than that, a lot of basics that seemed decent but not necessarily a lot of fun. I'm buying only "fun" from now on.

Oh, yeah, and the store now has the Timex in. I've changed my tune on this--I thought a Timex was a Timex, but this watch is very nicely done. Some time if I had nothing else I wanted to buy, I might drop the coin for this.

hydrogen

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I went in this weekend and tried on both J.Crew's fall denim (the vintage slim and 484 resin crinkle slim) and the Gap's new denim line (straight and authentic fits) and went home with a pair of straight fit from the Gap. I haven't owned a pair of Gap denim in at least 10 years so I was surprised. I was anticipating favoring J.Crew's denim but the fit wasn't right for me.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow. I think I've gotta go check out the Gap denim I keep hearing so much about.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. It may not be as white as I thought.
I think cause of the lighting, the shorts that hydrogen is wearing looks light khaki. Bisque is really pretty much a plain white though. I've seen them on the sale rack at my local j.crew and tried to like them but I don't think I can get the color to work for me.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Was at the Grove in LA over the weekend and some new fall stuff was there. I saw the 4 flannels on the right in the photo below.

The green/brown colored one looked more faded in person and had shiny black buttons which I didn't think looked good (especially with the brown color.)

The blue one just looked too patriotic - red, white and blue. Good 4th of July wear I suppose
blush.gif

The red and black was different than last year - the red being more bright and saturated. Some might like it but I didn't. I preferred last years warm red which made me want to heat up some hot chocolate and cozy up with a Steinbeck novel.

Finally the grey, white and red just looked too bland. Unfortunately they didn't have the black & gold which is my favorite in the pic. I thought the one on the right would be a cop as well but overall the selection was a FAIL in my book.

They had the fatigue jacket in my size this time, nice fit. It was tempting but I decided not to buy it (have too many similiar type jackets right now.) On the way to the car I saw some Euro dude with one slung over his shoulder. I thought about saying "Robert, is that you?"

Next to the fatigue jacket they had a new olive drab workshirt which was pretty nice. I didn't buy it either because I have an old Eddie Bauer one from several years back which is better.

Were any of those flannels a brushed cotton? I saw the light grey/red/white at the store a few weeks ago and didn't like how stiff they were.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know if they were brushed cotton but they were certainly soft.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Were any of those flannels a brushed cotton? I saw the light grey/red/white at the store a few weeks ago and didn't like how stiff they were.

No, they didn't seem stiff - they were about the same as last year. Although they didn't have the cute Buffalo on the tag (I think the red/black one did though which is strange.)

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Also if someone is looking for the navy blue & white small check secret wash shirt (which was touted heavily in their spring catalog) the Grove has a bunch of mediums. Last I checked they were sold out online because I was looking for a large on sale.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
VD, pls tell me I don't seem like a Euro dude... .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics