• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bye4now122
Wow that is ******* ridiculous IMO. I'm very disappointed, considering sending a lengthy email asking for an explanation.

Not sure if I can blame them. Say you bought a pair of Redwings last week and you've worn it around a few times. Then you hear there's a 20% discount so you say **** I'll clean the boots up, return them and buy them again and save $50. Unless they appear untouched, J Crew now has to sell the boots for a loss at their outlet store. I've returned shoes before at J Crew and all they do is verify there is two shoes in the box, they don't inspect them vigorously to see if or how much they've been used. But somewhere along the way someone determines if they go back on retail shelves or the outlet.

J Crew is simply defending themselves from customers that play the system. Sears used to have a liberal return policy and they never even looked over items returned. I knew a guy that used to buy kitchen appliances such as blenders & toasters, take the item out and return the box filled with rocks and Sears would always give him a refund. I also know a guy who buys Nordstrom clothes, wears the hell out of them, re-attaches the tag and returns them a year later for a refund so retailers have responded by tightening up their policies or making collabs temporarily disappear.

Now suppose you just bought a secret wash shirt for $65, you'll save $13 at 20% off, but now you have to pay $10.50 for shipping. It's not worth the hassle to return.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Some cheapo pickups today, including coupla henleys at 19 each and a chambray.

The henley is sort of the winter version of the polo, a basic that J. Crew does promiscuously and then starts filling the clearance shelves with halfway thru the season. Like the polos this summer, I'm seeing some of the basic colors going to clearance now. So in a few weeks, I'll probably see just about all the rest go to 19.99.

I've found a new appreciation for the henley, btw. I found a new way to wear them. I use them to layer over a shirt, like a sweater. Seems to work especially well over my tartan shirts.

eusticity

Reaction score
Can't the "hidden" items still be "found" if you use the search function or know the item #?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eusticity
Can't the "hidden" items still be "found" if you use the search function or know the item #?
Have you tried it?

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Here's pics of the Fatigue Jacket as seen in the new Verizon Wireless commercial. Could also be the lambswool V-Neck sweater but I don't see that colorway online...

4005760843_ee1a1048bd_o.jpg

4006525174_1a5736afec_o.jpg

4006525252_4e866d95b0_o.jpg

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Funny! I saw the j. crew utility jacket on some commercial the other day. Wish I could remember what it was.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Had Columbus Day off, so I bummed around town a little in my field jacket and flannel shirt. Felt good to feel "well-dressed" while also "bohemian" enough not to stand out. Passed a nice hour incognito in brew pub where the attire is definitely "down."

Lendo

Reaction score
got the langham xs in the mail today...too small. i guess i wasn't made to have the jacket.

eusticity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Have you tried it?

Uhm. Apparently when one types in "Mister Freedom", for example, the items come up but if you click on say, the workshirt or the denim peacoat, it takes you back to the main page. Yikes.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
< $20. (!!) On the clearance rack.
005-5.jpg

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I've found a new appreciation for the henley, btw. I found a new way to wear them. I use them to layer over a shirt, like a sweater. Seems to work especially well over my tartan shirts.

I thought the henley was used to wear it under a shirt, like a t-shirt.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynHighpost
I thought the henley was used to wear it under a shirt, like a t-shirt.
I guess I'm being edgy and fashion-forward, ha ha!

kinetic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eusticity
Uhm. Apparently when one types in "Mister Freedom", for example, the items come up but if you click on say, the workshirt or the denim peacoat, it takes you back to the main page. Yikes.

Yeah, as soon as I saw the sale, I was going to pull the trigger on the Barbour coat. None of the collabs are online though. Searched for Barbour and found the product shot, clicked the link and I'm back on the homepage. I guess I understand why they pull these down, but it's pretty lame.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, don't think so. Saw it on the racks early fall for around 75. Sales clerk even tried real hard to get me to pull the trigger but I didn't like it enough at that price. The chambray's a little thinner than the tab-collar work shirt version.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads